Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SSE gun for CCW

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • YankeeDog
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 5

    SSE gun for CCW

    Hi All,
    I'm new here and am looking to purchase my first handgun and then apply for a CCW. My first choice is a Walther PPQ which is not on the legal CA gun list. My understanding is that the only way to get this gun would be by the single shot exemption. I understand it's legal, but it seems shady and an attempt to circumvent the intent of the law. I don't want any trouble. Would using a SSE pistol to get a CCW cause a problem, especially with acquiring the CCW? Should I just get a pistol that's on the CA list as my first?
  • #2
    Cyc Wid It
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 4485

    You aren't circumventing the law. It's perfectly legal. Some counties may specify that CCW weapons must be rostered.
    WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

    Comment

    • #3
      lilro
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2011
      • 2374

      Originally posted by Cyc Wid It
      You aren't circumventing the law. It's perfectly legal. Some counties may specify that CCW weapons must be rostered.
      This.

      What county you in?
      There is no justification for the public servant police to be more heavily armed than the law-abiding public they serve...Unless...the government's intention is to be more powerful than the people.

      Comment

      • #4
        YankeeDog
        Junior Member
        • Feb 2013
        • 5

        I'm in El Dorado county. And like I said, I know it's legal, but it seems shady. I don't want it to influence my CCW application.

        Comment

        • #5
          Librarian
          Admin and Poltergeist
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 44689

          Originally posted by YankeeDog
          I'm in El Dorado county. And like I said, I know it's legal, but it seems shady. I don't want it to influence my CCW application.
          It's exactly as shady as obeying the speed limit, in order to deny local government the traffic fine revenue.
          ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

          Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

          Comment

          • #6
            intruder1_92tt
            Member
            • Mar 2010
            • 152

            It should also be noted that you can purchase an off-roster handgun by purchasing from a private seller. I cannot imagine how you might find that method of acquisition to be less than above board, and there is no way for the Sheriff to know which method you used.

            All posts were written by a multi-ped robot that stole my phone.

            Comment

            • #7
              TheDeej
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2010
              • 510

              There's nothing shady about following the law as it is written.
              Originally posted by MrPlink
              what guitar would you recommend for SHTF?
              I think I would go with a Telecaster. The bolt on neck would be the strongest to deal with terrorist zombies. I know most folks will say Strat, but I think the trem system is unreliable.
              I mean, who needs to dive bomb when SHTF? That only happens in movies.
              CERTIFIABLE RIMFIRE JUNKIE.

              Alpinestars Track Pants for sale!

              Comment

              • #8
                Bainter1212
                Calguns Addict
                • Feb 2013
                • 5936

                Yup, go for it. D'Agostini in El Dorado is only gonna care if you purchased it through a CA FFL, if at all. And PLEASE, let us know who does the SSE, how much it cost, where you get the gun and what you pay for it. I have been LUSTING after a PPQ for awhile now......

                Comment

                • #9
                  IVC
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jul 2010
                  • 17640

                  Originally posted by intruder1_92tt
                  ...and there is no way for the Sheriff to know which method you used.
                  CA registers handguns through DROS and the transfer is indeed listed as a roster exempt transfer of a single shot pistol.

                  Otherwise, what everyone else said. Nothing shady and nothing special about a non-roster handgun which you could have acquired in any variety of other ways, including family transfers and PPT.

                  The only thing I would potentially consider is that if you are involved in a shooting, the DA will have a document saying that you modified your handgun. This would put you into similar position as someone who had a trigger job done on their carry gun. Not sure that it makes any difference, but this is CA...
                  sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mesa Defense
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 2172

                    Originally posted by Librarian
                    It's exactly as shady as obeying the speed limit, in order to deny local government the traffic fine revenue.
                    Well said

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Mesa Defense
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 2172

                      Originally posted by IVC
                      CA registers handguns through DROS and the transfer is indeed listed as a roster exempt transfer of a single shot pistol.

                      Otherwise, what everyone else said. Nothing shady and nothing special about a non-roster handgun which you could have acquired in any variety of other ways, including family transfers and PPT.

                      The only thing I would potentially consider is that if you are involved in a shooting, the DA will have a document saying that you modified your handgun. This would put you into similar position as someone who had a trigger job done on their carry gun. Not sure that it makes any difference, but this is CA...
                      I believe that, if someone was so inclined, they can simply vol reg it to themselves as a semi after SSE registration to themselves.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        LBDamned
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 19040

                        it's no more shady than the the inquisitiveness seems to be...

                        as with most things in life - if you aren't comfortable with it, it's not for you.

                        If you are simply asking about SSE and want to debate it's legality, the topic should have been phrased different.
                        "Kamala is a radical leftist lunatic" ~ Donald J. Trump

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          YankeeDog
                          Junior Member
                          • Feb 2013
                          • 5

                          I'd like to thank you all for responding to me.
                          I apologize if I implied that acquiring an SSE gun was unlawful or immoral.
                          I know El Dorado is a shall issue county, but my question was really if anyone who applied for a CCW using a off roster weapon found it in any way to negatively affect the CCW application.

                          I'm going to be a new gun owner if I decide to go through with it and will need some guidance and a little hand holding. Can someone recommend an FFL nearby to handle this?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            wongsta10
                            Junior Member
                            • Aug 2012
                            • 61

                            I'm in the process of getting my CCW, and will be listing my Springfield XD-s (off-roster single stack .45). The interviewing sheriff didn't think anything of it. Don't know if there would be a difference in El Dorado, but in general, it shouldn't be a problem.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Sam
                              Calguns Addict
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 5205

                              I didn't initially have a SSE gun on my LTC but I've modified twice with SSE and no one has asked or seemed to care.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1