Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

FNX45 - Mini Range Report - First Impressions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ruddogg
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 2581

    FNX45 - Mini Range Report - First Impressions

    Hi All,

    I took out my new to me FNX45 yesterday. I had around an hour to kill while waiting to pick up my daughter from ballet/Nutcracker rehearsal. I only had time to run 100 rounds through it.

    Here are my initial impressions.

    - soft recoil... I was pleasantly surprised at how soft the recoil felt for a .45! I have an HK45, several 1911's, and Sig P220's, so I'm no stranger to .45's.
    - trigger - it's no 1911 trigger, but again I was pleasantly surprised. My biggest complaint for the HK45 is the trigger, it feels mushy and too much pre-travel for my tastes. Thus I want to send my HK45 to Gray Guns to have the trigger worked on. However, this FNX45 trigger, I didn't feel that way... definitely pleasantly surprised!
    - size - when I first picked up the FNX45 from OC Armory, I thought that the grip was really big, and the gun itself is big...which it is. However, when shooting it, it felt very well balanced and didn't feel that big.

    - OVERALL - I was pleasantly surprised with the FNX45... it definitely exceeded my expectations, and for the price I got it at, hard to argue anything negative about it.

  • #2
    Sentenza
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 566

    Nice report, I picked up mine last month, and I'm really liking it. I shoot mostly 1911's and while the grip is thick, it's comfortable with the small backstrap - the other one was too large for me. I was also surprised with the trigger - a whole lot less flex/creep than I expected.

    I picked up some Ameriglo night sights and will probably give this one a role as HD.

    Comment

    • #3
      BajaJames83
      Calguns Addict
      • Jun 2011
      • 6043

      very nice!
      I am still debating getting rid of my FNP-45 and getting a FNX-45....
      NRA Endowment Life Member
      USMC 2001-2012

      Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

      John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
      James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

      Comment

      • #4
        GoatLovin
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2008
        • 745

        Is that a Zero Tolerance in the background?

        Oh, nice piece!

        Comment

        • #5
          mulyhuntr
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2013
          • 786

          Guessing the first impression wasn't that good, since it's already for sale?

          Comment

          • #6
            missiontrails
            Calguns Addict
            • Nov 2008
            • 7879

            Originally posted by mulyhuntr
            Guessing the first impression wasn't that good, since it's already for sale?
            He probably realized all the same shortcomings that I found when I owned mine for a short time. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=868062
            However, he did get a PPQ with is a top notch weapon.
            Last edited by missiontrails; 12-22-2013, 7:05 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              AregularGuy
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 2792

              Originally posted by mulyhuntr
              Guessing the first impression wasn't that good, since it's already for sale?
              Good catch! That's funny right there!
              All posts dedicated to the memory of Stronzo Bestiale

              "You want my sister but now scam my Glocks too?
              How about my sister? what can she do now? Still virgin and need Glcok."

              ---ARegularGuy

              NRA Patron Member

              Comment

              • #8
                ruddogg
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2010
                • 2581

                Originally posted by GoatLovin
                Is that a Zero Tolerance in the background?

                Oh, nice piece!
                Yes zt350

                Comment

                • #9
                  ruddogg
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 2581

                  Originally posted by missiontrails
                  He probably realized all the same shortcomings that I found when I owned mine for a short time. However, he did get a PPQ with is a top notch weapon.
                  Yes I DROS'd the PPQ yesterday & couldn't justify keeping all 3. didn't plan on selling the fnx, but 1 had to go, so the fnx drew the short straw. I wish I didn't have to sell it.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    dwtt
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 7470

                    Originally posted by ruddogg
                    Yes I DROS'd the PPQ yesterday & couldn't justify keeping all 3. didn't plan on selling the fnx, but 1 had to go, so the fnx drew the short straw. I wish I didn't have to sell it.
                    Does your FNX45 display those problems of flexing plastic frame like what was described in the other thread? Does the trigger malfunction if you pinch the frame? My FNP45 doesn't do any of those things described in the other thread, so maybe the changes from FNP to FNX might have something to do with it, or maybe missiontrails had a lemon that got through quality control. I don't know.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      missiontrails
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7879

                      Originally posted by dwtt
                      Does your FNX45 display those problems of flexing plastic frame like what was described in the other thread? Does the trigger malfunction if you pinch the frame? My FNP45 doesn't do any of those things described in the other thread, so maybe the changes from FNP to FNX might have something to do with it, or maybe missiontrails had a lemon that got through quality control. I don't know.
                      For the sake of everyone who owns these, I hope mine was a lemon... but I spent enough time in the FN forum to know that these are funky. Heck, my FNP9 even had the slide chewing problem...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ruddogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 2581

                        Originally posted by dwtt
                        Does your FNX45 display those problems of flexing plastic frame like what was described in the other thread? Does the trigger malfunction if you pinch the frame? My FNP45 doesn't do any of those things described in the other thread, so maybe the changes from FNP to FNX might have something to do with it, or maybe missiontrails had a lemon that got through quality control. I don't know.
                        No it doesn't have those problems. And according to fnforum.Com they fixed the heating issue. No pinching either.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1