Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First 50 through my 9mm Shield.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • nickel plate
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2012
    • 2134

    First 50 through my 9mm Shield.

    My S&W M&P Shield is the off roster varient model via SSE purchase. I took it up to our mountain property, set up two targets, one at 5 yards and another at seven yards. On the very first seven shot magazine fired, the last shot failed to leave the slide open however it did expell the last spent cartridge. Grumble, grumble. The remainder of the shoot went flawless.
    The first magazine had seven rounds, the rest of the seven round magazine reloadings only had six rounds as it was pure torture to press in the seventh. I'm a tall man and just a bit over 200 lbs with good sized hands but that seventh round was holding up my shoot as I had other pistols to work with.
    I'm used to all metal semi-autos and this being my first polymer frame, the 9mm Shield was acting rather snappy which showed up on the two targets so I may need to figure out a different style of grip. I had many high and low piercings with several bulls, all of which were narrowed in within the vertical center line of both targets.
    Ammunition used: Fiocchi 115 GRN FMJ. The reason I only shot 50 rounds is that when I picked up the new Shield, my LGS had no 9mm ammunition to sell but I did find some at another local LGS-two box maximum so I have one left for the next shoot, next month.
    Based on short usage, I do like this pistol and I hope the recoil and magazine springs will loosen up SOON.
    Last edited by nickel plate; 02-12-2013, 4:23 PM.
  • #2
    ElDub1950
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2012
    • 5688

    Nice! Hoping to pick one up this summer if they become readily available. Don't want it enough to pay for SSE

    Comment

    • #3
      Cyc Wid It
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 4485

      Use a mag loader?
      WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

      Comment

      • #4
        nickel plate
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2012
        • 2134

        Originally posted by ElDub1950
        Nice! Hoping to pick one up this summer if they become readily available. Don't want it enough to pay for SSE
        Are you crazy? fifty bucks??

        Comment

        • #5
          nickel plate
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2012
          • 2134

          Originally posted by Cyc Wid It
          Use a mag loader?
          Good choice, didn't have one and the temperature was hovering around 39 degrees.

          Comment

          • #6
            ElDub1950
            Calguns Addict
            • Aug 2012
            • 5688

            Originally posted by nickel plate
            Are you crazy? fifty bucks??
            Yeah, I'm cheap! And since I just 'want' instead of 'need' I'll wait

            Comment

            • #7
              nickel plate
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2012
              • 2134

              Originally posted by ElDub1950
              Yeah, I'm cheap! And since I just 'want' instead of 'need' I'll wait
              Fifty dollars more and you could be shooting an M&P Shield?? Life is to short my friend...

              Comment

              • #8
                SVRider
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2007
                • 1914

                Leave the mags fully loaded for a week or two and they should loosen up.
                FOR SALE:

                Check back later

                Comment

                • #9
                  repomanNWP
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 1058

                  Congrats on the Shield, I'm drooling over one now. Are you willing to say who did the SSE work for you? I may just get stupid and buy one at a premium off Gunbroker, I'm interested in the .40 cal model and want to have it in my hot little hands for a CCW class at the end of April. Thanks.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    robojet
                    Member
                    • May 2012
                    • 237

                    I would really like one of these, but will wait for reasonable heads to prevail. I watched a gunbroker auction get bid up to $800. Insane.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      NutFarmer1
                      Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 118

                      Where would you have it shipped if purchased on gunbroker?? I'm not familiar with that process with sse and all.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        USM0083
                        Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 332

                        The mag springs will wear in eventually. I've been carrying a M&P 45 as a duty pistol for the last year, and the 10th round was really hard to load.

                        Are you used to striker fired pistols? How much vertical stringing are you getting? It sounds like you just have to get used to the trigger.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          repomanNWP
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 1058

                          I've not done it but the SSE process, simplified, goes like this:

                          1. You buy an off-roster handgun, and have it sent to an FFL
                          2. That FFL performs the necessary gunsmithing changes to the gun - typically longer barrel is needed
                          3. You take ownership of gun from FFL, and can legally restore it back to original condition.

                          The key here is to find an FFL that can do the mods. I contacted my LGS today, and they said that they haven't done any SSE's for the Shield yet, and if I can figure out a longer barrel for the .40cal shield that would be compatible, and if I was willing to give them the barrel after it was all said and done, they would be interested.

                          Is it a lot of trouble to go through, yes, but what else are you going to do with your time and money?
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            nickel plate
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 2134

                            Originally posted by USM0083
                            The mag springs will wear in eventually. I've been carrying a M&P 45 as a duty pistol for the last year, and the 10th round was really hard to load.

                            Are you used to striker fired pistols? How much vertical stringing are you getting? It sounds like you just have to get used to the trigger.
                            This is my first to own and ever shoot a striker fire pistol.
                            What is vertical stringing? I have an idea and an answer but please do clarify "stringing".

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Fate
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Apr 2006
                              • 9545

                              Originally posted by nickel plate
                              This is my first to own and ever shoot a striker fire pistol.
                              What is vertical stringing? I have an idea and an answer but please do clarify "stringing".
                              Vertical stringing is the vertical dispersement of shots you're reporting. It's like a line being drawn along the target with bullet holes. Several things can cause it. Are you covering your target with the dot on the front sight? M&Ps are designed for that sight picture, not the traditional tip of front sight blade.
                              sigpic "On bended knee is no way to be free." - Eddie Vedder, "Guaranteed"

                              "Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
                              , in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1