Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

so loud make it stop

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • savs2k
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 1807

    so loud make it stop

    So i just came back from a fishing trip at a secret spot far far away. Civilization is about a 20 min drive away and there are bobcats and other animals that are in the area so im always packing there. Before i left i had my 1911 that I have been eager to shoot because ive had it for 3 weeks but havent been able to shoot it yet. I couldn't resist and let off a mag. VERY open road no one around no houses cars or anything. It's like staring down the road on HWY 5. But me being an idiot i didnt have my plugs thinking it shouldnt be so bad in open area. Yes i know that is a really stupid idea and well I wont ever be doing that again EVER. Got me thinking though, if you were in a situation where you had to shoot your .45 indoor... im not sure how your hearing would be after that. I don't think I ever want to shoot a gun indoors if i was getting robbed now. How long does ringing and discomfort usually last?

    and the main reason I posted. Is it normal for a jam for a new 1911? the 20thish round ever out of the gun jammed. Or should i be a bit worried. My glock never jammed on me until I started buying walmart winchester white box and i'll have 1 or 2 jams tops out of 200 rounds. I was shooting blazer brass .45 in my kimber.

    by the way the place I was shooting at is a legal place to shoot. People duck hunt there every morning so don't think I just unloaded a few rounds where i shouldn't have.
  • #2
    robbor
    Member
    • May 2008
    • 167

    Alot of people hunt and fire a limited number of round with seemingly very little
    from the muzzle blast. I have about 30% hearing loss in a certain range. Sometimes a shot or 2 wont bother me and other times the phone will start ringing. Alot of shooting with out plug causes the phone to ring all day(no joke).
    I now have more earplug in my safe than guns. I try not to fire my 7" barreled 22lr with out plug, bat usualy doesnt cause problems but seem very loud. The best plugs I have found for me are a discontinued plug but similar versions are still avail. It is a silicone flanged plug in size small, which makes it super simple to insert and no time is wasted waiting for them to expand and minimal pressure is exerted on my brain. They are Bilsom 555, 27db reduction. I have a 300 rum I will absolutely not fire without plugs but my uncle fires his all the time with no protection but he is already def.

    Comment

    • #3
      savs2k
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2007
      • 1807

      yeah i def learned my lesson. No lie the first round i let off i only heard 1/4 of the bang the rest was dead quiet followed by a ring. Kind of like when you watch movies and a a-bomb goes off. Its boom,dead silence, then ring. How are the reusable plugs compared to the disposable ones? I would like reusable ones but the though of reusing ear plugs that often and carrying them grosses me out a bit.

      anyone on my jamming issue?

      Comment

      • #4
        heycorey
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2007
        • 825

        WHAT?

        Comment

        • #5
          TannerBoyl
          Member
          • Apr 2005
          • 183

          If you were in a situation where your life was in danger, your adrenaline levels would pretty much block out the noise. When I took my first wild pig, I shot it charging towards me. I didn't hear sound of my 30-30. I remember the smell of gunpowder and a quick puff of heat, but not any sound. I ran up and brained her with my 357SIG and didn't hear the shots from that either. In terms of being indoors, the sound would bounce off the walls instead of dissapate in the open, but I would assume the same results.

          I don't want to get all preachy, but you did shoot against a backstop, right? You mentioned that it was open space, but I just wanted to emphasize shooting against a known backstop.

          My other concern is taking a never fired pistol as a potential means of self defense. I know, we all get excited about new guns, but as you witnessed sometimes they need a breaking in period. Before I consider a pistol reliable enough for self defense I would run at the very least 200rds of failure free ammo through it. That is my comfort zone, but you may have a different number. Some like the round count to be much higher.

          What kind of failure did you have? Did it fail to feed properly? Did the slide lock up on you? Did it fail to eject? Did you clean and lube your pistol before shooting it? These will help you determine the root cause of your failures.

          Most importantly, what did you catch? I haven't been fishing in way too long and am itching to get back out.

          Comment

          • #6
            chuck762
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2006
            • 1049

            Some pistols require a bit of break in. Also some pistols don't like a certain brand of ammo. I have seen some quality problems with blazer brass so I would suspect the ammo causing the problems. Try another brand and see what happens.

            Comment

            • #7
              robbor
              Member
              • May 2008
              • 167

              you have issues

              If the plugs gross you out, you need to use q tips more often,lol.
              I wipe en on my shirt or wash em if needed. I got a bunch of plastic bottles to put the plugs in because they get dirty just being in your pocket.
              I dont know anything about 1911s but alot of the continual jambs ive
              seen have been from poor ammo, and i dont mean cheap rem or win ammo.
              Also you may want to take the gun apart, clean and check it over real good.
              Oil or grease everything. Polish sliding parts as needed with flitz and a dremmel tool and debur with a very fine hone any sharp edges. Alot of time there is a break in period for new parts, try to pay attention as to when the jambs happen, 1st round, last round, manually cycling the action. I always like to let a semi slam shut, i dont close them softly unless i have to.

              Comment

              • #8
                Synergy
                I need a LIFE!!
                • May 2008
                • 14303

                Originally posted by savs2k

                and the main reason I posted. Is it normal for a jam for a new 1911? the 20thish round ever out of the gun jammed. Or should i be a bit worried. My glock never jammed on me until I started buying walmart winchester white box and i'll have 1 or 2 jams tops out of 200 rounds. I was shooting blazer brass .45 in my kimber.
                1911's need a break in of 500-1000 rounds to be ultimately reliable. How did it jam? Failure to Feed (FTF)? Failure to Extract (FTE)? I would also field strip and lube the gun often during the break in period. Type of lubrication is a personal preference and a message board battle like Ford vs. Chevy. I use Mobil 1 syn grease on mine. Dont forget to clean your mags also. Took about 1000 rounds of WWB, before my Rock stopped getting a ftf or fte at least 1 or twice in a few hundred rounds. Have 7000 rounds down the pipe now and never a problem. Its 100% reliable and have no doubt placing my safety on that 1911.
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  Res
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2006
                  • 1633

                  I once fired 2 shots of .45acp from a small room into a hallway and I didn't hear either shot. I remember hearing a slight ring before, during and after. But I hear that everytime my adrenaline is up, and even with the low ring my hearing was still acute.

                  I've had my hearing checked a few times afterwards, and everything came out fine. And i always use hearing protection when I go out shooting.

                  Remember. In a self defense situation, you're probably not going to be firing off multiple magazines.
                  --------------------------------------------
                  Dusty Miller
                  Sacramento

                  Matthew Jackson Miller: 8-6-07 to 10-15-07
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    maxicon
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 4661

                    Shooting indoors or in a car is much worse than outdoors, and it can cause permanent hearing damage with just one or two shots, especially with big bore stuff like shotguns and .45s.

                    You may not notice at the time due to adrenaline, but this doesn't prevent the damage from occuring, it just keeps you from noticing. If you care about your hearing, and especially if you care about music, don't take the chance. I keep plugs in my car at all times, just in case.

                    It's a dilemma for indoors defense. My thought is that situational awareness is much more important than hearing protection in a situation where you'll check things out many, many times, but may never have to fire a shot. YMMV, as always.
                    sigpic
                    NRA Life Member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kurac
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 2917

                      Good thing you were not firing a .357 Mag or .44 Mag, those will really get your ears ringing
                      www.culinagrips.com
                      "custom grips for shooters by shooters"

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Rule .308
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 2531

                        Like the other guys have said, it really depends upon the situation. I have hunted varmints for years and have never once used any kind of hearing protection and it still strikes me as odd that you do not really notice the report of the rifle going off. If you are at a range or just out casually shooting somewhere it sounds like a bomb went off and your head rings like a bell, oooouch.

                        I think the funniest part is that you carry a sidearm because of bobcats, I mean really, what do you think that a bobcat is going to do to you. ROFL

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          USN CHIEF
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2007
                          • 11540

                          I learned my lesson about 14 years that shooting a .45 without hearing protection is a bad idea. I kept hearing the little ring in my head for a strait week.
                          Originally posted by tankerman
                          I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.
                          Originally posted by Douglas711
                          Is everybody stocking up on guys now? Just curious some gun prices seem to be getting high.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            happy_gunner
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Apr 2007
                            • 777

                            don't make my mistake, I still remember on my very first deer, I was using my Browning Stainless stalker with BOSS muzzle break tip shooting a 30-06, I thought I wouldn't hear the shot but I was never so wrong, after the shot, my ears rang for the rest of the day, and the following week when I hear a semi-loud noise it would ring again, if someone talked a little louder next to me it would ring.

                            As far as ammo, I don't like the blazer brass, they jammed a bit on my Kimber with Kimpro or wilson combat mags. the Wal-mart winchester white box worked better, if you want to spend some money, Remington Golden Sabers.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Slayer
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2008
                              • 2373

                              Originally posted by Synergy
                              1911's need a break in of 500-1000 rounds to be ultimately reliable.
                              So, why does everyone reccomend a 1911 when people ask for suggestions for a 1st time handgun owner?

                              If this is true, a 1911 should be about the 10th gun you own. Period.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1