Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

S&W 357 Mag as first gun?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Snoopy47
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 3893

    S&W 357 Mag as first gun?

    Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.
  • #2
    huckberry668
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 1502

    I vote yes but I'm partial to revolvers, at least they won't have the 'limp wrist' syndrome to worry about like Glock guys do.

    S&W revolvers are always a good choice. Years ago folks used to argue over 'auto vs revolver' for HD. Personally I think revolver is a good choice for HD and all the points you listed are still valid. BUT, training is a must for whatever kind of handgun they choose. Don't think training and practice isn't necessary because it's easier to operate.
    Last edited by huckberry668; 11-21-2012, 9:44 PM.
    GCC
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    Don't count your hits and congratulate yourself, count your misses and know why.

    Comment

    • #3
      geedavell
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2011
      • 1820

      I would buy 38 personal defense rounds also. 357 will go through walls and possible hit an unintended target

      Comment

      • #4
        pyromensch
        Calguns Addict
        • Mar 2010
        • 6881

        good choice, depending on which one. you don't want a compact snubbie, that is difficult to shoot, and a pain, to practice with. and you don't want an "N" frame, that is too large for smaller hands, and heavier.
        i would think that a M19/66, w/4" bbl would be an optimum. you could get the 586/686, but it is a little heavier.

        BTW, where are you located?
        river city gun exchange, in sacto, has "rossi", (agency trade in's), in 357 mag, for $289.

        not a S&W, but patterned after it, and seems to fit the bill.
        That may be a CG first!



        Spyder

        "You guys need to take more drugs. Then you can TASTE the sound, and HEAR the light!"

        Comment

        • #5
          Snoopy47
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 3893

          Im in central CA. He'll probably get the gun through Markley's in Watsonville, and they have a large rent inventory.

          Yes, yes, practice, practice. I'm not the one to tell that too. I just bought myself another Les Baer in September and have over 1500 rounds through it.
          Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.

          Comment

          • #6
            nrgcruizer
            Member
            • Dec 2007
            • 423

            It's a good choice for a first. But then the addiction starts to kick in.

            Comment

            • #7
              ewarmour
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2008
              • 904

              Originally posted by nrgcruizer
              It's a good choice for a first. But then the addiction starts to kick in.
              Yep.
              NRA Endowment Member | NRA-ILA | Madison Society | Calguns Foundation

              Comment

              • #8
                Roland Deschain
                CGSSA Leader
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Aug 2012
                • 5756

                I think a .357 revolver is the best choice for a first weapon purchase, especially for home defense. My first was a Ruger GP-100 4" and I love the thing. Bought it less than a year ago and now I need a larger safe . Hard not to get addicted.
                sigpic

                NRA life member, CRPA member and, SAF life member -- Holsters & High Heels (Facebook - YouTube)



                (Matthew 16:26)

                Comment

                • #9
                  anothergunnut
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 1819

                  I have a theory that if you have to ask what kind of gun to buy, the answer is always a medium frame, 4 or 6 inch, 38/357 mag revolver. People who are into guns and are willing to learn about them will be able to evaluate the different options and make a (possibly) different choice.

                  It also happens that a medium frame, 4 or 6 inch 357 mag is a great gun for the range. 38s are reasonably priced and 357 mags are readily available and a blast (pun intended) to shoot. A Smith and Wesson will cost more than others but you will get that great trigger.
                  Check back later for a witty comment.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    not-fishing
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 2270

                    Get a 6", my son and I shoot both in competition but I've found teaching others to shoot with a 6" works better, less recoil and longer sight radius.

                    It's better if they learn to thumb cock the hammer so the trigger works on singe action for their initial shooting. Many beginners don't like the long trigger pull.
                    Spreading the WORD according to COLT. and Smith, Wesson, Ruger, HK, Sig, High Standard, Browning

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      jeffrice6
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 5173

                      Originally posted by pyromensch
                      river city gun exchange, in sacto, has "rossi", (agency trade in's), in 357 mag, for $289.
                      What agency was using Rossi's?
                      WTB: S&W 617 4" 10 shot Pre-Lock

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        beerman
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 5195

                        Originally posted by Roland Deschain
                        I think a .357 revolver is the best choice for a first weapon purchase, especially for home defense. My first was a Ruger GP-100 4" and I love the thing. Bought it less than a year ago and now I need a larger safe . Hard not to get addicted.
                        Good advice....my 1st was a colt trooper...still have one ( along with many brothers and sisters)

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Kurus214
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Mar 2012
                          • 478

                          Agree with what's been said here - a '686' type or Rossi or Ruger 4-6" barrel - see if they can rent a few different ones that are being considered to see what fits the hand of the smallest shooter.
                          The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen

                          sigpic
                          CGF/SAF/FPC Supporter

                          "There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            BamBam-31
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 5318

                            Yes, for all the reasons you mentioned. Most "buy one just in case" types are opposed to six-shooters. Fortunately, your friend is not conditioned yet to think he absolutely needs a semi-auto. Steer him towards a nice 4" Smith or Ruger, and when the bug bites, let him try the Baer.
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              scarville
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 2325

                              A 38/357 revolver is a very good choice for a home defense gun. My third handgun was a Ruger Security Six and served as my bedside gun for over 20 years . The first two (a 1911 and a Glock 17) have long since been sold off but the Ruger is still with me. While I think the S&W 686+ is still the best 357 designed so far, I still intend to add a GP-100 (3" I hope) to my armory. The SP-101 is also a good choice -- especially for folks with small hands -- and the ejector rod is just that little bit extra longer to positively eject cases even in the 2.25" bbl. Another possibility is a used K-frame S&W but most of then are in 38 spl.

                              That said (and if I am asked), I do recommend a 4" bbl for a first revolver. It strikes a balance between the better ballistic performance of the 6" and the "quickness" of a 3".

                              I also recommend you use a good quality 38 spl ammo for defense. The 357 is one of the most flexible handgun rounds ever designed but at close range SD, the 38 spl will serve as well and you might have some hearing left

                              Good luck and good shooting.
                              Politicians and criminals are moral twins separated only by legal fiction.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1