Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

S&W Model 28 vs 686+

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    23 Blast
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 3754

    You can always get a 686+. They're still current production. A very nice 28 is the better buy, IMO. However, I'm a bit of a Smith fanboy. I really like the older, pre-lock models. I do not own a 27 or 28, but own 3 L-frames. All wonderful guns, but I do lust for a 27.
    "Two dead?!? HOW?!?"
    [sigh] "Bullets, mortar fire, heavy artillery salvos, terminal syphilis, bad luck --- the usual things, Captain."

    Comment

    • #32
      ptgarcia
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 744

      I like blued revolvers best so I'd get the Model 28.
      Paul

      Comment

      • #33
        JCM
        Member
        • Apr 2011
        • 210

        gonna go down to the LGS this afternoon... hope it's still there!

        If you post here later with a pic it's because I got it :-)
        something something something

        Comment

        • #34
          dragon7
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2007
          • 576

          Get the 28. If you plan on shooting a lot of magnum rounds the extras heft and strength of the 28 is a plus. 686 is a great revolver but you will feel every magnum round at the end of the day.

          Comment

          • #35
            CoopsDad
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 1710

            I have a 6" 686 built in the early 90's; right out of the box, the trigger was smooth as butter. The only thing I've done in the last 20 years is add a set of hogue grips. That made a very good gun even better.

            Comment

            • #36
              JCM
              Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 210

              aha! Bought it! It was still there.

              Here it is:


              Yeah it was that much, but it is nice... there was literally no wear anywhere, it looked like it had never been shot. Pinned and recessed as expected. Serial number puts it somewhere in '75-'77.

              I'm stoked!
              something something something

              Comment

              • #37
                trigger945
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2012
                • 5795

                Man... What a beauty! Congrats!
                One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

                AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

                Comment

                • #38
                  CoopsDad
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 1710

                  Really nice gun! Those small grips, though... get a set of nice Hogues and box up the wood ones.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    kurac
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 2917

                    very nice condition, it much harder to find a clean 4" model 28 than it is to find a nice one in 6"
                    www.culinagrips.com
                    "custom grips for shooters by shooters"

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      bigbob76
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2007
                      • 3954

                      Originally posted by toadman
                      Get the 28. Later on you can always get the 686, but how often do you run across a 28 in that kind of condition?
                      +1 I have both the 28 and the 686. It makes more sense to get the 28 while you can. You can get a 686 any time. I wouldn't be surprised if we got new legislation that made it impossible to do a PPT on off list handguns. The 28 in original condition is equal to the 686 that somebody paid good money to have an action job done on. They are both wonderful. If I was going to carry it I would go with the 686 though.
                      If you can't explain it simply you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        missiontrails
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 7879

                        The SEALS use the 686 on water missions... more than the Sig. The use the Sig for "dryer" missions.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          noyo55
                          Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 178

                          You made the RIGHT choice!!!!

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            JCM
                            Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 210

                            Originally posted by CoopsDad
                            Really nice gun! Those small grips, though... get a set of nice Hogues and box up the wood ones.
                            Hogues are recommended over Pachmayers?

                            I'm soo excited!

                            This will match up with my Colt Trooper MK III from the same era...

                            I'll now have:
                            S&W Model 60 Pro 3"
                            S&W Model 28 4"
                            Colt Trooper Mark III nickel plated 6 inch.
                            something something something

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1