Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.45 acp Owners, I need your feedback please.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Barang
    CGN Contributor
    • Aug 2013
    • 13409

    .45 acp Owners, I need your feedback please.

    My first time to own a 45 caliber and I want to ask you guys a question regarding different bullets' grain. There's no right or wrong answer here, just an evaluation from your experiences.

    I'm interested to know the recoil/snap that 185gr against 230gr produce. Do you feel a slight or big difference?
  • #2
    Tank 57
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2009
    • 4179

    Honestly,I've never noticed much of a difference.Enjoy shooting .45.Don't feel it's very punishing.

    Almost all my .45 shooting is from full size 1911s or my SIG P220.Might be more noticable in a smaller gun.

    Comment

    • #3
      Barang
      CGN Contributor
      • Aug 2013
      • 13409

      Ok thanks! Just brought home a P220 last night and not sure what grain to get tomorrow to feed her next week when I take her to the range. I guess for HD I'll pick 185gr to get more velocity?

      Comment

      • #4
        Mr.Hipp
        Senior Member
        • May 2011
        • 539

        Only difference I ever noticed shooting 45 is a lot more of my shots end up in the bull.

        Comment

        • #5
          the_t0ny
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2010
          • 1010

          185 grain Miwall reloads and PMC bronze 230 grain feel about the same to me in my Springfield 1911. Just the 185 grain bullets leave a nicer hole in paper because they have a flat nose.

          Comment

          • #6
            Bsandoc40
            CGSSA Coordinator
            • Jan 2013
            • 2413

            I haven't really noticed a difference between 185gr and 230gr thru both .45s. A better shooter probably could tell you if there is a difference. But as far as my experience, no noticeable recoil difference.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              P5Ret
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2010
              • 6395

              Originally posted by Barang
              . I guess for HD I'll pick 185gr to get more velocity?
              Stick with what you train with, if you train with 230's get the same for your defensive load, and shoot a box or two before you rely on it as a defensive load. Each gun shoots a bit different, and 185's may or may not be the best round for your gun. My P220 seems to like 230's better, never had a failure it just seems to shoot the 230's a bit more accurately.

              Comment

              • #8
                DT556
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Mar 2011
                • 3671

                I can't tell the difference.

                Comment

                • #9
                  SonofWWIIDI
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 21583

                  Feel the same to me out of my 220. Nice gun BTW.
                  Sorry, not sorry.
                  🎺

                  Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    axhoaxho
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 10085

                    Honestly I cannot really tell the difference.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      HPBrowningMK3
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 1299

                      They feel the same to me in a number of pistols including P220. My guns and I prefer 230 though.

                      I think there is a company that makes hotter 180 defense loads(hollow points) for 45 acp pistols with a shorter barrel and those are reportedly snappier. I don't have any experience with them.
                      sigpicNRA Life Member



                      "The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."

                      "Don't shoot fast, shoot good."

                      -- Clint Smith

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        -hanko
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Jul 2002
                        • 14174

                        Originally posted by Barang
                        My first time to own a 45 caliber and I want to ask you guys a question regarding different bullets' grain weight.

                        . There's no right or wrong answer here, just an evaluation from your experiences.

                        I'm interested to know the recoil/snap that 185gr against 230gr produce. Do you feel a slight or big difference?
                        "Recoil/snap" is not a big deal in .45 acp...it's a low pressure cartridge by design.

                        You can expect a lighter bullet to leave the gun faster, so you will see a tiny bit more muzzle rise v. a heavier bullet.

                        Functionally and all things being equal except weight, a lighter bullet will hit higher on the target.

                        For self-defense ranges, not an issue.

                        For dedicated target shooting, you build the weapon around the cartridge you want to shoot.
                        True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

                        Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

                        Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

                        A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          trigger945
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Sep 2012
                          • 5795

                          Same here, haven't noticed a difference. I'd echo the recommendation to try various types of HP before sticking to one. Make sure they cycle and you can shoot them well.

                          FWIW, I use PDX1.

                          Good luck OP!
                          One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

                          AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SNCaliber
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • 3222

                            cant tell the difference really, but I practice with 230gr
                            -Sang

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              stphnman20
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Feb 2005
                              • 6583

                              Op, do yourself a favor and buy a bunch of 230gr bullets. Shoot till your hands, wrist, arms, back, shoulder and head hurt. Then, shoot some more. Reason why I say this is because you need to develope/stregthen the required muscles for the recoil.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1