Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Wheel guns - mixing two rounds?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SmithAndJohnson
    Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 251

    Wheel guns - mixing two rounds?

    I have this vague notion that mixing .38spc and .357mag in my S&W627 would be a great way to work on trigger control and anticipating recoil. Throw in 7 rounds of .38 and 1 of .357 (or vice versa), spin the cylinder with my eyes shut, and never knowing where the odd man out will drop.

    Maybe even throw 3 different possibilities into the mix - say 6 .38s, 1 .357, and 1 empty.

    Call me paranoid, but is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?
    Rule #3 - Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire.
    BillCA: "keep yer booger hook off the bang switch!"
  • #2
    CSACANNONEER
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2006
    • 44094

    It is fine to do and can be a great way to stop flinching.
    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor


    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

    sigpic
    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

    KM6WLV

    Comment

    • #3
      Ech0Sierra
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 944

      .357 is heavier than .38 Special, so it will always be at the bottom in the 6 O'Clock position.

      Comment

      • #4
        Overkill
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 776

        To make it even more apparent, don't load one cylinder- something you can't do with an auto.

        Comment

        • #5
          maxicon
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 4661

          I often do this. It's a great way to compare the relative recoils of the rounds, and skipping a chamber completely really shows up those flinches.
          sigpic
          NRA Life Member

          Comment

          • #6
            rivviepop
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2007
            • 2528

            I do the same, mix-n-match. and I always catch myself flinching when that stupid empty chamber pops up (actually I put a spent shell in so I can't tell visually) - it's great practice for my bad habits.

            Comment

            • #7
              CenterX
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2008
              • 1721

              I just set up my S&W 340pd with one 357 in it and 4 - 38+ rounds. spun it six times and not once did the 357 land at the #3 (6 0'clock position). cylinder drag has a lot to do with it, as well has how much force you spin the wheel.

              do the test - then state the results.
              sigpic
              - Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW

              Comment

              • #8
                CenterX
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 1721

                As for the original posters question.

                I do that all the time in practice. But mostly to help me work on the strong grip needed to control the cannon fire from a snubbie.
                sigpic
                - Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW

                Comment

                • #9
                  JTROKS
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 13093

                  To make it even more apparent, don't load one cylinder- something you can't do with an auto
                  If you load a dummy round in the mix with an auto you'll have the same effect. Of course easier to do with a revolver. I learned balancing a penny or a dime on top of a flat front sight is the best way in trigger control. Come to think of it I need to practice my double action trigger pull on my GP100.
                  The wise man said just find your place
                  In the eye of the storm
                  Seek the roses along the way
                  Just beware of the thorns...
                  K. Meine

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    davedog665
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • 525

                    I know some wheel guns its bad to fire with an empty cylinder so i put a spent casing in the cylinders
                    Hi cap=standard capacity!!! 10rnd=reduced capacity!!!
                    "A coward dies a thousand deaths; A hero dies but one" William Shakespeare

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ontmark
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2007
                      • 1237

                      If you load a dummy round in the mix with an auto you'll have the same effect. Of course easier to do with a revolver. I learned balancing a penny or a dime on top of a flat front sight is the best way in trigger control. Come to think of it I need to practice my double action trigger pull on my GP100.

                      Plus 1

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        sloguy
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • 1999

                        Originally posted by JTROKS
                        If you load a dummy round in the mix with an auto you'll have the same effect. Of course easier to do with a revolver. I learned balancing a penny or a dime on top of a flat front sight is the best way in trigger control. Come to think of it I need to practice my double action trigger pull on my GP100.
                        gotta specify that you dont fire the gun with the penny on top, just dryfire. i heard about a guy who did that with an automatic and the front sight slapped the penny into his face.
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                        Originally posted by xrMike
                        She's going to get sand in her action, if she's not careful.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1