Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Help with older model Browning Hi-Power

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • scotchblade
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2012
    • 795

    Help with older model Browning Hi-Power

    I've always loved this gun and would like to pursue getting one. I'm still a relative noob to this and need to understand a couple of things before spending much time.

    First of all, there is the roster. Usually it is very specific about SKU numbers, model numbers, etc. With the Browning, it is kind of vague. This is right from the list:

    Hi-Power Blue Adj Sights / Steel Pistol 4.66" 9mm 7/26/2014
    Hi-Power Blue Fixed Sights / Steel Pistol 4.66" 9mm 7/26/2014
    Hi-Power MKIII Fixed Sights / Steel Pistol 4.66" 9mm 7/2/2014

    Based on the above, what would exclude a Hi-Power made in the seventies other than the 13 round mag?

    If the answer is nothing (I doubt it), could I buy one out of state and have it shipped here without the magazine?

    I guess a SSE is another option, but I would still need a 10 round magazine that fits. Are they fairly easy to find?

    Any advice in general on finding one of these classics?
  • #2
    LT1Silverhawk
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 2063

    If you are buying one made in the 70s, then you'd be buying would be a used gun. In that case, the roster does not apply.
    "...but I am still learning." - Jerry Miculek

    "It is critical to understand this: Criminals don't fear guns. Criminals fear resolutely armed men or women they believe will actually shoot them." - Massad Ayoob

    Selling Scopes.

    Comment

    • #3
      scotchblade
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2012
      • 795

      Originally posted by LT1Silverhawk
      If you are buying one made in the 70s, then you'd be buying would be a used gun. In that case, the roster does not apply.
      But it would if purchasing from a seller out of state on Gun Broker or similar site, right?

      Comment

      • #4
        LT1Silverhawk
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2012
        • 2063

        Ah thats an interesting one. Here is what I found online:

        Buying a used gun that is not on the roster

        Looks like SSE might be the only way.
        "...but I am still learning." - Jerry Miculek

        "It is critical to understand this: Criminals don't fear guns. Criminals fear resolutely armed men or women they believe will actually shoot them." - Massad Ayoob

        Selling Scopes.

        Comment

        • #5
          scotchblade
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2012
          • 795

          What I don't understand is the vague listing on the roster for the Hi-Power.

          Using an older Smith and Wesson as an example, I know I can't buy a model 29-2 and have it brought in because only the 29-10 is on the list.

          But with the Browning, they are not making that distinction because there is no model number or SKU number. Blue, fixed or adj sights and barrel length are the only specifics. What am I missing here?

          Comment

          • #6
            dfletcher
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Dec 2006
            • 14811

            Originally posted by LT1Silverhawk
            If you are buying one made in the 70s, then you'd be buying would be a used gun. In that case, the roster does not apply.
            I'd be interested in knowing for certain if that is true. For sake of discussion let's say I go to a CA gun store and tell the nice owner that I'd like to sell my previously bought in CA Springfield EMP. The EMP is currently listed and it's exactly as bought new - and I offer to sell it to the gun store for $300.00. They are interested. The gun store can't buy it from me, put it in their dealer stock and sell it?

            Conversely, let's say a CA gun store has a never before sold Browning HI Power made about 1975. Never been sold, it's new - that can be sold in CA?

            I don't know the answer, have really never considered it before.
            GOA Member & SAF Life Member

            Comment

            • #7
              mievil
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2008
              • 1788

              Originally posted by LT1Silverhawk
              If you are buying one made in the 70s, then you'd be buying would be a used gun. In that case, the roster does not apply.
              Incorrect. The roster applies to all handguns unless they are C&R, or sold PPT. Simply being used does not exclude it from the roster.

              To the OP. If you buy a used Hi Power off Gunbroker and it is shipped to your FFL, the roster applies. a 1970s Hi Power by design is not a MKIII. So it would have to be blued with adjustable or fixed sights to meet the roster (since they are not identified by generation) and you obviously could not get the mags unless your FFL had a hi cap permit and could block them before transfer.

              Comment

              • #8
                mievil
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2008
                • 1788

                The FN Hi Power is listed on the roster and is not identified by any other means other than "Steel" so you should be able to get any gen of that particular pistol in (excluding mags if they were greater than 10rds).

                Comment

                • #9
                  Von_Richthofen
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 374

                  Buy a C&R Hi-Power with zero CA issues. I put a new stainless barrel in my WW2 variant and refreshed the springs. Works like a champ.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    LT1Silverhawk
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2012
                    • 2063

                    Originally posted by mievil
                    Incorrect. The roster applies to all handguns unless they are C&R, or sold PPT. Simply being used does not exclude it from the roster.
                    Right, thank you for correcting that. PPT was what I had in mind when I wrote that. Should have been more clear.
                    "...but I am still learning." - Jerry Miculek

                    "It is critical to understand this: Criminals don't fear guns. Criminals fear resolutely armed men or women they believe will actually shoot them." - Massad Ayoob

                    Selling Scopes.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      nikki#2
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 2164

                      Have you checked out this video?

                      Early on he compares his 80's model with a newer MIII:

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        scotchblade
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2012
                        • 795

                        For what it's worth, I dropped in to my LGS today, to better understand the specifics of the roster regarding the 9mm Hi-Power.

                        Bottom line is there are NO SPECIFICS. As long as it's blue, has fixed or adj sights and meets the barrel length (or thereabouts) it's good to go. Does not matter if it's new or 40 years old.

                        This is the first time I ran into a situation like this regarding the roster. Usually, it's pretty defined on what you can or cannot have brought in from out of state. Hopefully I can shop around and find something in the Greater Bay Area.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          nikki#2
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 2164

                          Good luck on your search for this Classic Beauty! For reference, I paid $890 + $5.99 shipping from grabagun ~6 months ago. Unfortunately, they are currently out of stock...





                          Comment

                          • #14
                            scotchblade
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2012
                            • 795

                            Man, that sure is purty! *drool*

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              highpower
                              Calguns Addict
                              • May 2012
                              • 5332

                              Yours is much nicer than mine. But then again, mine is 45 years old and has been carried a lot.

                              MLC member.

                              Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

                              Dumocraps suck balls.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1