Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

refinish options on kimber 1911

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • nighttowl
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 77

    refinish options on kimber 1911

    Ive been reading up on types of finishes used on firearms, but im still not sure which way to go.

    the kimber I have is black, but the finish is worn in some places, and id like to to look black again.

    what are my options?

    Ive looked at Parkerizing kits, considered black oxide, and bluing, but the fact is Im unsure what the results will be.

    Id like a black matte finish like what it originally came with.


  • #2
    Press Check
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 4879

    $?

    If you have money to spend, I would highly recommend Hard Hat finish from Dave Severns. Without doubt, the most durable finish available. Otherwise, Cerakote is a really nice finish, and is available in several variations of black. There is also Black-T, which is an amazing finish as well.

    Personally, I would also recommend finding out what finishes your local Pistolsmith's offer.

    Comment

    • #3
      skosh69
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2011
      • 4290

      Originally posted by Press Check
      If you have money to spend, I would highly recommend Hard Hat finish from Dave Severns. Without doubt, the most durable finish available. Otherwise, Cerakote is a really nice finish, and is available in several variations of black. There is also Black-T, which is an amazing finish as well.

      Personally, I would also recommend finding out what finishes your local Pistolsmith's offer.
      +1, Dave Severn's "hard hat" finish is one of the best finishes I've ever seen on a gun!!!

      Comment

      • #4
        madjack956
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 2617

        I have a well used black Kimber also. I was thinking of a two-tone finish of o.d. green and black in Cerakote.
        Paralyzed Veterans of America www.pva.org

        Comment

        • #5
          nighttowl
          Junior Member
          • Dec 2012
          • 77

          Hard hat is $350, but the killer is the 8 week lead time.

          any other suggestions? probably going to go w/ Cerakote it looks like.

          Comment

          • #6
            SLO1911Fan
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2010
            • 1483

            CCR Firearm Refinishing services, quality craftsmanship at an affordable price. Refinishing of handguns,rifles,shotguns using Cera-Hide a teflon/moly based ceramic coating.


            They did the slide and controls on my kimber. Years later it still looks great.
            I'm a big old, bourbon-soaked cigar-huffing ***, as God in his infinite wisdom meant me to be. - Charlie Sheen.

            Comment

            • #7
              Press Check
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2011
              • 4879

              Originally posted by nighttowl
              Hard hat is $350, but the killer is the 8 week lead time.
              I share the same sentiment, but it would be worth the wait.

              Comment

              • #8
                Press Check
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2011
                • 4879

                Originally posted by jessegpresley
                Hard Hat is kinda pointless on a $1,000 gun. I wouldn't even want it on my 1911s. I like finishes that are easy to remove and redo, like Armory Kote, Armor Tuff and Perma Kote.
                Armory Kote is a great finish, and since it is done in-house, the turn-around time is quick.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1