Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Newbie 1911 Help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    whatwhy
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2013
    • 516

    Originally posted by bulletblood
    I'd say grab the ruger if you can find one. It's off roster I believe, so if you see one on the shelf grab it and don't look back.
    Totally forgot about that...Ugh, Ruger isn't even listed as a Manufacture on the roster....back to square one.

    The materials and information contained above in this post are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by any interaction with the author of such materials and information.

    Comment

    • #17
      thomashoward
      In Memoriam
      • Jan 2009
      • 1991

      Originally posted by 'ol shooter
      Spend another 195 bucks over your budget and get a Kimber. The Springfields are nice guns too, and so is the new Remington. My son just bought a Kimber, and I was very impressed by its fit and finish, and it shot great right out of the box, right to point of aim out to 50 yards. I own 4 1911 style pistols, have shot and worked on my own for over 40 years, in case you wondered. If you are planning on only one, make it a good one. Shoot them if you can.
      + 1
      Get what you are paying for
      http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...0fa5fefab1.jpghttp://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...Untitled-2.jpghttp://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...tar76148_1.jpg
      "Everyone has two lives,the second one starts when you realize you only have one "

      Comment

      • #18
        riderr
        Calguns Addict
        • Sep 2013
        • 6704

        Originally posted by whatwhy
        Thank you! What makes the RIA trigger so awful? I'm a firm believe in "you get what you pay for" which is why I kind of threw the RIA aside because of its price point (though all reviews say it's great bang for the buck).
        RIA is a decent quality gun made by Colt mil-specs in the Philippines. According to the reviews I read, it's a good and somewhat reliable gun with a good CS.
        I dry-fired it at a shop and didn't like the trigger. It was too long and not crisp as Springfield. However, for the price, it's a very good gun and it has very good reviews. Between RIA and Springfield GI, I will definitely get RIA

        Originally posted by whatwhy
        I'm partial to the Ruger because it seems priced well and nobody has anything bad to say about it. I also prefer the silver finish as opposed to the black finish.
        I tried a few Rugers, but not 1911. I absolutely didn't like the quality, ergonomics, grips... , but again, it's not relevant to 1911.

        Stainless Steel is usually a bit more expensive than parkerized, but it's easier remove scratches from it.
        Last edited by riderr; 09-26-2013, 9:37 PM.

        Comment

        • #19
          bulletblood
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 753

          Originally posted by whatwhy
          Totally forgot about that...Ugh, Ruger isn't even listed as a Manufacture on the roster....back to square one.
          They're listed as sturm ruger. I've actually seen it on a counter once. Forgot which store, but they do Single Shot exemption. Was picked up pretty quick though.
          Do I look like I'm ready for homework?

          Comment

          • #20
            whatwhy
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2013
            • 516

            Originally posted by riderr
            RIA is a decent quality gun made by Colt mil-specs in the Philippines. According to the reviews I read, it's a good and somewhat reliable gun with a good CS.
            I dry-fired it at a shop and didn't like the trigger. It was too long and not crisp as Springfield. However, for the price, it's a very good gun and it has very good reviews. Between RIA and Springfield GI, I will definitely get RIA

            I tried a few Rugers, but not 1911. I absolutely didn't like the quality, ergonomics, grips... , but again, it's not relevant to 1911.

            Stainless Steel is usually a bit more expensive than parkerized, but it's easier remove scratches from it.
            Interesting, you're probably the first person I've asked that wouldn't pick the Springfield. Is it just a matter of price/value?

            Originally posted by bulletblood
            They're listed as sturm ruger. I've actually seen it on a counter once. Forgot which store, but they do Single Shot exemption. Was picked up pretty quick though.
            Ah I see. Blah. Well I'm not going to go hunting for the great white buffalo...are the RIA's also off roster then?

            I guess I should ask, which 1911's can I order at my FFL in CA?

            The materials and information contained above in this post are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by any interaction with the author of such materials and information.

            Comment

            • #21
              riderr
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2013
              • 6704

              Originally posted by whatwhy
              Interesting, you're probably the first person I've asked that wouldn't pick the Springfield. Is it just a matter of price/value?
              I caught a very good deal on Springfield loaded on gunbroker and didn't let it slip away

              Comment

              • #22
                geedavell
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2011
                • 1820

                [IMG][/IMG]

                If you find the Ruger, you will probably pay much more than list price because they're not available here in Ca, unless SSE which cost more.

                And whats wrong with a 9mm 1911. I have one and love it.
                As much fun as the others but cheaper to shoot

                Comment

                • #23
                  whatwhy
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2013
                  • 516

                  Originally posted by riderr
                  I caught a very good deal on Springfield loaded on gunbroker and didn't let it slip away
                  I don't understand most of the add-ons for the models...from what I can gather:

                  MilSpec -- Cheaper, has most of the good upgrades, comes in black only (?)

                  Loaded -- More stuffs, something about the sights, however, it has the front serrations on the slide which make me cringe...is the loaded much better? I guess it's getting technical here but I'd like to find out for sure what I am actually getting.

                  Also trying to find prices for these things in CA, could someone ballpark these for me?

                  The materials and information contained above in this post are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by any interaction with the author of such materials and information.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    geedavell
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 1820

                    Be careful buying on Gunbroker. Alot of sellers won't even deal with Californians.
                    If they do, it's your responsibility to make sure it's excepted here

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      bigbob76
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2007
                      • 3954

                      The most common upgrades done on 1911s seem to be adding a beaver tail grip safety and a trigger job. In your budget an RIA Tactical would give you the beaver tail grip safety and enough money left over for trigger tuning. Or spend more and get a Springfield Loaded, but you will still want trigger tuning in my opinion. Personally I would stick with the 1911s that have the Series 70 style system.
                      If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        whatwhy
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2013
                        • 516

                        Originally posted by geedavell
                        Be careful buying on Gunbroker. Alot of sellers won't even deal with Californians.
                        If they do, it's your responsibility to make sure it's excepted here
                        I'm gonna keep it local for my purchase.

                        Originally posted by bigbob76
                        The most common upgrades done on 1911s seem to be adding a beaver tail grip safety and a trigger job. In your budget an RIA Tactical would give you the beaver tail grip safety and enough money left over for trigger tuning. Or spend more and get a Springfield Loaded, but you will still want trigger tuning in my opinion. Personally I would stick with the 1911s that have the Series 70 style system.
                        I keep reading the Series 70 vs 80 and something about about a firing pin safety? Can't seem to quite get the concept here, maybe it's one of those things you have to see rather than just read about.


                        Saw this on calguns, it's local to me, thoughts guys? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=810734


                        And another: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=824916
                        Last edited by whatwhy; 09-26-2013, 10:26 PM.

                        The materials and information contained above in this post are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by any interaction with the author of such materials and information.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          bigbob76
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2007
                          • 3954

                          In the 1980s Colt started making the Series 80 system 1911s. Most of us think it was a solution to a non existent problem. More parts and extra work to fine tune. As long as there are idiots we won't be having idiot proof firearms, just more parts to lose, break, etc.
                          If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            bulletblood
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2013
                            • 753

                            The firing pin safety prevents the gun from going bang if you drop it. I actually don't mind it and prefer it. Some people don't like it because it supposedly gets in the way of a good trigger job. I'm pretty skeptical about that.

                            If you're sticking with roster guns then the usual suspects are colts. springfields, kimbers,ria, and sigs. I'd get a colt or springfield, but I'm not sure they're in your budget.
                            Do I look like I'm ready for homework?

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              whatwhy
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2013
                              • 516

                              Originally posted by bigbob76
                              In the 1980s Colt started making the Series 80 system 1911s. Most of us think it was a solution to a non existent problem. More parts and extra work to fine tune. As long as there are idiots we won't be having idiot proof firearms, just more parts to lose, break, etc.
                              Gotcha, if I don't get a Colt, what should I look out for to make sure I get a Series 70 style system?

                              Originally posted by bulletblood
                              The firing pin safety prevents the gun from going bang if you drop it. I actually don't mind it and prefer it. Some people don't like it because it supposedly gets in the way of a good trigger job. I'm pretty skeptical about that.

                              If you're sticking with roster guns then the usual suspects are colts. springfields, kimbers,ria, and sigs. I'd get a colt or springfield, but I'm not sure they're in your budget.
                              I'm willing to buy used and push the budget a little, especially since I'm realizing a lot of the later mods I will want to do come with these models. I've (prematurely) decided to look for a Springfield Loaded or Mil-Spec. I think I could swing around $800-$1000 for the right gun.

                              The materials and information contained above in this post are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by any interaction with the author of such materials and information.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                geedavell
                                Senior Member
                                • Jul 2011
                                • 1820

                                Here's one for $ 700

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1