Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

RIA Tactical mag suggestions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • orangeusa
    • Jul 2009
    • 9055

    RIA Tactical mag suggestions

    I only have 1 mag. I usually like to have 4 or more for most guns.

    Mecgar has been awesome for 92fs, HiPower, Ruger P series.

    My question is are full size 1911 mags the same? Or should I go with RIA mags? The one I have is marked Italy...

    Thx.
  • #2
    JanG
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 1005

    1911s are very picky with magazines. The factory Italian marked are made by ACT, I've never had luck with those. My Citadel likes Chip McCormick Power mags. My friends Kimber likes Wilson Combat. I've also had good experiences with Kimber Pro mags. I stay away from Mec-Gar, Promags, and Checkmate. But some people out there swear by them. YMMV really sums it up here.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Copy and paste this bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.!!!
    Reply With Quote

    Originally posted by AutoDriver
    Most in-laws have a no return policy on wives. But I do understand how you feel. As soon as I left the chappel, I started thinking maybe I should have gotten a different woman. Oh well, I'll just have to wait another 30 years to get the other one. Oh, the pain ...

    Comment

    • #3
      desert_dick
      Member
      • Nov 2010
      • 199

      Can't go wrong with Wilson Combat 1911 magazines. Never had trouble in any 1911 I've owned.

      -Rich
      Born & raised in Sparks, NV.
      Worked in the Silicon Valley for 25 years.
      Recently relocated to the Free State Of Florida

      Comment

      • #4
        Fishslayer
        In Memoriam
        • Jan 2010
        • 13035

        Originally posted by orangeusa

        My question is are full size 1911 mags the same? Or should I go with RIA mags? The one I have is marked Italy...

        Thx.
        It's probably Mecgar. I'd heard RIA changed from the ACT that came with mine and now rightfully rests in a landfill somewhere.

        1911 mags are 1911 mags but some are better than others and sometimes a particular gun might prefer one brand over another.

        Mecgars are good. I have a couple. My mag of choice are the Checkmate 7 rounders with dimpled skirted follower and hybrid feed lips. Either one is good bang for the buck. I get mine from topgunsupply.com.
        "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
        You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
        You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


        Originally Posted by JackRydden224
        I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
        Originally posted by redcliff
        A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

        Comment

        • #5
          trigger945
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2012
          • 5795

          If the OEM mags work for you without any issues, then I don't see why you shouldn't get more of them.

          However, preference also comes into play. I prefer Kimber KimPro Tac mags.

          Good luck!
          One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

          AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

          Comment

          • #6
            sholling
            I need a LIFE!!
            CGN Contributor
            • Sep 2007
            • 10360

            Chip McCormick
            "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

            Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

            Comment

            • #7
              k1dude
              I need a LIFE!!
              • May 2009
              • 15894

              My RIA Tactical works great with ACT, Mec Gar, and Chip McCormick. But it HATES Wilson Combat mags.

              But it may turn out your gun is exactly the opposite of mine. The only way to find out is to try them.
              "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

              "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

              Comment

              • #8
                cc426
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2013
                • 647

                I've had great results with metalform and checkmate

                Wilson's are ok... but give me some occasional problems and need up grading springs

                Comment

                • #9
                  JackRydden224
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 7229

                  My 1911s like the Les Baer magazines. They are expensive but worth the money. The McCormick 10 rounders are good to go as well. Let me know if you want to try them.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    davidb
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 1769

                    shooting stars, powermags, and mec gar have always worked well in my ria

                    i recently started using tripp mags and they work well

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      JanG
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 1005

                      I heard good things about Dawson's too
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Copy and paste this bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.!!!
                      Reply With Quote

                      Originally posted by AutoDriver
                      Most in-laws have a no return policy on wives. But I do understand how you feel. As soon as I left the chappel, I started thinking maybe I should have gotten a different woman. Oh well, I'll just have to wait another 30 years to get the other one. Oh, the pain ...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        akjunkie
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 3497



                        Chip McCormick

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          sigstroker
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 19866

                          The majority of mags I've tried don't work for me. I've had trouble with McCormicks, Wilsons, and Pachmayrs. The only ones I've never had trouble with were Colts.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            redcliff
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 5676

                            My 1911's run well with most any good magazine, although Tripp Research and CMC are my favorites. Testing for and setting proper extractor tension can make a huge difference in what magazines work in a 1911.
                            "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
                            "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
                            "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

                            "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
                            although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              JimA77
                              Junior Member
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 86

                              Originally posted by akjunkie
                              I picked up two of these at Turners they work great in "my" RIA Tactical. I need to pick up a few more and this is about $8 less each than I paid.
                              Saying people don't need guns because we have police is like saying we don't need fire extinguishers because we have firemen.

                              Originally posted by morfeeis
                              Am I a bad person for wondeing why the French even need guns, won't it just slow them down as they run away

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1