Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Gunlocks-Caifornia for PPT

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Maddawg46
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2012
    • 728

    Gunlocks-Caifornia for PPT

    Do I need a gun lock for a PPT?
    This year will go down in history.... Don't want to offend anybody
  • #2
    Brandon04GT
    In Memoriam
    • Feb 2011
    • 3016

    Depends on your situation.

    Comment

    • #3
      fmunk
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2011
      • 3896

      Generally, yes. No, if you have a DOJ approved safe and are willing to sign a safe affidavit.


      FS: Atlas Bipod, Custom G23 RMR slide, ETS mags, Jagerwerks, Recover G26/27, CZ Scorpion bits, etc.

      Comment

      • #4
        keenkeen
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2011
        • 6782

        Originally posted by fmunk
        Generally, yes. No, if you have a DOJ approved safe and are willing to sign a safe affidavit.
        Safe affidavit does not work for a handgun...only long guns.
        "But far more numerous was the herd of such, Who think too little and who talk too much." -John Dryden

        Comment

        • #5
          fmunk
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 3896

          Originally posted by keenkeen
          Safe affidavit does not work for a handgun...only long guns.
          Ha, then one shop I went to didn't know what they were doing. Not surprised.


          FS: Atlas Bipod, Custom G23 RMR slide, ETS mags, Jagerwerks, Recover G26/27, CZ Scorpion bits, etc.

          Comment

          • #6
            keenkeen
            Calguns Addict
            • May 2011
            • 6782

            Originally posted by fmunk
            Ha, then one shop I went to didn't know what they were doing. Not surprised.
            Pretty common...never look a gift horse in the mouth!

            "But far more numerous was the herd of such, Who think too little and who talk too much." -John Dryden

            Comment

            • #7
              TommyOC
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2012
              • 48

              In LA City they make you buy one with your PPT, even if one is coming with the gun. Apparently they need proof of sale for a lock to "prove" that the owner has one. I think it's all LA city, but some seem to think stores make it up to make more money but who knows
              Heckler and Koch USP 9mm Full Size
              Umarex Colt M4 Ops .22lr

              Comment

              • #8
                TERRYGER
                Member
                • Dec 2009
                • 357

                you need a gunlock to carry the handgun out of the store. it can be one of yours but you better have a receipt that says you bought it within 30 days of using it. understand it is that way with rifles now too.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Librarian
                  Admin and Poltergeist
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 44691

                  Again, the whole story is at the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Bu...es.2C_and_Laws
                  ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

                  Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    uhlan1
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2012
                    • 6217

                    I have always signed a safe affidavit at quite a number of gun stores for PPT's and mostly handguns. I have never had to buy a lock.
                    "Hence it happened that all the armed prophets conquered, all the unarmed perished." - Niccolo Machiavelli

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Quiet
                      retired Goon
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 30242

                      Usually...
                      When I do a PPT of a handgun, I stop by my local Wal-Mart first (it's on the way there) and buy a gunlock.
                      During the PPT, I show the lock & receipt for the lock to the CA FFL dealer, who makes a copy of the receipt.
                      Afterwards, I go back to my local Wal-Mart (it's on the way back home) and return the gunlock.
                      sigpic

                      "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        keenkeen
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2011
                        • 6782

                        Originally posted by uhlan1
                        I have always signed a safe affidavit at quite a number of gun stores for PPT's and mostly handguns. I have never had to buy a lock.
                        Lots of "cool" shops out there I guess?

                        "But far more numerous was the herd of such, Who think too little and who talk too much." -John Dryden

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Mr357magnum
                          Member
                          • Oct 2012
                          • 393

                          Originally posted by TommyOC
                          In LA City they make you buy one with your PPT, even if one is coming with the gun. Apparently they need proof of sale for a lock to "prove" that the owner has one. I think it's all LA city, but some seem to think stores make it up to make more money but who knows
                          A newly purchased lock is necessary because they need a receipt dated within 10 days before delivery. Also, it must be a 'California Approved' lock.

                          So I can definitely understand why dealers only accept locks purchased the day of pickup at their own store. its not the dealers rules.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            5.0Driver
                            Member
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 118

                            "California law will accept many items to satisfy this requirement - a lock, a safe, a lock-box, or an internal lock designed into the firearm - as a 'firearms safety device'"

                            Ahh, so that explains why my Springfield 1911 didn't come with a cable lock and my XD did.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Libertarian71
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2009
                              • 796

                              Originally posted by Mr357magnum
                              A newly purchased lock is necessary because they need a receipt dated within 10 days before delivery. Also, it must be a 'California Approved' lock.

                              So I can definitely understand why dealers only accept locks purchased the day of pickup at their own store. its not the dealers rules.


                              Not if a lock accompanies the transfer. In other words, if the PPT seller is including the original lock with the transfer, you do not need to purchase a new one. You only need to purchase a new one if the PPT is not accompanied with a lock. Many dealers abuse this rule, and make you purchase one of their locks even if the PPT is accompanied with the original lock. Do not do business with those dealers.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1