Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Thinking about buying a 9mm 1911

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kalibear
    Yo
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 604

    Thinking about buying a 9mm 1911

    Specifically the Springfield Target Loaded model PI9134L. I don't reload yet so the main reason I want one is the cheaper ammo (I'm a big fan of 9mm too). I shoot around 1,000 rds a month. Anybody have experience with one? I heard you can fit a .38 super barrel to it too and can shoot both which would be pretty cool.
    "Want me to punch-i-size your face, for free?" ~ RF
  • #2
    -hanko
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jul 2002
    • 14174

    Originally posted by kalibear:
    ...I heard you can fit a .38 super barrel to it too and can shoot both which would be pretty cool.
    You'll also need a slide (smaller firing pin, different extractor) and a different ejector (pinned to the frame), not to mention different magazines. Be patient wneh changing over the ejector, otherwise it's an easy switch. You can also get a 9mm barrel...9mm Largo might be interesting.

    -hanko
    True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

    Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

    A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

    Comment

    • #3
      50 Freak
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 3412

      a 9mm 1911 is called a Browning Hi-Power.

      Has all the "improvements" John Browning saw lacking from the 1911 design.
      I'm Rick James...Be-otch!!!!

      Comment

      • #4
        bear
        Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 411

        Sorry but according to Colt, a 9mm 1911 is called the Commander.

        (They added .45acp later.)

        I been looking for one for a while now.

        Comment

        • #5
          kalibear
          Yo
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 604

          Originally posted by bear:
          Sorry but according to Colt, a 9mm 1911 is called the Commander.

          (They added .45acp later.)

          I been looking for one for a while now.
          Did you see this? http://calguns.net/groupee/forums/a/.../m/66610518521
          "Want me to punch-i-size your face, for free?" ~ RF

          Comment

          • #6
            joel1316
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 1086



            I love my Springfield, definately recommend it!

            Comment

            • #7
              HeHateMe
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 551

              I have a 9mm 1911 from SA. I havent' had any problems with it. I changed out the ILS and the trigger is much improved. Recoil is almost nothing. I'd recommend one.
              **********************************************
              - Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle.
              - WTB: Nerf N-Strike Longshot CS-6

              Comment

              • #8
                imported_Matt-man
                Junior Member
                • Jul 2003
                • 54

                Got one too, the fixed sight model. I like it a lot. Buy one.

                Comment

                • #9
                  imported_TMC
                  Junior Member
                  • Sep 2002
                  • 57

                  Originally posted by -hanko:
                  You'll also need a slide (smaller firing pin, different extractor) and a different ejector (pinned to the frame), not to mention different magazines. Be patient wneh changing over the ejector, otherwise it's an easy switch. You can also get a 9mm barrel...9mm Largo might be interesting.

                  -hanko
                  If the gun is a 9mm then you will need a different slide as Hanko said (the super has a slightly larger case head than the 9mm). The 9mm and super use the same firing pin and ejector and the extractor can be adjusted for the larger case head. The difference is minimal and some 9mm slides have enough tolerance to take a super.

                  If you reload and want a hotter round you can gas up 9mm to standard super velocities. Many USPSA open guns are chambered in 9mm an are making major power factor (115's at about 1,475fps but for that level you will need a barrel with a fully supported chamber and that means cutting the frame for a ramped barrel. 9mm +p has about the same ballistics as factory 38 super so if you just want the hotter round go with +p.

                  9mm Largo is a 9x23 size case but the ballistics are just over that of 9mm. Largo is a varient to get around some countries laws that do not allow civilians to own a firearm in a caliber that the countries military uses.

                  If you want a really hot cartridge then get a 9x23 barrel. With factory Winchester 9x23 you can use an unsupported barrel (9x23 has a really thick case), it will fit the 9mm slide and deliver 125's at over 1,400 feet per second.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1