Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Can somebody explain this to me?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UnderADyingSun
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2014
    • 91

    Can somebody explain this to me?

    So I'm in the market for my first handgun. I've narrowed my choices and my purchase will fall between either a five seven, cz 75bd, or some variety of affordable .45. I know it's not very narrowed, but I'm leaning towards the FN. Read below

    Realizing now that the laws here are ridiculous, although I don't mind making CERTAIN concessions with the state ( it seems alot of gun owners are willing to make no compromises ), I'm needing to understand the legality of the aforementioned five seven.

    A friend of a friend has one for concealed carry, and although I don't know if he abides by the 10 round magazine limit I DO know his variant has the threaded barrel. This is what I'm interested in. According to him, he had it gifted from FAMILY out of state. This leads me to question what kind of loopholes there are for a prospective buyer such as myself. Would it be possible to have a buyer out of state just "gift" me the firearm therefore making it legal to possess? Please enlighten me. Thank you
    "To understand via the heart is not to understand."

    Exodus 31:15 , Deuteronomy 17:2-7 , Deuteronomy 13:13-19 , Leviticus 24:16 , Leviticus 20:9, Leviticus 20:10 , Leviticus 20:13 , Deuteronomy 21:18-21 , Matthew 18: 7-9 , 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 , 1 Timothy 2:11-12 , Leviticus 25:44, Exodus 21:20 , Titus 2:9 , Isaiah 13:15/16/18 , Hosea 13:16 , Numbers 31:17-18
  • #2
    berg
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 1963

    Are you talking about a straw man purchase?
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser people are full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell

    Comment

    • #3
      antiseen
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2013
      • 837

      I thought a threaded barrel on a pistol was illegal under any circumstance(in CA)? I'm sure someone will come along and clarify.

      Comment

      • #4
        rm1911
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2013
        • 4073

        Nice first post.

        We here at CG are law abiding citizens. We might not like the laws and we work through legal political means to have them changed. We do not advocate anything which might even be slightly contrary to the law.

        Go to a gun store. Ask questions.

        Anything you do that is violating any law is entirely on you and in no way reflects the membership here.
        NRA Life Member since 1990

        They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

        Comment

        • #5
          UnderADyingSun
          Junior Member
          • Feb 2014
          • 91

          Originally posted by berg
          Are you talking about a straw man purchase?
          I suppose that I am. Unfortunately I don't have family in the U.S. outside of california, I'm questioning the legitimacy of his claim ( noting it was family that gave it to him ) and I'm wondering if I can replicate these conditions.

          It seems that if this holds this would be a reasonable, albeit more costly, method of acquiring certain firearms. Hopefully somebody can offer some insights.

          EDIT- @rm1911 I didn't realize this was illegal. Surely it can't be given that my friend was issued a ccw with that respective firearm. If it is illegal I'm not personally advocating it, for this site's sake if that's your position, but it would be useful in helping people acquire firearms they otherwise couldn't.
          Last edited by UnderADyingSun; 02-10-2014, 6:26 PM.
          "To understand via the heart is not to understand."

          Exodus 31:15 , Deuteronomy 17:2-7 , Deuteronomy 13:13-19 , Leviticus 24:16 , Leviticus 20:9, Leviticus 20:10 , Leviticus 20:13 , Deuteronomy 21:18-21 , Matthew 18: 7-9 , 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 , 1 Timothy 2:11-12 , Leviticus 25:44, Exodus 21:20 , Titus 2:9 , Isaiah 13:15/16/18 , Hosea 13:16 , Numbers 31:17-18

          Comment

          • #6
            munkeeboi
            Veteran Member
            • May 2008
            • 4997

            what a first post, but I'll play along

            First of all, there are four 5.7's currently on the CA approved roster. If the one you plan on getting is one of those, then there are no hoops to jump through assuming your FFL can find one for you or you find an FFL that has one in stock

            I also think that it is illegal for a pistol to have a threaded barrel (except for bullet buttoned pistols, I think)

            The +10rd mag your friend is iffy to me too. He might be LEO or he might be breaking the law, not enough info to decide one way or the other. Either way, it does not matter in regards to your purchase decision, since you did not have the mag prior 2000 and I doubt you are LEO (or maybe you are).

            whatever pistol you do get, I can guarantee you 2 things.
            - It will not have a threaded barrel
            - You will not be able to get +10 rd magazines with the gun purchase.
            Last edited by munkeeboi; 02-10-2014, 6:37 PM.


            AK, AR, & Custom Featureless grip wraps
            iTrader Thread

            Comment

            • #7
              Oceanbob
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jun 2010
              • 12720

              Since you have no vertical family members outside of California, you are limited to:

              1. Buying from a private party inside California, face to face. (Off roster guns and guns on the roster)

              2. Buying the gun on the roster from an FFL. Check the roster to see if the 5.7 is still on the roster.

              3. If a particular model 5.7 is on the roster, you can make arrangements to have it shipped in to your FFL. Perfectly legal, however some out of state FFLs simply will not ship to California.

              4. Threaded barrels are illegal. Any magazine more than 10 rounds are also illegal. You can purchase 10 rounders for the 5.7 however.

              5. I've owned a 5.7 and it's a fun novelty gun but I wouldn't list it on my carry permit. It's too big, the ammo is weird and scarce and a 9, .40 or .45 ACP does a better job in a more affordable common sense fashion. Just my opinion.
              May the Bridges I burn light the way.

              Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

              Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

              Comment

              • #8
                saudadeii
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Dec 2012
                • 3468

                Welcome to Calguns. I would *HIGHLY* encourage you to read the Wiki:



                It will give you a good review of current CA law, including purchasing of firearms.

                You can then ask more pointed questions, rather than sound like you're trying to circumvent CA law. We may not like many of the laws, but we follow them. Orange is *not* the new black.
                My Marketplace Feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...k#post54003245

                Comment

                • #9
                  Sigbird
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2013
                  • 1237

                  You can purchase any off roster gun as long as a out of state FFL will ship to your FFL doing the SSE. Very few FFL's will do the SSE even though ot is still legal in Ca. You can also have any gun shipped from a out of state private party if your FFL will accept this. It's all about finding the right FFL who will take care of you as the customer and still abide by all the Ca. Laws.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    phase1
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2013
                    • 1753

                    forget the the threaded barrel, & get one through SSE... those things are hard to find, though
                    Originally posted by Intimid8tor
                    I don't need one but I might need one.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      OUTLAWZ
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 833

                      I smell trouble.. Straw purchases are illegal. Threaded barrel on pistol also illegal (LEO exempt, which you are not) unless permanent compensator pinned on barrel . 10+ Round magazines are also illegal (LEO exempt, Which you are not). Do not troll for loopholes because you will not find them here on Calguns. Most of us here are God fearing, law abiding, tax paying citizens of this once great state. Besides, Who carries a FN 5.7 for CCW? Too much time on Call Of Duty will turn your brain into mush. Good luck

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Cyc Wid It
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 4485

                        You'll need a backpack to CCW one of those.
                        WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          LBDamned
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 19040

                          Originally posted by OUTLAWZ
                          I smell trouble.. Straw purchases are illegal. Threaded barrel on pistol also illegal (LEO exempt, which you are not) unless permanent compensator pinned on barrel . 10+ Round magazines are also illegal (LEO exempt, Which you are not). Do not troll for loopholes because you will not find them here on Calguns. Most of us here are God fearing, law abiding, tax paying citizens of this once great state. Besides, Who carries a FN 5.7 for CCW? Too much time on Call Of Duty will turn your brain into mush. Good luck
                          +1

                          first post no less... seems fishy to me
                          "Kamala is a radical leftist lunatic" ~ Donald J. Trump

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            captbilly
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 836

                            God fearing?

                            What is "god fearing"? Do you mean religious?

                            Originally posted by OUTLAWZ
                            I smell trouble.. Straw purchases are illegal. Threaded barrel on pistol also illegal (LEO exempt, which you are not) unless permanent compensator pinned on barrel . 10+ Round magazines are also illegal (LEO exempt, Which you are not). Do not troll for loopholes because you will not find them here on Calguns. Most of us here are God fearing, law abiding, tax paying citizens of this once great state. Besides, Who carries a FN 5.7 for CCW? Too much time on Call Of Duty will turn your brain into mush. Good luck

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              LBDamned
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Feb 2011
                              • 19040

                              "Kamala is a radical leftist lunatic" ~ Donald J. Trump

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1