Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

To refinish or not model 29-3

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pigpen66m
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Jan 2013
    • 1032

    To refinish or not model 29-3

    I have a S&W 29-3 I've had it for about 30 years and it's showing it's age. I intrested in opinions about possibly a ceracote finish or just reblue it.
  • #2
    DanHuuN
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2008
    • 2064

    Post a photo of it...

    Personally I wouldn't touch her unless she's rusting (Aside from the Bluing)

    Comment

    • #3
      pigpen66m
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      • Jan 2013
      • 1032

      Slight surface rust that I have been able to remove with steel wool and WD40.

      Comment

      • #4
        c good
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 2726

        Photos not coming through but sight unseen, I would say just leave it original. That is unless it's just horribly rusted and pitted. They lose value if they've been re-blued. Also, its just nice to let them age gracefully. Would still love to see pics though. HTH c good

        Comment

        • #5
          rickey65
          Banned
          • Apr 2013
          • 70

          Originally posted by c good
          Photos not coming through but sight unseen, I would say just leave it original. That is unless it's just horribly rusted and pitted. They lose value if they've been re-blued. Also, its just nice to let them age gracefully. Would still love to see pics though. HTH c good
          Didn't know that...now I do. Good advice.

          Comment

          • #6
            Full Clip
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Dec 2006
            • 10266

            Even if something is rusty, it'll lose value once you "restore" it.

            Comment

            • #7
              pigpen66m
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              • Jan 2013
              • 1032

              I've been trying to upload photos but for some reason it shows I removed the photos.

              Comment

              • #8
                jakuda
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2010
                • 515

                I also vote to keep it the way it is. The deep smooth shiny grey blue of past years is rarely seen today as it requires more work.

                Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

                Comment

                • #9
                  pigpen66m
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 1032

                  http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s673/pigpen66m/C1E13F36-CBA6-435C-A544-2385401237C2-476-0000005EF559CF7A_zps56cabcdf.jpg

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    pigpen66m
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 1032

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      pigpen66m
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 1032

                      Bad lighting but there is wear on the barrel and cylinder.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        GunDog
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 1825

                        Leave it as is or refinish it. The choice is yours. If you choose to refinish, consider Doug Turnbull to do the job. Expensive but, first rate.

                        Firearm Restoration & Manufacturing. Antique restoration and bluing services. Featuring Colt 1911 and 1886 Winchester manufactured reproductions .


                        As an alternative, send it back to Smith & Wesson in Springfield, MA for refinishing.
                        NRA Life Benefactor Member
                        CRPA Life Member
                        VFW Life Member

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          pigpen66m
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 1032

                          [IMG][/IMG]

                          This one I wouldn't even consider touching. It was made in 1931

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ptgarcia
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 744

                            I wouldn't do a thing to it except shoot it.
                            Paul

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              schneiderguy
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 569

                              Originally posted by pigpen66m
                              I intrested in opinions about possibly a ceracote finish or just reblue it.
                              Rebluing is fine, but if you want to cerakote a revolver, at least trade it for a Taurus first

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1