Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Kimber 1911 break in question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    diveRN
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 1743

    I broke in my Ultra Carry II with my own 230gr FMJs, about 800 in the first outing. I load relatively light too, just shy of a mid-range powder charge.

    Apart from a dozen or so Tulammo rounds, it has reliably eaten and cycled everything I've fed it. I didn't put a hollow point through it until after I'd fired 2,500 or so of ball ammo and it eats JHPs just fine.

    A recommendation: If you experience any misfeeding, get some Wilson Combat mags. I haven't had any issues with the Factory Kimber mag that came with the gun, but I've read tons from folks who have.

    Comment

    • #17
      Cali_RSV
      Junior Member
      • Mar 2013
      • 40

      I received 2 Wilson Combat mags in the mail the other day. So I have a total of 3 mags now. I noticed the Wilson combat mags are damn nice. The mag follower doesn't bind or compress awkwardly. It slides smoothly with the magazine. I haven't messed with the Kimber one yet since I don't get it until tomorrow. but compared to say my 226R mags, they are a hell of a lot nicer in finger compression operation at least :P

      Comment

      • #18
        Fherot
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2012
        • 920

        My $525 RIA didn't need a break-in... I hate that concept.

        Comment

        • #19
          INFAMOUS762X39
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 1458

          Originally posted by diveRN
          I broke in my Ultra Carry II with my own 230gr FMJs, about 800 in the first outing. I load relatively light too, just shy of a mid-range powder charge.

          Apart from a dozen or so Tulammo rounds, it has reliably eaten and cycled everything I've fed it. I didn't put a hollow point through it until after I'd fired 2,500 or so of ball ammo and it eats JHPs just fine.

          A recommendation: If you experience any misfeeding, get some Wilson Combat mags. I haven't had any issues with the Factory Kimber mag that came with the gun, but I've read tons from folks who have.
          Thanks for sharing. I've put the same number of rounds of ball ammo through my Kimber TLE, all flawless. Going to run various JHP through her this weekend for the first time.

          I personally prefer/trust Tripp Cobra Magazines.

          Comment

          • #20
            redcliff
            Calguns Addict
            • Feb 2008
            • 5676

            My formula for "breaking in" tight 1911's with minimal ammunition expenditure and failures:

            1. Use quality magazines like Tripp Research, Chip McCormick or Wilson ETM's.
            2. Hand cycle the firearm 500 times while watching tv. Pull the trigger each time and cycle the thumb safety on and off occasionally.
            3. Set your extractor tension properly before ever firing a single round. Very few 1911's have proper extractor tension from the factory; they're often too tight which induces drag and causes failures to feed.
            4. Wipe down the critical wear points and relube before firing.
            "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
            "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
            "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

            "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
            although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

            Comment

            • #21
              POLICESTATE
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Apr 2009
              • 18185

              I broke mine in with a combination of 250 factory FMJ and 250 of reloads from Load-X also FMJ. 230 gr.
              -POLICESTATE,
              In the name of the State, and of the School, and of the Infallible Science


              sigpic


              Government Official Lies
              . F r e e d o m . D i e s .

              Comment

              • #22
                Cali_RSV
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2013
                • 40

                This is my first 1911. How does one determine the proper extractor tension and how is that adjusted typically on a 1911? I guess I can google it but since we're on the topic.

                Comment

                • #23
                  jonzer77
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 8525

                  Originally posted by Cali_RSV
                  This is my first 1911. How does one determine the proper extractor tension and how is that adjusted typically on a 1911? I guess I can google it but since we're on the topic.


                  I also recommend:



                  and/or

                  Originally posted by barrage
                  That's because Excelsior threads are like toilet bowls. They're made for crapping in and occasionally pissing on the side of.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                  • #25
                    bsim
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 892

                    "Don't call us about any problems until round 501"
                    Yup.
                    NRA Life Member
                    SAF Life Member
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #26
                      Cali_RSV
                      Junior Member
                      • Mar 2013
                      • 40

                      So beautiful I almost don't want to shoot her. Almost... lol

                      Cell phone pics:




                      Comment

                      • #27
                        Artema
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2012
                        • 3821

                        Jeez. You're making me want one so bad with those pics.
                        - SAAMI Pressure Specs
                        Originally posted by Artema
                        I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.

                        Comment

                        • #28
                          HPGunner
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2009
                          • 1359

                          Originally posted by redcliff
                          My formula for "breaking in" tight 1911's with minimal ammunition expenditure and failures:

                          1. Use quality magazines like Tripp Research, Chip McCormick or Wilson ETM's.
                          2. Hand cycle the firearm 500 times while watching tv. Pull the trigger each time and cycle the thumb safety on and off occasionally.
                          3. Set your extractor tension properly before ever firing a single round. Very few 1911's have proper extractor tension from the factory; they're often too tight which induces drag and causes failures to feed.
                          4. Wipe down the critical wear points and relube before firing.
                          I agree with this guy ^^

                          Except I probably don't hand cycle it 500 times, but the rest of his points are on par to making sure your 1911 runs well.

                          I've got the same Kimber and it's a pretty gun. I added an Ed Brown mainspring housing and some VZ Operator II's

                          Comment

                          • #29
                            jdben92883
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2012
                            • 3635

                            Loose 1911's are like loose girls...neither require a break-in if you like it sloppy.

                            Originally posted by Fherot
                            My $525 RIA didn't need a break-in... I hate that concept.
                            NRA Benefactor Member

                            Comment

                            • #30
                              squiddo
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2012
                              • 1238

                              MAN they are purty

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1