Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Browning Hi Power Help/Thoughts...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Turbinator
    Administrator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 11960

    Originally posted by zfields
    Nonfunctional.

    Barrel bushing / barrel were shot to hell.
    Ugh.. yeah, and once the barrel bushing area is gone, that's it, you'd need a new slide. So assuming the frame was still good to go, why not replace the entire upper and go with that?

    Turby

    Comment

    • #17
      zfields
      CGN Contributor
      • Aug 2010
      • 13658

      Originally posted by Turbinator
      Ugh.. yeah, and once the barrel bushing area is gone, that's it, you'd need a new slide. So assuming the frame was still good to go, why not replace the entire upper and go with that?

      Turby

      Because it would have just been cheaper to buy a new gun.

      The vendor was a total POS, I regret even screwing around to send it back, I lost over $150 on the deal.


      Ended up with a cz 75 SA, so really can complain, better gun IMO. One of these days I'd like to pick up a mk III though.
      Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

      10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

      Comment

      • #18
        beerman
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2009
        • 5193

        Originally posted by CALI-gula
        Browning Hi-Powers have been in production for so long, in countries having gone through so many changes, they are almost like Lugers in variation, source, markings, configuration, and even caliber.

        Besides some of my Belgium Hi-Powers and a few of my Tangent-sight examples, the highlight of my Hi-Power cache is that I have 6 of the original Hi-Powers that were imported in the late 1970s up until the mid 1980s, chambered by the factory in .30-Luger, which is estimated only some 600 to 800 entered the US. 4 of those that I have are marked as "FN" manufacture.

        At this point, the one Hi-Power SEMI-CLONE I would like to get is the FEG Model GKK Hungarian-made, chambered in .45ACP.

        But the most unique examples of all my Hi-Powers would be that 2 of my 6 chambered in .30-Luger are consecutive serial numbered, photos below. I had them up for sale once here on Calguns, but pulled them as I no longer have any interest in selling them:













        .
        ahhhh, I remember the twins. I was thinking at the time if they were 9's I would have bought them.You should be glad you kept them.

        Comment

        • #19
          sigstroker
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2009
          • 19859

          OP, try to shoot one before you buy. They have a very long hammer spur that draws blood on me with the first shot. I had a chance to buy a really nice limited edition that the gun shop owner let me try first. I couldn't buy it because my hand was a bloody mess after one magazine.

          Comment

          • #20
            Kyle1886
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2009
            • 4262

            You might check over on this forum:

            A forum community dedicated to handgun owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about optics, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!


            There is a lot of good HP info, and a great bunch of guys too.

            Respectfully,
            Kyle
            Here's to Calguns.net, past, present, and the future 🍸🍸​🍷🍻 🍹
            iTrader = +3, %100, Location: N. San Diego Co
            https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...6#post54001874
            _________+__________

            Comment

            • #21
              Chaos47
              Calguns Addict
              • Apr 2010
              • 6615

              Originally posted by sigstroker
              OP, try to shoot one before you buy. They have a very long hammer spur that draws blood on me with the first shot. I had a chance to buy a really nice limited edition that the gun shop owner let me try first. I couldn't buy it because my hand was a bloody mess after one magazine.
              Not all of them.. a lot of them have ring hammers to prevent this. There are aftermarket options too

              Comment

              • #22
                zfields
                CGN Contributor
                • Aug 2010
                • 13658

                Originally posted by Chaos47
                Not all of them.. a lot of them have ring hammers to prevent this. There are aftermarket options too
                Or a file : )
                Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

                10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

                Comment

                • #23
                  Chaos47
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 6615

                  That too

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Von_Richthofen
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 374

                    Originally posted by Chaos47
                    Not all of them.. a lot of them have ring hammers to prevent this. There are aftermarket options too
                    ^^^^ This... all my pre war Belguim, German, and even Canadian HPs had ring hammers and are fine shooters...

                    Bought a heavily blood damaged German example for 150 that I refinished and it performs like a champ... These are wonderful pistoles...

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      highpower
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2012
                      • 5321

                      I have had a couple of Hi Powers in the past and liked them well enough except for the safety. My last one was stolen back in '95 and I really wasn't looking for another......until I started reading all the internet posts on them.

                      I was thinking of buying a very nice blued one that was on consignment at my LGS, but the price was a bit steep @ $1000. Today I was in there and one had just come in the door as a trade and I was able to pick it up for five bills OTD.

                      Made in 1969, it has quite a bit of holster wear but is otherwise in good condition and the action is smooth as butter. The best part is, I have been saving a half dozen high cap magazines since my other one was stolen and now I have a gun for them.
                      MLC member.

                      Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

                      Dumocraps suck balls.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Fatcat
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 1299

                        Good site/book on Hi-powers

                        Get this book for good info:



                        Also, the website:


                        Stephen Camp was a great gentleman and Hi-power enthusiast that was generous of his knowledge and experience.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          BradleyAbrams
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • 3340

                          BHPs, IMHO, are the best in their class. A superbly ergonomic, battle-proven, classic design.

                          BHPs are one of those special, timeless man-made things; like Coca Cola glass bottles, C-130s and Levis, which just never seem to go out of style.

                          Of all my handguns, my FM is my primary, the one within reach in the nightstand.












                          -
                          Last edited by BradleyAbrams; 08-15-2013, 2:45 PM.
                          The "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" was not created by the 2nd Amendment; it was merely an acknowledgement of an existing, un-Alienable Right

                          UN-ALIENABLE - Defined by Webster as: incapable of being alienated, surrendered, or transferred .


                          Joseph Johnston - 4/14

                          -

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            DT556
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Mar 2011
                            • 3671

                            Here's mine. It was my first gun I bought back in 1980.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1