Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glcok 17 extended mag release for lefty

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • VendetAR
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 1142

    Glcok 17 extended mag release for lefty

    Hey, Im a lefty Gen3 G17 shooter and was hoping for a bit of advise on an extended mag release to check out that isnt from Glock. I installed it and after shooting about 6 mags with it, the edge of it was digging into my finger and causing a small sore spot.

    I went back to the stock release, but I have a really hard time getting my index finger on it to press it in so I have begun developing a bad habit of changing hand so I can use my right hand thumb to release the mag.

    Wanted to know if there are any companies that sell a smoother mag release that doesn't have the super sharp edges of the Glock part.
    See ya mid February!
  • #2
    WASR10
    • Aug 2011
    • 2455

    I believe Vickers makes a rounded version. I have semi large hands and am able to use my left thumb to release the mag. I couldn't deal with the Glock extended mag realease either.
    Mark 16:16

    Comment

    • #3
      retired195
      Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 170

      [QUOTE=VendetAR;12539761]Hey, Im a lefty Gen3 G17 shooter and was hoping for a bit of advise on an extended mag release to check out that isnt from Glock. I installed it and after shooting about 6 mags with it, the edge of it was digging into my finger and causing a small sore spot.

      I had the same issue as a leftie I just filed down a stock Glock extended mag release to a good length for me and rounded the corners. No more issues with rubbing/sore. I attached a photo in the following post discussing the extended mag release options. Link to the pic: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...7&d=1376869348

      Last edited by retired195; 10-14-2013, 9:09 PM. Reason: edit

      Comment

      • #4
        VendetAR
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2013
        • 1142

        Thanks for the pic. I gave some thought to doing that but I was worried that without the serrations, it would be easy for your finger to slip off if you have sweaty hands.

        Any opinions on that?
        See ya mid February!

        Comment

        • #5
          Lead Waster
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Sep 2010
          • 16650

          Just FYI, Gen4 Glocks are ambidextrous. Yes, of course you're not going to buy a whole new Glock just for that, but just as an FYI.
          ==================

          sigpic


          Remember to dial 1 before 911.

          Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

          There. Are. Four. Lights!

          Comment

          • #6
            VendetAR
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2013
            • 1142

            Originally posted by Lead Waster
            Just FYI, Gen4 Glocks are ambidextrous. Yes, of course you're not going to buy a whole new Glock just for that, but just as an FYI.
            Then I cant use the mags I should be able to use

            Thankully, Gen3's use mags that were purchased before 2000.

            ETA: I know that Gen3 mags will run on a Gen4, but only with the safety on the left just like the Gen3's I have now.
            Last edited by VendetAR; 10-14-2013, 10:27 PM.
            See ya mid February!

            Comment

            • #7
              retired195
              Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 170

              Originally posted by VendetAR
              Thanks for the pic. I gave some thought to doing that but I was worried that without the serrations, it would be easy for your finger to slip off if you have sweaty hands.

              Any opinions on that?
              I used a small electric engraver and used the point to rough up the surface. There are other ways to stipple the surface but it's so small I probably would have used a drill bit, file or something similar to roughen the surface if I didn't have the engraver.

              The best thing about filling a Glock ext. mag release is you can get the length "you" like. Made a huge difference for me with my mag changes and they are cheap. I took the one I had on a G23 and put it on my newly acquired G17 G3 so I need to do another one myself.

              Comment

              • #8
                VendetAR
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2013
                • 1142

                Originally posted by retired195
                I used a small electric engraver and used the point to rough up the surface. There are other ways to stipple the surface but it's so small I probably would have used a drill bit, file or something similar to roughen the surface if I didn't have the engraver.

                The best thing about filling a Glock ext. mag release is you can get the length "you" like. Made a huge difference for me with my mag changes and they are cheap. I took the one I had on a G23 and put it on my newly acquired G17 G3 so I need to do another one myself.
                I think Im gonna do this. I already have it, was cheap and if typical stippling will keep the grip efficient (finger wont slide off) then its worth it to try.

                Once Im out of the state, Ill probably just buy a Gen4 and run it the way it should be, that is release the mag with your thumb.
                See ya mid February!

                Comment

                • #9
                  retired195
                  Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 170

                  Originally posted by VendetAR
                  I think Im gonna do this. I already have it, was cheap and if typical stippling will keep the grip efficient (finger wont slide off) then its worth it to try.

                  Once Im out of the state, Ill probably just buy a Gen4 and run it the way it should be, that is release the mag with your thumb.
                  I haven't had any issue with my finger slipping. The nice thing about having the Gen4 would be the option to run the gun as you want. Cheers.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    VendetAR
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2013
                    • 1142

                    Took a few minutes this morning and rounded and shorted the extended mag release so now its more like a rough pimple than a meat tenderizer and I can already tell that its much more comfortable. Also bent the release spring a little bit and it made a world of difference.
                    See ya mid February!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      retired195
                      Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 170

                      Originally posted by VendetAR
                      Took a few minutes this morning and rounded and shorted the extended mag release so now its more like a rough pimple than a meat tenderizer and I can already tell that its much more comfortable. Also bent the release spring a little bit and it made a world of difference.
                      Cool, glad it worked for you. Mag changes will be much more enjoyable experience. Cheers.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Corbin Dallas
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • May 2006
                        • 6347

                        VendetAR, why do you feel you are relegated to using your thumb to drop a mag? Because convention says so?

                        Lefties have it easy with pistols. You can maintain proper grip and drop the mag using your middle finger. No need to reach around with a thumb changing grip just to drop a mag.

                        I say you have what you need, now go practice doing it.
                        NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun - PPITH - PPOTH - NRA Certified RSO

                        WTB the following - in San Diego
                        --Steyr M357A1 357SIG
                        --Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

                        Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          KASE
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2013
                          • 37

                          I always use the OEM extended release and round the edges with sand paper.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1