Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Turner's consignment handguns...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bigbob76
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 3954

    Turner's consignment handguns...

    Does anybody know if buying a consignment handgun at Turner's is considered a Private Party Transfer? If so it wouldn't limit me to one handgun every 30 days. The employees I've talked to so far don't seem to know.
    If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • #2
    Black Majik
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 9695

    Nope, unfortunately it's not treated as a PPT. Gotta pay tax too.

    Comment

    • #3
      FlyingPen
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 2377

      Hmmm when I bought a consignment, I had to pay sales tax but it counted as a PPT, this was at a private dealer though, not a Turner's. I didn't have to wait the 30 days.

      Comment

      • #4
        Synergy
        I need a LIFE!!
        • May 2008
        • 14303

        I was in Turner's inquiring about a PPT and they said they charge tax on the price of the gun sold. So the original buyer in CA paid tax and the state charges tax again, great! Is this with just Turner's?
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          berto
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2005
          • 7723

          I paid sales tax on a consignment but it was treated as a PPT for the 30 day limit. Not at Turners.

          I think consignment doesn't fall under the 30 day rule as you're not actually buying from the dealer but from the owner through the dealer.
          "There are no outdoor sports as graceful as throwing stones at a dictatorship." Ai WeiWei

          Comment

          • #6
            hawk1
            In Memoriam
            • Dec 2005
            • 7555

            Originally posted by Black Majik
            Nope, unfortunately it's not treated as a PPT. Gotta pay tax too.
            Bzzzz, wrong, it is done as a PPT.
            sigpicNRA LIFE MEMBER

            Comment

            • #7
              5150Marcelo
              Calguns Addict
              • Mar 2008
              • 7681

              cant be if buyer and seller arent present together.
              Handmade Predator/Coyote Calls!!!
              Originally posted by ColdSteel14;
              Spermicidal rubbers! On the other hand.. Man.. That spermicide doesn't taste very good. AT ALL!
              Originally posted by Slayer;
              Holy Lord....why would a dude know what spermicide taste like?
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                rue
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2007
                • 1355

                Originally posted by 5150Marcelo
                cant be if buyer and seller arent present together.
                Not true that's FUD.
                The owner consigns it through the dealer, when he gives the dealer the gun he fills out his part of the DROS. Then leaves. When the buyers buys it he fills out his part of the DROS and the deal is done. Still a PPT. Tax has to be charged per the Franchise tax board since the deal is happening in the store. Don't ask me why but that's the deal. I also think this is BS but apparently the State thinks it's kosher.
                Originally posted by halifax
                How about the next time a kid gets suspended/expelled for simply drawing a picture of a gun. I see a federal civil rights lawsuit against the school district for violation of 1st & 2nd amendments.


                Originally posted by CA357
                I am getting old and my bull***** tolerance is rapidly diminishing.

                Comment

                • #9
                  hawk1
                  In Memoriam
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 7555

                  rue has it correct.
                  As for the taxes, I think they have the dealers collect the tax because they have a better chance of getting it that way. Most buyers do not send in money for use tax or report it at the end of the year when doing their state income taxes.
                  sigpicNRA LIFE MEMBER

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CALI-gula
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 7215

                    It's done as a PPT/Consignment, it is handled like a pawn transfer therefore it is taxed (and thus both parties ARE present in the same location at some point in the transfer), yet it is EXEMPT from the one-per-30 day limit....

                    Just be SURE it is a consignment and not a USED gun of C&R handgun, as Turner's may sell a USED gun they bought if it IS a gun currently on the roster (say a current Glock 23) - thus, it would be from their store stock and WOULD apply toward the one-per-30 day limit. Also, a C&R handgun is not exempt from the one-per-30 day if it IS being sold from store stock (pending you do NOT have your current C&R license with COE). ALWAYS ASK!

                    EXCEPT for local ordinances, such as for Turner's Reseda, where the CITY of Los Angeles has a one-per-30 day limit on the purchase of ANY handgun. Notice I said CITY and not COUNTY which is why that does not apply to other Turner's locations within the county of Los Angeles. Just city - you can thank ex-council member Mike Feuer for that one (now a State Assembly Member, instrumental behind resurrecting the Koretz microstamping bill/law - but getting it passed where Koretz never could).

                    .
                    ------------------------

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      1911su16b870
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 7654

                      Seems this will be a CA DOJ BOF DROS decision if you buy another handgun within 30 days of purchasing a Turner's consignment. Ultimately it will come down to an approval or rejection of the DROS.

                      IMO If Turners bought the consignment, then sells it to you, that would be a PPT and exempt from the 30 day rule. Turners has told me they hold consignments to run the model and serial number through AFS.
                      "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

                      NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
                      GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
                      Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
                      I instruct it if you shoot it.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        blackhawk411
                        Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 439

                        Either way used guns are exempted form 30day rule anyway

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1