Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.45 ACP Revolver?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • desrt2
    Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 319

    .45 ACP Revolver?

    Thoughts on a .45 ACP revolver?
    I have everything else so time to go to the secondary list.
    Advice on ups/downs, experience.
    Any red flags?
    Some people can shoot theirs without moon clips (just in case) but that's spotty depending on headspace, etc. Some have to manually eject the case, some slide out with a shake (that doesn't sound good if the cylinder bores are that lose.
    Is it pretty much S&W 625 series?
    I want 4-5" full lug barrel.
    I don't think I can afford a Performance Center model.

    Thank you in advance for you radvice.
    sigpic

    "Let them hate so long as they fear."
  • #2
    RugerNo1
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2008
    • 1644

    I have the 625 JM version. First thing I did after the second time I shot it was a new Knill grip and reduced power springs. It still lights off CCI primers, but you can easily get carried away and have light strikes.

    You don't have you use moon clips, but it makes it a pain to eject brass since normal .45 auto is rimless.

    I shoot mine in USPSA Revolver and have fun with it.
    Dane

    For the Learned Rifleman

    Comment

    • #3
      Joe'Bronco
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2010
      • 621

      Ruger Blackhawk 45 convertible. Two separate cylinders. Only takes about 2 seconds to change. Rounds pull out just like the colt rounds do.

      Comment

      • #4
        Quiet
        retired Goon
        • Mar 2007
        • 30242

        I like my .45ACP revolver (S&W Model 325PD 2.5").

        I kinda want to get a S&W Model 625JM to go with it.


        my S&W Model 325PD (2.5")
        sigpic

        "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

        Comment

        • #5
          crazyucbr
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2012
          • 794

          Originally posted by Quiet
          I like my .45ACP revolver (S&W Model 325PD 2.5").

          I kinda want to get a S&W Model 625JM to go with it.


          my S&W Model 325PD (2.5")
          Man that thing is a beauty
          "get that evil thing out of the house"

          FFLs/Store I support and recommend:
          Don at Straightline Tactical in Anaheim
          Steve at OC Firearms in Fountain Valley.

          Comment

          • #6
            Tom-ADC
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 3614

            Smith 25 or I think Colt had the 1917 used 1/2 moon clips, Smith also had one back then.
            US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

            Comment

            • #7
              Biigg50
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2009
              • 561

              You can use auto rim cartridges if you don't want to use moon clips. Buffalo Bore makes some great loads in auto rim.

              Comment

              • #8
                SCAR Face
                Member
                • Apr 2012
                • 133

                I have a 325 Thunder Ranch and love it. Hard to beat a railed wheel gun for HD.

                Comment

                • #9
                  shooting4life
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 5770

                  Find a 625 pre lock or a 25
                  25-2

                  625

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Full Clip
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 10266

                    Yep, 625 JM. I went with the Hogue grip.
                    Love it with low-power custom loads.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CapnHawk
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 550

                      I have a 6" S&W revolver that consists of a Model 28 frame and a 1950 S&W .45 ACP barrel and cylinder. I use full-moon clips and it shoots like a dream.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        23 Blast
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 3754

                        You can go old school and look for a S&W Model of 1917:



                        Immensely fun, and with full moon clips, you've got to be careful because you'll end up shooting a lot more than you may be able to afford!
                        "Two dead?!? HOW?!?"
                        [sigh] "Bullets, mortar fire, heavy artillery salvos, terminal syphilis, bad luck --- the usual things, Captain."

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Capybara
                          CGSSA Coordinator
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Feb 2012
                          • 15670

                          I definitely like mine, great gun, fun to shoot, the moon clips are actually not bad, much easier to load than a 1911 magazine.

                          NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Full Clip
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Dec 2006
                            • 10266

                            ^^^ Nice...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              MrOrange
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2006
                              • 2262

                              They're big, clunky, underpowered, obsolete hunks of steel that are WAAY too expensive for the performance they offer. Yes, I have one!

                              When I got my 625 nobody wanted such devices, for the reasons listed above, and revolvers in general didn't have the cachet they do now. I got mine as a back up to my auto, not to carry in an ankle holster but so I'd have something to shoot when the auto was getting fixed.

                              Full-moon clips aren't a liability, they're a big plus, being much faster than speed-loaders. They also help ejection compared to regular rimmed revolver cartridges, because the extractor star is bearing on the whole clip and not just the edges of the rims. Hecka lot easier to police up your brass, too! There was a rumor that Charter was going to make a .45 ACP version of their clipless auto cartridge revolver, but that may have been wishful thinking on behalf of the writer.

                              I can't believe how expensive 625s have become, and I don't think I'd buy one at present.

                              Coulda swore Taurus made a .45 ACP revolver, which would be okay for the occasional fill-in role, but I can't find any on their web site.
                              I meant, it is my opinion that...






                              I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
                              I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
                              You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1