Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.327 Fed Mag Questions for users

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TheDeej
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 510

    .327 Fed Mag Questions for users

    Hey all,

    info from people who actually shoot this round is not very prevalent when searching. Mostly from people just quoting specs or with the "why bother?" attitude.
    But I'm genuinely interested in the round and want to hear from those of you who actively shoot or have shot it.
    I know cost/availability seems to be the biggest gripe but I would plan to tool-up to reload the cartridge if I used it to cut down costs.
    I'm looking at it as a self-defense option, especially with my recoil sensitive wife in mind. She loves revolvers and likes my 686 but will only shoot light .38's from it.
    Originally posted by MrPlink
    what guitar would you recommend for SHTF?
    I think I would go with a Telecaster. The bolt on neck would be the strongest to deal with terrorist zombies. I know most folks will say Strat, but I think the trem system is unreliable.
    I mean, who needs to dive bomb when SHTF? That only happens in movies.
    CERTIFIABLE RIMFIRE JUNKIE.

    Alpinestars Track Pants for sale!
  • #2
    Marty33
    Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 260

    I have a Taurus revolver in 327. It is a heavy recoil cartridge. I believe it is a valid self defense round, 1500 + fpm from a snub nose pistol is nothing to sneeze at.

    Comment

    • #3
      Marty33
      Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 260

      PS, my wife hates to shoot it

      Comment

      • #4
        dadjx2
        Junior Member
        • May 2007
        • 26

        Comment

        • #5
          TheDeej
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2010
          • 510

          The gun in particular I'm considering is the S&W 632. I wonder how the barrel port helps. I know my wife could have fun shooting the 32 longs but I would like a good defense round loaded in there that she could fire and not be afraid of. I'm gonna have to see if any of the local ranges have a .327 to rent.
          Originally posted by MrPlink
          what guitar would you recommend for SHTF?
          I think I would go with a Telecaster. The bolt on neck would be the strongest to deal with terrorist zombies. I know most folks will say Strat, but I think the trem system is unreliable.
          I mean, who needs to dive bomb when SHTF? That only happens in movies.
          CERTIFIABLE RIMFIRE JUNKIE.

          Alpinestars Track Pants for sale!

          Comment

          • #6
            capturedlive
            Member
            • Sep 2010
            • 231

            I've got a .327 Ruger New Blackhawk revolver and love the round. (Love the gun, too) Very smooth, pleasant recoil. Not hard to find ammo online or stores like 2nd Amendment in Lancaster. Just not a Walmart/Big 5 kind of round. It sounds like recoil issue is not so much the round as it is the gun 'cause my 6" handles it like butter. But then again, 6" isn't really a home self-defense gun.
            "I'm your huckleberry..."

            Comment

            • #7
              Socalman
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2010
              • 1339

              I have shot the .327 and found it highly fun to shoot. It was from a Ruger SP101, do not recall length. While it does have recoil it is NOT in the same league as the .357 Ruger GP100.

              There is a good chance my next wheel gun will be SP 101 in .327.

              Comment

              • #8
                bnielsen
                Junior Member
                • Oct 2008
                • 35

                I have A USFA Sparrowhawk. Single action 71/2" barrel. The round is pleasure to shoot though it has a loud report. I really enjoy this pistol and caliber.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bobthegod
                  Member
                  • May 2012
                  • 271

                  I have the Ruger GP100 .327 4" holds seven rounds, shoots straight and has minimal recoil. My wife hates to shoot...well she hates recoil really. So I load this up with 32 shorts or longs or some32 H&R Magnums and she's all smiles. However the .327 loads are by far the most fun to shoot.......just short of a .357 (which I also have in GP100 4' and 6") I did a spring replacement and WOW how nice and lite the trigger is now, made a great gun.....super great. I have a lot of fun with this gun and so do the others that shoot it.

                  Ammo for it is easy to find....even here in California. Or you can go to the internet. I'm lucky to have a reloading company near by and can get custom reloads anytime I need them reducing costs even more so.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Bobthegod
                    Member
                    • May 2012
                    • 271

                    I have the Ruger GP100 .327 4" holds seven rounds, shoots straight and has minimal recoil. My wife hates to shoot...well she hates recoil really. So I load this up with 32 shorts or longs or some32 H&R Magnums and she's all smiles. However the .327 loads are by far the most fun to shoot.......just short of a .357 (which I also have in GP100 4' and 6") I did a spring replacement and WOW how nice and lite the trigger is now, made a great gun.....super great. I have a lot of fun with this gun and so do the others that shoot it.

                    Ammo for it is easy to find....even here in California. Or you can go to the internet. I'm lucky to have a reloading company near by and can get custom reloads anytime I need them reducing costs even more so.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Bobthegod
                      Member
                      • May 2012
                      • 271

                      I have the Ruger GP100 .327 4" holds seven rounds, shoots straight and has minimal recoil. My wife hates to shoot...well she hates recoil really. So I load this up with 32 shorts or longs or some32 H&R Magnums and she's all smiles. However the .327 loads are by far the most fun to shoot.......just short of a .357 (which I also have in GP100 4' and 6") I did a spring replacement and WOW how nice and lite the trigger is now, made a great gun.....super great. I have a lot of fun with this gun and so do the others that shoot it.

                      Ammo for it is easy to find....even here in California. Or you can go to the internet. I'm lucky to have a reloading company near by and can get custom reloads anytime I need them reducing costs even more so.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        vince42
                        Junior Member
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 76

                        My wife has a 3 inch ruger sp101 .327..practices with S&W .32 long..loves it. I shoot it with 100 grain .327 FMJ....takes big chunks out of hardwood I have shot...powerful round that my wife isnt wild about shooting.
                        It stays loaded for HD with 85 grain hollowpoints, a round that we both like, just expensive but 1 box will last forever (knock on wood).. Hope this helps

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          liketoshoot
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 3810

                          My daughter "stole" mine, (Ruger SP) so I bought another, does that tell you we like the round/gun,
                          think of it like the 357/38 shoot ability in changing cartridge from 327 mag to 32 long to H&R.
                          sigpic
                          Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Bobthegod
                            Member
                            • May 2012
                            • 271

                            I forgot to mention......once you shoot a few rounds out of my 500 Magnum the .327 is a *****cat no matter what load you use.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              TakeFive
                              Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 157

                              The .327 Federal Magnum out of the Blackhawk is way different than out of the SP101. The smaller gun kicks more and the report is very sharp because of the shorter barrel. That being said, there are a lot of .32 H&R Magnum loads suitable for self defense in the SP101 and the women I know who have handled the revolver like the feel of it and even the stock double action trigger pull is manageable for them. Added to that, you can work up from .32 S&W "mouse rounds" which are like .22 Long Rifle in report and recoil. Ruger doesn't even list the .327 SP101 on their site, so I guess getting one with 4 inch barrel is doubtful. Maybe Taurus?
                              In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1