Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First 1911: RIA Tactical Range reports on post #34 & 45

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MalC
    Member
    • Oct 2012
    • 432

    First 1911: RIA Tactical Range reports on post #34 & 45

    It's a RIA Tactical in .45acp. I haven't been this giddy since I was 10 years old on Christmas morning! Here she is:



    It's covered in the grease it shipped in so I'm going to spend the afternoon cleaning it in mineral spirits and lubing it up with Frog Lube. Range trip will commence tomorrow (hopefully) or Sunday, I'll give a range report ASAP.

    The trigger on this RIA is amazing... compared to the high-end 1911s it might not be top of the line, but I'm used to shooting Glocks and other striker fired guns, and this thing is absolute sweetness by comparison. The feed ramp is polished from the factory, which I didn't know and is a nice touch. The rollmark has been changed from the REALLY ugly white one to a more subtle colored version, which I'm happy about.

    I've drooled over 1911s since I was a little kid, I'm ecstatic!!

    EDIT: Field stripped and scrubbed with mineral spirits:


    After doing the first frog lube treatment:


    Last edited by MalC; 12-07-2012, 10:26 PM.
  • #2
    pisarski
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 740

    keep it lubed and it should last a long time they are a blast to shoot have fun with it

    Comment

    • #3
      bsg
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2009
      • 25954

      congrats.

      Comment

      • #4
        MalC
        Member
        • Oct 2012
        • 432

        Does anyone make an aftermarket slide stop similar to the one on those Norwegian/Nazi 1911s? To me that seems like the more natural place to put it.

        Like this:

        Comment

        • #5
          InGrAM
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2010
          • 3699

          ^ it is not more natural if you hold the 1911 as it should be held with your thumb riding on the top of the safety.

          Comment

          • #6
            redcliff
            Calguns Addict
            • Feb 2008
            • 5676

            Originally posted by MalC
            Does anyone make an aftermarket slide stop similar to the one on those Norwegian/Nazi 1911s? To me that seems like the more natural place to put it.

            Like this:
            People coming from other platforms often think that 1911's need extended slide stops because they don't know how to run a 1911 properly yet.

            Operating the standard slide stop with your support hand thumb after a magazine change if needed is faster and more efficient than any extended slide stop. In addition, extended slide stops can cause premature slide lock for a couple of reasons.

            And to answer your question more directly, no I've not seen a slide stop like that except on Norwegian 1911's.
            "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
            "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
            "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

            "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
            although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

            Comment

            • #7
              MalC
              Member
              • Oct 2012
              • 432

              Originally posted by redcliff
              People coming from other platforms often think that 1911's need extended slide stops because they don't know how to run a 1911 properly yet.

              Operating the standard slide stop with your support hand thumb after a magazine change if needed is faster and more efficient than any extended slide stop. In addition, extended slide stops can cause premature slide lock for a couple of reasons.

              And to answer your question more directly, no I've not seen a slide stop like that except on Norwegian 1911's.
              Ahhh I see what you're saying, that's much more comfortable. Thanks

              Comment

              • #8
                ChaneRZ
                Banned
                • Aug 2011
                • 2041

                congrats!

                Comment

                • #9
                  Tubbie
                  Member
                  • Dec 2010
                  • 227

                  Congrats on your new baby. Happy shooting!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    D_ninja
                    Member
                    • Nov 2012
                    • 283

                    Congrats! I love my Rock too.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Silverbullett
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • 654

                      Congrats!!! I'm picking my first RIA 1911 on monday. I can't wait.
                      www.shop42A.com

                      http://www.gofundme.com/helppalomalive


                      Zombie killin at it's finest!!!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        shalang
                        Member
                        • Jul 2012
                        • 182

                        Congratulations! I picked up my RIA 1911 GI last week from Turners for $399 ($471 after DROS and Tax). If you don't mind me asking, how much was your tactical and where did you buy it? Reason I am asking is because I just bought several parts for my 1911, including beavertail, trigger and new hammer.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2012
                          • 1488

                          Congrats! A RIA tactical was my first 1911 too and I'm really glade I bought it. So far, I've never had ANY issues. I hope you enjoy yours!
                          FOR SALE:
                          A2 birdcage $5
                          WTT CCI small pistol primers for either large pistol, small rifle, or large rifle

                          "If you want to get something online that doesn't require a background check, get yourself a porn membership. That way, you can shoot off as many rounds as you like...that is...if your forty..."

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            MalC
                            Member
                            • Oct 2012
                            • 432

                            Originally posted by shalang
                            Congratulations! I picked up my RIA 1911 GI last week from Turners for $399 ($471 after DROS and Tax). If you don't mind me asking, how much was your tactical and where did you buy it? Reason I am asking is because I just bought several parts for my 1911, including beavertail, trigger and new hammer.
                            $399 for a GI at a LGS is a great price, I wish we had Turners up here. Wonder what they charge for the Tactical?

                            I got mine from http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/ for $489 ($550 OTD), he is local to me so I didn't have to pay for shipping or an extra FFL transfer fee. It was the best deal I could find in Sac by far, one place I called wanted $599 for one!!!

                            I love this trigger, when I dry fire the sights don't move AT ALL (and I know my trigger control isn't that good lol). Congrats on your GI, how much did you spend on the parts?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              cebuvfr
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 861

                              Congrats!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1