Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Correct breathing for target shooting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    unusedusername
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 4124

    Preface this by me saying that I am not an expert. I can achieve a single 1" group contaning 100 rounds at 10 yards on a good day. I can only do this on a good day. On a bad day I can hit the paper.

    For handguns I use the same breathing techniques as for other martial arts. Of course, this does not help you.

    Basically, if you are thinking about your breathing you are not doing it right. For me, it's very zen.

    Breath control is pretty far down the list of things that make you accurate for handguns though. Worry about trigger control and grip until you get < 1" groups at 10 yards for 10 rounds without flyers.

    After that, then start worrying about breathing.

    Comment

    • #17
      LBDamned
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Feb 2011
      • 19040

      Originally posted by unusedusername
      Preface this by me saying that I am not an expert. I can achieve a single 1" group contaning 100 rounds at 10 yards on a good day. I can only do this on a good day. On a bad day I can hit the paper.

      For handguns I use the same breathing techniques as for other martial arts. Of course, this does not help you.

      Basically, if you are thinking about your breathing you are not doing it right. For me, it's very zen.

      Breath control is pretty far down the list of things that make you accurate for handguns though. Worry about trigger control and grip until you get < 1" groups at 10 yards for 10 rounds without flyers.

      After that, then start worrying about breathing.
      I appreciate this reply...

      can I ask though... even in MA, with all other techniques in check - is there a time that initially holding breath to steady a position, a benefit? Or is it something to avoid?

      I'm not trying to keep slamming my question... but I've noticed it for a long time and it's got me curious lately...

      BTW, I'm not asking about concentrating on holding breath - I'm asking about potential detriment from doing so naturally... or even more-so, finding an answer for doing so naturally...
      Last edited by LBDamned; 01-19-2013, 9:09 PM.
      "Kamala is a radical leftist lunatic" ~ Donald J. Trump

      Comment

      • #18
        Drivedabizness
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2009
        • 2610

        In pisotl shooting you should be breathing normally (e.g. slow fire) while you prepare for the shot then take last normal breath, release about half and go for the shot. However - if the shot does not break and you continue holding your breath, you run the risk of jerking just to be able to breath again. If the shot does not break. bring the gun down and start over.

        With the pistol, sight alignment and trigger control are paramount.
        Proud CGN Contributor
        USMC Pistol Team Alumni - Distinguished Pistol Shot
        Owner of multiple Constitutionally protected tools

        Comment

        • #19
          Horton Fenty
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2012
          • 921

          Originally posted by LBDamned
          at the risk of continuing OT (since this is a handgun topic)...

          Don't you find that you rush shots that way?... I've done similar - pattern breathing and squeeze on exhale... but without controlling the exhale and holding it a bit, I find that it's too rushed (if I'm going for precision)...

          I'm by no means an expert - far from it... just wondering your thoughts based on my experiences...
          Sometimes yea I feel the need to breath in again and start over, but 90% of the time I'm target shooting with all the time in the world so it doesn't matter. I'm don't do competitive rifle shooting and don't consider myself an expert.

          Handguns I'm concentrating so damn much on griping the thing right and puling the trigger straight back without moving I'd probably do worse if I tried to add breathing in there.

          I like what unusedusername was saying about it feeling zen. Holding your breath or trying to manipulate your breathing for me adds tension shooting any type of firearm.

          Comment

          • #20
            LBDamned
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2011
            • 19040

            Originally posted by Horton Fenty
            Sometimes yea I feel the need to breath in again and start over, but 90% of the time I'm target shooting with all the time in the world so it doesn't matter. I'm don't do competitive rifle shooting and don't consider myself an expert.

            Handguns I'm concentrating so damn much on griping the thing right and puling the trigger straight back without moving I'd probably do worse if I tried to add breathing in there.

            I like what unusedusername was saying about it feeling zen. Holding your breath or trying to manipulate your breathing for me adds tension shooting any type of firearm.
            slow fire target shooting at the range allows for "zen" approach...

            The held breath thing I was relating to is during quick weapon presentation (usually from cc, but also applies to OWB holster draw) - and rapid target acquisition (as would be required in defense situation)...

            I'm not able to get in a "zen" state that quickly...
            "Kamala is a radical leftist lunatic" ~ Donald J. Trump

            Comment

            • #21
              unusedusername
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 4124

              Originally posted by LBDamned
              I appreciate this reply...

              can I ask though... even in MA, with all other techniques in check - is there a time that initially holding breath to steady a position, a benefit? Or is it something to avoid?

              I'm not trying to keep slamming my question... but I've noticed it for a long time and it's got me curious lately...

              BTW, I'm not asking about concentrating on holding breath - I'm asking about potential detriment from doing so naturally... or even more-so, finding an answer for doing so naturally...
              Stopping your breath for more then a second or so will decrease the bloodflow to your muscles, which will increase the "shakeyness" of the muscles.

              Years ago, trainers would train "stopping your breath" while breaking the shot, however they no longer teach this way. The old logic was that less stuff moving in your body makes you more stable.

              It actually does not work this way as your body naturally stableizes itself best when it is in it's natural state of rest.

              You can run this experiment yourself:

              Hold an unloaded firearm with a laser sight, or barring that, just a regular laser pointer. Point it at a wall 25 feet away.

              Present your "firearm" and concentrate on the "front sight" (not the wall).

              Have a friend watch the wiggle of the dot while you either breathe naturally or hold your breath and see which one is more stable.

              Comment

              • #22
                9mmepiphany
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2008
                • 8075

                Originally posted by LBDamned
                additional question to "experts" - when presenting you pistol (from holster or cc), do you find yourself holding you breath?...

                My question is... is this a bad habit that I should focus on breaking?
                You really should try to not hold your breath during the presentation, because you'll find that you'll continue to hold it when you start moving too.

                What I've found works for me...it comes from martial arts...is the inhale as you reach for the gun and begin the draw. Then exhale during the press out to the first shot, visualize your exhaling breath pushing the sights toward the target and your trigger finger pulled toward your chest
                ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                Comment

                • #23
                  LBDamned
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 19040

                  ^^^ last couple of replies are very helpful... I'll be cognizant of initial breathing...

                  I do use laser sight with primary pistol (there is no excessive movement) - and typically I don't hold breath through first shot, only upon initial presentation - but I'll focus on inhale with grasp and exhale as I push towards target.

                  I'm not sure why I've developed the initial held breath habit, but I've always thought it might not be a good idea... the logic in these replies make sense.

                  Thanks again for the replies (and sorry OP, I didn't mean to jack your thread).
                  "Kamala is a radical leftist lunatic" ~ Donald J. Trump

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Wannawas
                    Junior Member
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 75

                    Thanks for the 1 a 1/2 tip and also the abdomen breathing tip 003 and 9mmepiphany. I tried it today with more focus, and I think I can get used to it.

                    As some have mentioned in this thread, it did make me rush a few times to place my shot before running out of breath.

                    Red Devil, the baby-breathing technique sounds very logical, as it allows breathing without moving the chest/shoulders. It is interesting because I'm reading The Miracle of Mindfulness by Tich Nhat Hanh, and which highly recommends this type of breathing for physical and emotional well being.

                    Thanks everyone for your contribution.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Wannawas
                      Junior Member
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 75

                      Originally posted by unusedusername

                      Basically, if you are thinking about your breathing you are not doing it right. For me, it's very zen.
                      .
                      I have no doubt that you are correct. But as a beginner, for me not to think about it, I have to first think about it, and then strive to do it correctly until it becomes second nature.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Wannawas
                        Junior Member
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 75

                        Originally posted by LBDamned

                        Again, sorry OP, I'm not trying to stomp on your thread - but instead of starting a new one, this might help your questions too (and others with similar technique)...
                        No problem, I'm glad you did. I learned from your question and from the responses you got.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          XDJYo
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Apr 2012
                          • 7092

                          This thread comes at a very good time! I've been struggling a lot with my shooting. I'm a newbie and initially got pretty decent groups fairly quickly compared to when I started. But, now that I'm going for smaller and smaller groups and not finding a ton of consistency, I was wondering about the anatomy of the perfect shot. Stance, grip, breathing etc.

                          My problem seems to stem from a slow shaking arm. I find it quite difficult to keep the gun steady and on target. And sometimes, it almost dips in time with my heartbeats. The comments above about blood flow seem very logical.

                          Since I'm headed to the range today (Reeds in Santa Clara, in case anyone is heading there too), I'm going to give some of the above suggestions a shot!
                          Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                          Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                          Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                          M&P 15 (Mine)

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            KeepItCal
                            Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • 171

                            Great thread; this helped me a lot. Thanks everyone.

                            For the ones not recommending that mini-breath hold on the exhale, what do you recommend instead? Steady exhale and shoot or between exhale and inhale?

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              XDJYo
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Apr 2012
                              • 7092

                              Too bad I didn't come across this thread earlier, I would've been able to do some dry fire practice with some of the techniques listed above. I'll have to do it at the range today tho and see which one works better for me.

                              Thanks again!
                              Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                              Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                              Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                              M&P 15 (Mine)

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Ronin2
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2011
                                • 5563

                                Respiratory pause is the key:

                                From the USMC shooting Team guide:

                                Breath control is another critical element in marksmanship. If the shooter breathes while trying to aim, the rise and fall of his chest causes the rifle to move vertically and disrupts his sight alignment. To eliminate this motion, it is necessary for the shooter to briefly stop breathing while firing a shot.

                                Natural Respiratory Pause
                                When shooting, the shooter takes normal breaths then he exhales until he reaches a point called natural respiratory pause. Natural respiratory pause is the period when the shooter is completely relaxed in his respiratory cycle.

                                The natural respiratory pause lasts just seconds during normal breathing, but this pause can be extended up to 15 seconds for some shooters to fire a shot.

                                This pause should last as long as the shooter feels comfortable with it. It really depends on the physical condition and the lung capacity of the shooter. Holding the breath longer than is comfortable will cause a lack of oxygen that can deteriorate vision and affect the shooter's ability to focus on the sights. Involuntary movements of the diaphragm will occur that will interfere with the shooter's ability to concentrate.

                                There are two techniques for achieving a comfortable natural respiratory pause :

                                Normal Breathing
                                The shooter breathes normally, and as he approaches taking the shot, he pauses, settles into his aiming point, applies trigger pressure, and takes the shot. It is easier to achieve an aiming point when breathing stops because the movement in the shooter's chest, abdomen,. and shoulders stop.

                                Getting the aiming point, applying trigger pressure, and taking the shot all occur during the shooter's natural respiratory pause. This type of breath control is usually preferred by the shooter who is in good physical condition because he can hold his breath longer with ease.

                                Decreased Breathing
                                The second technique for breath control is good for shooters that have trouble extending their natural respiratory pause.

                                As the shooter approaches taking the shot, he applies initial trigger pressure and decreases his breathing. He starts settling into his aiming point as his breathing decreases to a pause. He can obtain a proper sight picture during shallow breathing because he is not moving as much. He then pauses, achieves his final aiming point, and applies continual pressure to the trigger until the shot breaks.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1