Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Dan Wesson Specialist VS SA TRP Operator

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • uglyducky
    Banned
    • Dec 2012
    • 152

    Dan Wesson Specialist VS SA TRP Operator

    anyone have FHE with both of these pistols or thoughts on pros/cons and bang (pun intended) for buck with each? just picked up a DW Vbob and can't believe how nice it is. sold my MC operator to step up my full size rail gun and now looking at the two mentioned above
  • #2
    PutTogether
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 2370

    No experience with the specific DW model you're mentioning, but did have a PM7. Great gun, didn't love the blasted finish on the top of the slide and front strap. Fit and finish were excellent. Front sight flew off of mine second range trip, one phone call and they sent me TWO in the mail for free, very quickly.

    Currently have the TRP. Unbelievable gun for the money. At least it was a few years ago when you could get them for decent prices. The fit and finish of a TRP really is a step above the 'loaded' Springfield line. The frame and slide have numbers etched on them inside to denote they belong to each other, so SOME amount of extra work is done. It fits well, handles well, shoots well.

    The non rail TRP is fantastic. The railed TRPs are just as good quality wise, but are also a pain in the ash. The adjustable sight on the operator doesn't make a lick of sense to me for that type of gun, and the take down stuff on the full rail gun is a pain. I'm a standard GI length guide rod type of guy though, so take that with a grain of salt. Any gun I buy with a full length rod IMMEDIATELY has a normal rod and plug put in. I have extras on hand constantly.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      Legasat
      Intergalactic Member
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Mar 2009
      • 4151

      Both real high quality 1911's.

      The only thing I did not like about the TRP I shot, was the front strap checkering. It was very sharp, sharp like it could draw blood with enough shots. Maybe it was a one-off.

      All of the Dan Wesson's I have shot have been first rate.
      ..

      .........STGC(SW)


      SAF Life Member

      sigpic
      NRA Benefactor

      Comment

      • #4
        ruddogg
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2010
        • 2581

        I've been eyeing the DW Specialist & Valor too...

        Comment

        • #5
          Speedpower
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2010
          • 2238

          ......................Dan Wesson Specialist!

          Comment

          • #6
            CAGLS
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2012
            • 3709

            I've read the Dan Wessons have no MIM parts, 100% made in USA, and fit and finish is excellent. Both are excellent 1911s.

            Comment

            • #7
              PutTogether
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 2370

              Originally posted by Legasat
              Both real high quality 1911's.

              The only thing I did not like about the TRP I shot, was the front strap checkering. It was very sharp, sharp like it could draw blood with enough shots. Maybe it was a one-off.

              All of the Dan Wesson's I have shot have been first rate.
              Not a 1 off. the 20 lip checkering is sharp. Your hand gets used to it after a while, and you'll have a million little spike indentations on your fingers, but it won't draw blood.

              mine is 7 years old with I don't know how many thousand rounds, they are still sharp.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                InGrAM
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2010
                • 3699

                You can't go wrong with either, IMO.

                That being said, the Dan Wesson is far more attractive compared to the TRP. I cannot stand when companies billboard their logo/trademark all over any gun, especially 1911's. That was one of the factors that led me to choose the Valor over the TRP.

                Comment

                • #9
                  shamu415
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 682

                  Both 1911s offer exceptional value. My trp shoots like a dream. I'm sure the Dan Wesson is just as nice

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    IPSICK
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • 4259

                    You Dan Wesson fans are making me very jealous.
                    "When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

                    "Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      InGrAM
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2010
                      • 3699

                      Originally posted by IPSICK
                      You Dan Wesson fans are making me very jealous.
                      If you can join the club, you will not regret it one bit. My V-bob is the best handgun I have ever owned and probably will ever own.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        IPSICK
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • 4259

                        Originally posted by InGrAM
                        If you can join the club, you will not regret it one bit. My V-bob is the best handgun I have ever owned and probably will ever own.
                        I'd love to compare one to my custom TRP Operator. Any offers?
                        "When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

                        "Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          uglyducky
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 152

                          Originally posted by InGrAM
                          You can't go wrong with either, IMO.

                          That being said, the Dan Wesson is far more attractive compared to the TRP. I cannot stand when companies billboard their logo/trademark all over any gun, especially 1911's. That was one of the factors that led me to choose the Valor over the TRP.
                          I just picked up a vbob so i'm sold on DW but i had (past tense b/c i bought it) the chance to pick up a SA TRP Op with 1/2 rail for a fair price - it's on the way to my FFL to SSE and DROS . . . I'll report back once i've taken her out to the range. I do need to change that damn rear sight, harrison seems to make a good alternative.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            mtenenhaus
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • 3416

                            both great pistols.....but its really tough to beat the SA warranty/customer service.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              InGrAM
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2010
                              • 3699

                              Originally posted by IPSICK
                              I'd love to compare one to my custom TRP Operator. Any offers?
                              ? You want to buy or rent it? lol

                              Originally posted by uglyducky
                              I just picked up a vbob so i'm sold on DW but i had (past tense b/c i bought it) the chance to pick up a SA TRP Op with 1/2 rail for a fair price - it's on the way to my FFL to SSE and DROS . . . I'll report back once i've taken her out to the range. I do need to change that damn rear sight, harrison seems to make a good alternative.
                              Thanks, I would appreciate that. I love both companies but DW will always have a head over SA because of the billboarding, IMO. The quality is the same(unless you go to SA custom shop, which is excellent) but the style ruins SA TRPs for me. Sadly...

                              You don't like Heinie sights?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1