Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock 20 Gen 4 Problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    PandaBear
    Member
    • Apr 2013
    • 485

    Update

    I've now tried

    15 round factory mag
    10 round factory mag
    15 round factory mag blocked to 10 rounds
    10 round factory mag with Wolff 10% spring

    I shoot mostly UW 165 TMJ, but have also tried UW 180 TMJ, UW 150 Nosler, and UW 135 Noslers.

    The last round in the mag still fails to feed almost every dang time after a previous round has been cycled.

    Completely stock aside from the OEM extended slide release (Glock 20 SF version)

    Comment

    • #17
      Oceanbob
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jun 2010
      • 12720

      Originally posted by PandaBear
      Update

      I've now tried

      15 round factory mag
      10 round factory mag
      15 round factory mag blocked to 10 rounds
      10 round factory mag with Wolff 10% spring

      I shoot mostly UW 165 TMJ, but have also tried UW 180 TMJ, UW 150 Nosler, and UW 135 Noslers.

      The last round in the mag still fails to feed almost every dang time after a previous round has been cycled.



      Completely stock aside from the OEM extended slide release (Glock 20 SF version)
      Bump up the recoil spring to slow the slide down. I suggest a 22 pounder.

      Also, perhaps the slide release spring is weak. Swap out a standard slide release to check.
      May the Bridges I burn light the way.

      Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

      Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

      Comment

      • #18
        PandaBear
        Member
        • Apr 2013
        • 485

        I had the same extended slide release as the one in my Glock 19 and then I bought the one specifically for the Glock 20 and I've definitely put less than 100 rounds with it installed.

        I will switch it back the the one it came with and give it a try. If that doesn't work, I'll try the 22lb spring from Glockmeister made specifically for Gen 4's.

        I appreciate the input.

        Comment

        • #19
          SILENT GUNMAN
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 1468

          I had this same problem with hpr hollow points. It looked like the last round was getting hung up on the bottom of the feed ramp. I called Glock and they wanted me to send in my brand new gun. Before sending it off I decided to polish the feed ramp a little bit with my dremmel and try different ammo. I ended up running about 300 .40s&w loads through it and now it will anything I put in it.
          "Suck on my machine gun" (Ted Nugent)

          Originally posted by Fishslayer
          "9mm is for killing Europeans. For truly dangerous people you need a .45."
          Originally posted by fighterpilot562
          I showed up naked to ur house with cake. But you weren't home. YOur wife maced me. And I was arrested

          Comment

          • #20
            mulyhuntr
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2013
            • 786

            I had the same issue with my gen 4 g20 and underwood ammo. Installed a 22lb recoil spring and haven't had it happen since.

            Comment

            • #21
              Bill Steele
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2010
              • 5028

              Originally posted by mulyhuntr
              I had the same issue with my gen 4 g20 and underwood ammo. Installed a 22lb recoil spring and haven't had it happen since.
              I run a 22lb RSA on my G20SF to help slow things down with hot loads, but I am not getting how the RSA will effect the premature lock back. In my experience that is always caused by interference of the bullet ogive and the slide lock, or the shooter riding the slide lock up with his/her grip. If anything, I would expect the higher felt recoil with the heavier spring to make any bullet movement forward in the magazine worse.

              Not arguing, just thinking out loud.
              When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

              Comment

              • #22
                PandaBear
                Member
                • Apr 2013
                • 485

                If I was riding the slide release, then how come I haven't had the slide lock back when I have 2 or more rounds left in the mag? I let a RO shoot my 20 (he used to own one) and the slide locked back with 1 round in the mag on his first try.

                Comment

                • #23
                  tacos3
                  • Nov 2013
                  • 499

                  I had the same problem on my G19 Gen 3 on 12 of my 13 mags only with defense ammo. It did it with Critical Duty, Defense, PDX1, God Dot, Corbon, everything I had. The edge of the hollow point would jam against the bottom of the feed ramp only on the last round.

                  I took it to my LGS and had a Glock armorer look at it. Glock sent 12 new followers and the problem was fixed.

                  Hope this helps.

                  P.S. My 19 has a Glock extended slide release on it if that makes any difference. I have a buddy whose G19 Gen 4 did the same thing and we took our guns to the LGS at the same time. The followers fixed his issue too.
                  "never bother your enemy while he is making a mistake" ......Napoleon

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    PandaBear
                    Member
                    • Apr 2013
                    • 485

                    Yes the 9mm 2183 followers are known for being faulty.

                    I have the 10mm3 followers.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      PowMeow
                      Member
                      • Apr 2014
                      • 475

                      Glock 20 Gen 4 FTF Issues

                      My g19 also Jams and the feed ramp with HP ammo and the 2183 followers
                      Last edited by PowMeow; 05-11-2014, 9:56 AM.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        _TomT_
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2013
                        • 3354

                        Do you guys have any luck getting Glock to send the 9mm/3 followers? Everytime I called them they wanted me to send in the entire pistol and all of the malfunctioning mags.

                        Fortunately I don't have any problems with mine *knock on wood, its almost like they knew somehow. Maybe I should sound more angry over the phone.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          PowMeow
                          Member
                          • Apr 2014
                          • 475

                          Originally posted by _TomT_
                          Do you guys have any luck getting Glock to send the 9mm/3 followers? Everytime I called them they wanted me to send in the entire pistol and all of the malfunctioning mags.



                          Fortunately I don't have any problems with mine *knock on wood, its almost like they knew somehow. Maybe I should sound more angry over the phone.

                          I still haven't tried. From my extensive research guys get the following answers:

                          -Send us the pistol
                          -we'll send you replacement 9mm3
                          -there's nothing wrong with the 2183 followers

                          I've read that polishing the feed ramp could help, but I'm apprehensive to mess with the barrel.

                          It's really too bad that glock isn't owning up.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            BunBunGlock29
                            Junior Member
                            • Mar 2014
                            • 2

                            I don't have a G20 but I had the same issue with my gen4 G29. In the first dozen mags I ran through it, I had the slide lock back with one remaining round twice. I believe the problem is the follower. If you remove the slide and place a magazine with one round in it, the free play from the magazine catch will let it push the slide stop lever up enough to engage the slide. I substituted .40 cal #8 followers in a couple of mags and even pushing up on the base of the magazine it will not engage the slide stop lever. I don't have my lights set up so i can't get photos so I hope this is a clear enough explanation. All my mags came with 10mm #3 followers so I assume that is current production.

                            I will not be able to range test this for another month because of work but would appreciate any feedback.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              PandaBear
                              Member
                              • Apr 2013
                              • 485

                              Interesting. I might have to order some 10mm2 followers. Anyone know if 10mm2 followers will work with Gen 4 mags?

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Bill Steele
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Sep 2010
                                • 5028

                                Originally posted by PandaBear
                                If I was riding the slide release, then how come I haven't had the slide lock back when I have 2 or more rounds left in the mag? I let a RO shoot my 20 (he used to own one) and the slide locked back with 1 round in the mag on his first try.
                                Nobody said you were riding the slide, read the whole post, jeez louise.
                                When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1