Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Going to mess around with stippling....which tool should I get?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • zod
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2009
    • 8342

    Going to mess around with stippling....which tool should I get?

    Along the years, I've met a little more than a handful of Calgunners that have done their own stipple jobs. Some good, some not so good. But anywho, I've caught the bug and decided I'm going to try it out. For those of you out there that have done it, or stipple on a regular basis, which tool are you using? Also, which local stores could I pick up that tool.....preferably on the cheap side since I don't know if I will pick up the skill or suck miserably.
    Originally posted by pistolero805
    Brass has antimicrobial properties.
    Originally posted by sean michael
    Brass knuckles, when you want to punch someone but don't want to give them an infection.
  • #2
    SIKwitIT
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 856

    Home depot, soldering iron. I think it was $7 with 3 different tips. I used the finest point. Pretty easy, just time consuming.

    Comment

    • #3
      Stryprod
      Member
      • Jan 2008
      • 414

      ^ what he said; make sure you practice on some cheap plastic first.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        510GUY
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2010
        • 1368

        Don't do it,use some grip tape.

        Comment

        • #5
          zod
          Calguns Addict
          • Aug 2009
          • 8342

          Originally posted by SIKwitIT
          Home depot, soldering iron. I think it was $7 with 3 different tips. I used the finest point. Pretty easy, just time consuming.
          Originally posted by Stryprod
          ^ what he said; make sure you practice on some cheap plastic first.
          Thanks! Will be picking one up shortly. Going to practice on some grips I have laying around.
          Originally posted by pistolero805
          Brass has antimicrobial properties.
          Originally posted by sean michael
          Brass knuckles, when you want to punch someone but don't want to give them an infection.

          Comment

          • #6
            hambam105
            Calguns Addict
            • Jan 2013
            • 7083

            If not home pot, try Lowes or Osh.

            Comment

            • #7
              the_t0ny
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 1010

              I used a wood burn tool to stipple my stuff. I liked the tip and how it was angled on the wood burn tool over my soldering iron tip.

              Comment

              • #8
                heidad01
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2012
                • 4902

                Your gun your choice. But "Do Not Do It". It will drop the value of your gun considerably. It will be like a bad tattoo that you will not be able to get rid of. If you want a more aggrevive grip, buy and install the commercially available grip tapes for about the same price as the soldering iron. Changed your mind, well now you can remove the tape and your gun is back in original shape. I see all kinds of guns advertized in the sales forum with custom or otherwise stippling and they all look like butcher jobs, just plain ugly and most bordering or well into fugly. Just my 2 cents. good luck to you.
                Last edited by heidad01; 08-21-2013, 11:46 PM. Reason: update

                Comment

                • #9
                  220
                  Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • 292

                  I read once that it's best to start from the center and work your way out in a circular pattern.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    BigL
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2013
                    • 678

                    Originally posted by 510GUY
                    Don't do it,use some grip tape.
                    Especailly if you want to sell or try to trade it in the future.
                    Originally posted by becciboo
                    Why make it clear when there is an agency that can make up and enforce their own laws? Its one of those things where you need to make the personal decision as to whether you want to be right or free. Is it worth it to you?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Tanner68
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 2147

                      Like a girl getting a tattoo, it is rarely an improvement.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ShadowX
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 622

                        Easy and cheap way to learn and practice stippling:


                        This is OK.



                        This is NOT OK.



                        This is a NO NO.



                        Another NO NO.


                        This is blasphemy:


                        This person is condemned.
                        Last edited by ShadowX; 08-22-2013, 12:55 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Gutz
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 4127

                          Friends don't let friends stipple!!!
                          1A - 2A= -1A :(

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            zod
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 8342

                            Just going to mess with it fellas. AR Mags, mag releases, and other crap I got laying around. No way in hell will I try stippling my Glocks.........yet. I would pay a pro if I went that route.
                            Last edited by zod; 08-22-2013, 1:44 AM.
                            Originally posted by pistolero805
                            Brass has antimicrobial properties.
                            Originally posted by sean michael
                            Brass knuckles, when you want to punch someone but don't want to give them an infection.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              MMXX
                              Member
                              • May 2013
                              • 349

                              This person is condemned. HA, way too funny ShadowX.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1