Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Any other SW99 owners experience feed issues?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • capo
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • 4756

    Any other SW99 owners experience feed issues?

    I bought my SW99 .40 in 2006 IIRC. In 2007 I took a PC832 class and while doing range hours at the OCSD academy, one of the instructors mentioned OCSD used to use the SW99 but changed them because they became unreliable after some use. The SW99 isn't the pistol I normally shoot but it is SO comfortable, and I am dead on with it...however...the last few times I've shot it, getting through one full magazine without a failure to feed has become a luxury.

    I'm routinely sending cartridges to the bottom lip of the feed ramp. Giving the magazine a tap, and racking the slide results in no change...the tip of the bullet just sits on the lip of the feed ramp.

    Have any other SW99 owners experienced this issue or heard about it? I am wondering if it is just a design flaw, or perhaps the magazine(s). I will likely order an OEM magazine from Smith & Wesson and run a few hundred rounds through it and see if I can get an FTF. If not, I'll consider it the likely culprit. However for it to happen on multiple magazines that I currently own...it just strikes me as odd.

    Any feedback is welcome. Thanks fellas.
  • #2
    jrara
    Senior Member
    • May 2009
    • 1728

    Before you dump more money, Call or email S&W.

    They could give more input or service the gun if needed.
    Current Armory:
    HK p7m8
    Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm
    Hi-Power Practical
    Baby Eagle 9mm
    P99 AS
    Glock 43

    Comment

    • #3
      crosseyedshooter
      Senior Member
      • May 2013
      • 661

      My experience was with a P99 in 9mm, so I don't know whether this applies. If your gun has been reliable before, then perhaps check your magazine spring and make sure it hasn't been reversed at some point. The 9mm mag springs have an upturned portion that provides upward force at the front of the magazine follower. This lifts the front of the round to meet the feed ramp. Are you having problems with regular FMJ round-nose bullets? If this was a common issue, it might already be discussed over at Waltherforums.

      Comment

      Working...
      UA-8071174-1