Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 GI sight upgrade options

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mossy Man
    Calguns Addict
    • Jun 2011
    • 7641

    1911 GI sight upgrade options

    what kind of sights are available for 1911s with standard staked front sights and GI rear dovetails?

    Or, how hard is it to have one converted over to novak style?
  • #2
    JDay
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2008
    • 19393

    You should be able to have a competent smith make the Novak cuts.
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

    The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

    Comment

    • #3
      cindynles
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 2806

      Harrison makes a very nice rear sight that fits the GI cut.

      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin,1759

      Comment

      • #4
        L4D
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 3053

        10-8 makes one for the rear GI dovetail.

        For the front... Trying to stake a new sight in sucks. Even with the front staking tool. I got it but I did not like my work.
        I eventually sent it to Novak just for the front.

        The 10-8 is nice because it still has a flat front if you ever needed to rack it against a flat surface.
        RIP iTrader: Feedback Profile for L4D

        Comment

        • #5
          redcliff
          Calguns Addict
          • Feb 2008
          • 5676

          Originally posted by Mossy Man
          what kind of sights are available for 1911s with standard staked front sights and GI rear dovetails?

          Or, how hard is it to have one converted over to novak style?
          Novak has fast turn-around and will do the milling properly. Their prices are usually no higher than a local smith and you will probably get a better job done. They can also fit the sights of your choice at the same time.
          "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
          "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
          "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

          "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
          although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

          Comment

          • #6
            TheExiled
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2012
            • 2933

            I have a set of Trijicon's on my RIA GI project gun, I was intimidated at first but it turned out pretty simple to do
            Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends

            Comment

            • #7
              beretta929mm
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 1492

              You can paint the front sight white.

              Comment

              • #8
                tacticalcity
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Aug 2006
                • 10929

                Originally posted by beretta929mm
                You can paint the front sight white.
                Or Neon Orange.

                Pretty sure Trijicon makes a set of night sights for the GI 1911. They look good and work good. No reason to butcher your slide for Novaks. If you want a more fancy looking 1911, buy one. Keep the GI looking GI, the Trijicons do that.

                Comment

                • #9
                  not-fishing
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 2270

                  I've been thinking along the same lines. (for IDPA )



                  Midway sells the sight, get a Strobel Front Sight Installation and Removal Tool 1911 and a new front

                  Spreading the WORD according to COLT. and Smith, Wesson, Ruger, HK, Sig, High Standard, Browning

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    LovingTheYear1911
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2010
                    • 1925

                    If you're handy and not scared you can do it without any special tools , just a hammer, dremel and punch. I did my gi sights in 15 minutes or less. Very easy to do.

                    For the front, you may need a dremel to grind out the stake. And use the punch for the new stake.
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      TheExiled
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 2933

                      Originally posted by beretta929mm
                      You can paint the front sight white.
                      But that doesn't solve the issue of the GI sights being absolutely minute.
                      Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        beretta929mm
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 1492

                        This is done to retain that look and feel of a GI pattern 1911.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          TheExiled
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2012
                          • 2933

                          Originally posted by beretta929mm
                          This is done to retain that look and feel of a GI pattern 1911.
                          I think since OP asked about Novak cuts, he doesn't care much about that
                          Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Mossy Man
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jun 2011
                            • 7641

                            i'm only looking to upgrade because people complain about the front sight coming off if it's staked instead of dovetailed, and durability of the rear sights.

                            i think i actually have the Colt high-profile GI rear sights. They look like GI sights but they have three dots

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              John Joseph
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2014
                              • 789

                              I haven't had a problem with the staked front sight. The Army didn't see a problem either.
                              In fact the only problems I've heard are with Gold Cups auto shedding their front sight after a steady diet of 230 grain ball.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1