Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Is my gun Microstamping?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    plan-b
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 680

    Originally posted by smith and wesson
    Sorry what I meant to communicate was that the 2 people who talked to me thought that all new handguns that you currently buy have microstamping, so you "can't buy one without it". Ones words were "it's too bad you sold your old handgun, all the new ones have that stupid microstamping stuff", as if the technology was actually being currently implemented.

    I'm well aware of the roster processes.
    Umm, yeah. I still don't think that's the case but I see that it probably depends on how the people you talked to are defining new. If they mean new in the sense that "this 3rd gen Glock 19 is brand new in the box," nothing's changed. It can still be sold without microstamping because the configuration hasn't changed from Glock for what they submitted to roster testing. That's the point I was getting at.

    Comment

    • #17
      JMP
      Internet Warrior
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Feb 2012
      • 17056

      CZ, not yet. However, Glocks bought in the last five years have microstamping; it's just nobody knows about it yet.

      Comment

      • #18
        nn3453
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 2245

        Originally posted by hossb7
        Think bigger picture: gun manufactures WON'T put microstamping capabilities on guns (regardless of whether the tech exists or not) therefore the law will effectively outlaw new production handguns for sale in California.
        This. Microstamping is effectively a ban on new semi auto handguns. Can't get new ones on the roster. The people who introduced the bill aren't idiots and know that it is not viable. This is intentional and not incidental.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #19
          smith and wesson
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2013
          • 1877

          Originally posted by plan-b
          Umm, yeah. I still don't think that's the case but I see that it probably depends on how the people you talked to are defining new. If they mean new in the sense that "this 3rd gen Glock 19 is brand new in the box," nothing's changed. It can still be sold without microstamping because the configuration hasn't changed from Glock for what they submitted to roster testing. That's the point I was getting at.
          I don't understand the point your trying to make.

          Comment

          • #20
            smith and wesson
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2013
            • 1877

            Originally posted by plan-b
            Umm, yeah. I still don't think that's the case but I see that it probably depends on how the people you talked to are defining new. If they mean new in the sense that "this 3rd gen Glock 19 is brand new in the box," nothing's changed. It can still be sold without microstamping because the configuration hasn't changed from Glock for what they submitted to roster testing. That's the point I was getting at.
            I don't understand the point your trying to make. From what they told me they thought all guns being sold we're implementing microstamping, I do t understand why you keep trying to counter my point. Again the two people that talked to me thought all guns had microstamping, ALL new guns, they didn't understand that the technology doesn't exist. Just like the op didn't know if his gun was microstamping or not. You keep trying to make some point about guns that are already on the roster that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

            Comment

            • #21
              smith and wesson
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2013
              • 1877



              Here's the conversation.
              Sadly, things sent in text messages often use language that is NSFW; the embedded image has that quality, so I removed the IMG tags - folks can still look it up.

              As far as anyone is aware, no guns have the microstamping technology.

              // Librarian

              Last edited by Librarian; 03-17-2014, 7:08 PM.

              Comment

              • #22
                jeff r
                Junior Member
                • Feb 2013
                • 48

                Originally posted by JMP
                CZ, not yet. However, Glocks bought in the last five years have microstamping; it's just nobody knows about it yet.
                Got a source for that?

                Comment

                • #23
                  tmncali
                  In Memoriam
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 657

                  Originally posted by jeff r
                  Got a source for that?

                  Maybe a joke?

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Sunday
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jan 2010
                    • 5574

                    Micro stamped?
                    California's politicians and unionized government employees are a crime gang that makes the Mexican drug cartels look like a Girl Scout Troop in comparison.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      salsa56
                      Junior Member
                      • Feb 2014
                      • 39

                      So is it safe to assume that any gun manufacturer that wishes to update the manufacture of its handguns will, like S&W and Ruger are apparently doing with their's, either need to micro stamp or not sell the upgraded versions in CA?

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Librarian
                        Admin and Poltergeist
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 44689

                        Originally posted by salsa56
                        So is it safe to assume that any gun manufacturer that wishes to update the manufacture of its handguns will, like S&W and Ruger are apparently doing with their's, either need to micro stamp or not sell the upgraded versions in CA?
                        Unless the law goes away first, yes.

                        See also the sticky in this forum, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=884786
                        ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                        Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          hossb7
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2006
                          • 3285

                          Originally posted by salsa56
                          So is it safe to assume that any gun manufacturer that wishes to update the manufacture of its handguns will, like S&W and Ruger are apparently doing with their's, either need to micro stamp or not sell the upgraded versions in CA?
                          Yes, that's what's happening.

                          Which is why their pistols are not being renewed on the list. They're making enough changes that they're assigning new SKU numbers and the DOJ Roster would need a new gun to be submitted. Because of the new law, all new guns being submitted MUST have microstamping.

                          Therefore no new handguns are being submitted for testing.
                          We in Bangor, Maine now baby.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Murmur
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2013
                            • 659

                            Originally posted by pdq_wizzard
                            I think the point is "it can be done" but it is not viable and it won't last more that ~ 1 to 10 shots then it will not show up anymore (at lest it will not be readable) it will add $$ to the cost of a gun thus make it harder for people to exercise there rights.

                            it really is just a feel good law for those that think if you outlaw enough things then we will all be safe.
                            But wait, they told the governor it would only add about $0.50 to the cost of a gun so he would sign the bill. I can't believe they weren't truthful. Off topic, but I have a bridge to sell you.

                            Edit: I agree with everything you said BTW.
                            Last edited by Murmur; 03-18-2014, 7:19 PM.
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Murmur
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2013
                              • 659

                              Originally posted by Librarian
                              Unless the law goes away first, yes.

                              See also the sticky in this forum, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=884786
                              Librarian - if micro stamping goes away say end of next year, can the manufacturers like S&W and Ruger get their previously rostered guns back on the roster at that point? Or will too much time have elapsed and they will have to resubmit for safety testing?
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Librarian
                                Admin and Poltergeist
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 44689

                                Originally posted by Murmur
                                Librarian - if micro stamping goes away say end of next year, can the manufacturers like S&W and Ruger get their previously rostered guns back on the roster at that point? Or will too much time have elapsed and they will have to resubmit for safety testing?
                                I don't see microstamping going away unless the whole Roster goes away.
                                ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                                Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1