Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Nightstand Mag Rotation

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • capturedlive
    Member
    • Sep 2010
    • 231

    Nightstand Mag Rotation

    Any thoughts about how often you should replace the magazine of the gun you keep in the nightstand?
    "I'm your huckleberry..."
  • #2
    HUTCH 7.62
    In Memoriam
    • Aug 2006
    • 11298

    Get a Revolver then you never have to worry about mag rotation
    Some say that he once mooned two prostitutes just for a round of drinks, but wasn't surprised by the reply......They call him, the Hutch
    Some say that he rode a dirtbike 7k miles across the country and that he once applied Bengay to his own testicles for a mere $50............They call him, the Hutch -Top Gear

    http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60

    Comment

    • #3
      ThiZZ
      Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 404

      Call me a noob, but whats the reason behind switching out the magazine?

      Comment

      • #4
        ucsdryder
        Member
        • Jun 2009
        • 344

        There is no reason.

        Comment

        • #5
          Peter.Steele
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2010
          • 7351

          Springs don't wear out from being constantly compressed. It's the cycling action of constant compression-release-compression that kills them. Your magazine will not degrade from being left there constantly loaded.

          Some ammunition might, though. I wouldn't worry about metal cartridges, but I have heard anecdotal evidence about shotgun shells deforming after long storage in box magazines, from being pressed against the bottom of the bolt for long periods of time. Again, I stress that this is anecdotal, and I haven't seen any real proof of it.
          NRA Life Member

          No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            capturedlive
            Member
            • Sep 2010
            • 231

            ThiZZ, I heard that if you keep a loaded mag in your gun for an extended period of time, the spring loses its resilience.
            "I'm your huckleberry..."

            Comment

            • #7
              chim-chim7
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2010
              • 1845

              Originally posted by capturedlive
              Any thoughts about how often you should replace the magazine of the gun you keep in the nightstand?


              Yea, when it wears out. Which is many years if not routinely used.

              Comment

              • #8
                chim-chim7
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2010
                • 1845

                Originally posted by capturedlive
                ThiZZ, I heard that if you keep a loaded mag in your gun for an extended period of time, the spring loses its resilience.
                Extended period being many years.

                Comment

                • #9
                  capturedlive
                  Member
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 231

                  OK... There seems to be a discrepancy.
                  "I'm your huckleberry..."

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    tbc
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 5955

                    Originally posted by Peter.Steele
                    Springs don't wear out from being constantly compressed. It's the cycling action of constant compression-release-compression that kills them. Your magazine will not degrade from being left there constantly loaded.
                    This. In short, it calls metal fatigue.


                    Sent from iPhone

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      003
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 3436

                      I would be more concerned with how often you shoot your night stand gun for familiarity and practice. Modern springs last a very long time, and most of the wear is created during the spring flex of loading and unloading. I see no reason to be concerned with spring fatigue simply because a given magazine is loaded for an extended period of time. I recently fired two HK USP .45 magazines that I found in the back of my safe where I put them when I retired in 2002. Both worked perfectly, and I have no concern relative to using them in a SD situation.

                      You may want to get into a routine of taking your night stand gun to the range on a regular basis (monthly or quarterly) and shooting up the loaded magazine and reload it with fresh ammunition. While I do not believe that is necessary as it relates to either the ammunition or the magazine, it is most certainly necessary for you to maintain your basic skill level.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        capturedlive
                        Member
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 231

                        003, sound advice. I've probably been neglecting if too long in favor of the ones in my safe.
                        "I'm your huckleberry..."

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Press Check
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2011
                          • 4879

                          If you routinely chamber and eject rounds, you may want to inspect the rounds for bullet set-back.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1