Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Moving Pistols to CA

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ShootnClimb
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2014
    • 1

    Moving Pistols to CA

    Hey everyone,

    I am currently stationed in GA in the Army, but will be moving back to CA in a few months as I transition out of the military. One of my concerns currently is moving my rifles and pistols back with me. I understand the process with rifles but I am confused on pistols. For my AR pistol can I bring it with me or do I need to have an 80% lower built pistol. Regarding my XD(M) am I fine as long as I don't have threaded barrel and magazines over 10 rounds. If anyone can clarify for me it would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you and nice to be here.
  • #2
    stryper
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 569

    You're fine to bring all your firearms as long as they are Ca compliant (bullet buttons and no high cap mags or threaded barrels. Off roster pistols rules don't apply because you owned them before you moved to Ca. On your AR pistol, just make sure it has a bullet button and has no SBR features. Here's a link to the CA DOJ website pertaining to moving to Ca with firearms:

    Pursuant to Penal Code sections 17000 and 27560, any person who moves into California with a firearm is considered a "Personal Firearm Importer" and is required by California law to do one of the following within 60 days: Complete and submit a New Resident Report of Firearm Ownership (BOF 4010A), pdf along with $19.00 to the California Department of Justice, Bureau of Firearms; Sell or transfer the firearm to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction; or Sell or transfer the firearm to a California

    Comment

    • #3
      doraemon
      Junior Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 37

      Hello, im in the same bout as shootnclimb,, moving back to cali...do i have to register all my weapons?
      Last edited by doraemon; 02-19-2014, 10:40 AM. Reason: Nvm i just the link

      Comment

      • #4
        doraemon
        Junior Member
        • Jan 2013
        • 37

        Is this 19$ fee for each weapon?

        Comment

        • #5
          troysland
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 2182

          Originally posted by doraemon
          Hello, im in the same bout as shootnclimb,, moving back to cali...do i have to register all my weapons?
          The link above your post says to register within 60 days. Include $19 using the pdf form. They'll run another background check to verify eligibility.
          Originally posted by Colonel David Crockett
          "Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"

          Comment

          • #6
            troysland
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 2182

            Originally posted by doraemon
            Is this 19$ fee for each weapon?
            I think it's per application. The form has space for 3 firearms and states to use multiple forms for additional firearms.
            Originally posted by Colonel David Crockett
            "Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"

            Comment

            • #7
              Librarian
              Admin and Poltergeist
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Oct 2005
              • 44689

              Folks moving to CA should read this wiki article -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Mo..._with_firearms -- first, then browse a bit.
              ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

              Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

              Comment

              • #8
                REDdawn6
                Senior Member
                • May 2011
                • 2447

                What rifles ???
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  doraemon
                  Junior Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 37

                  Is there another law with regards to just bringing in a stripped lower?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    John Galt
                    Member
                    • May 2006
                    • 156

                    Stripped lower is considered a long gun. If I were you guys and didn't plan on staying long term I would store my firearms out of state. Only bring and register what you need.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1