Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Colt Commander

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • glamisduner
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2013
    • 30

    Colt Commander

    What do people think about the Colt Commander? Am thinking of selling 92fs
    to put towards the Colt.
  • #2
    flyer898
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 2018

    I have a pre-70 series lightweight Commander in .45 acp and it is one of my three preferred carry guns. It is accurate and reliable. It is of reasonable weight and may be carried comfortably in a belt holster while seated in an automobile. Mine was modified by a previous owner. The work was well done and the modifications enhance the function and reliability.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. So said somebody but not Mark Twain
    "One argues to a judge, one does not argue with a judge." Me
    "Never argue unless you are getting paid." CDAA
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw

    Comment

    • #3
      trigger945
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2012
      • 5795

      What do I think of the Colt Commander? I think it is a good gun. Well-balanced.

      I know I miss the one I had...
      One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

      AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

      Comment

      • #4
        jerryg1776
        Senior Member
        • May 2005
        • 1060

        I miss the lightweight commander I had that was stolen.. and that was 20 some years ago. I still miss it! Great carry and shooting piece.

        Comment

        • #5
          scoobydo
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 949

          I'm in the market for one currently.
          As a carry gun, I would get the newer series 80 design. That way it can be carried condition 1 with no worries.
          However, I'm looking for a Series 70 as well. My Ruger CMD is a series 70 design and I love it.
          Thats what turned me into looking for a Colt Commander.

          Comment

          • #6
            pisarski
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2009
            • 740

            I have a lightweight commander and I love that gun it shoots great handles great get one if you can

            Comment

            • #7
              glamisduner
              Junior Member
              • Oct 2013
              • 30

              What do yall think i can get for 92fs has about 650 rounds throught it...

              Comment

              • #8
                Che762x39
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2011
                • 4538

                I had a LW Commander that was made in 1968, it was a nice carry gun but I sold it to get the Officers ACP in 1987.

                I carried a 92FS for a few years. I like full size guns but YMMV as a lawman I like Government Models and my Gold Cup.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Staticsouls
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2012
                  • 974

                  Sell the 92fs and get the 1911 the marines did...ok ok all jokes aside. I have fired both and they are both great, but for me a full sized gun with a full sized round is more fun.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Ranger20
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2008
                    • 1610

                    Never owned a 92... shot one.. meh it's like a SIG 226 only not as good.
                    Owned a bunch of Colts including commanders..both all carbon steel and a Wiley Clapp light weight commander... They are excellent fun shooters. But I'd prefer a 5" 1911 all steel... Hiding it is no harder if you CCW. and the full size guns shoot softer and seem to be more reliable. at least they were for me. YMMV.
                    Best in your quest!
                    Join Date: Oct 2008
                    Location: Sacramento Area
                    Posts: 1,600
                    iTrader: 89 / 100%
                    Feedback Score: 89 reviews, 100%

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      NorCalSJ
                      Member
                      • Mar 2010
                      • 301

                      I also have a lightweight commander and it's my favorite of all

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        redcliff
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 5676

                        Lightweight Commanders are my favorite carry 1911's; despite owning shorter variations of 1911's I prefer the full length grip frames over the shorter Officer type frames.

                        I find the aluminum frame Commanders, being over a half a pound lighter, easier to belt carry for extended periods than a steel Government. The shorter slide also clears the holster faster in a draw.

                        Commanders do require a bit more maintenance than Government Models with more frequent spring replacements and a need to have extractor tension set properly. But they're no where near as maintenance intensive as the shorter Officer and Defender type pistols imho.

                        Since I have the luxury of a number of 1911's I have a steel frame Combat Commander set up nearly identical to my lw Commander and use that for heavy range use/round counts and keep the wear down on my alloy frame carry pistol.
                        "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
                        "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
                        "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

                        "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
                        although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Apec
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2011
                          • 1363

                          Originally posted by Killer Bee
                          buy a Commander and keep the Beretta.. high probablility you'll regret selling it..

                          both excellent weapons for their design intent..



                          [ATTACH]300472[/ATTACH]
                          This. Got a 92FS and a Colt CCO (a Commander with an Officer's frame).
                          WTB:
                          Emerson SOCFK-A

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            glamisduner
                            Junior Member
                            • Oct 2013
                            • 30

                            Originally posted by Killer Bee
                            buy a Commander and keep the Beretta.. high probablility you'll regret selling it..

                            both excellent weapons for their design intent..



                            [ATTACH]300472[/ATTACH]
                            Your are right both are exellent.I bought the 92fs because it is current
                            military carry gun. My dream is to one day have every military weapon carried since world war II. I have along way to go currently do have a
                            03a3, 92fs, colt goverment model 45acp and last but not least a couple
                            m16 style rifles.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Omil
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 2130

                              Originally posted by redcliff
                              Lightweight Commanders are my favorite carry 1911's; despite owning shorter variations of 1911's I prefer the full length grip frames over the shorter Officer type frames.

                              I find the aluminum frame Commanders, being over a half a pound lighter, easier to belt carry for extended periods than a steel Government. The shorter slide also clears the holster faster in a draw.

                              Commanders do require a bit more maintenance than Government Models with more frequent spring replacements and a need to have extractor tension set properly. But they're no where near as maintenance intensive as the shorter Officer and Defender type pistols imho.

                              Since I have the luxury of a number of 1911's I have a steel frame Combat Commander set up nearly identical to my lw Commander and use that for heavy range use/round counts and keep the wear down on my alloy frame carry pistol.

                              +1...
                              sigpic
                              All Gave Some, Some Gave All...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1