Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First pistol for my son

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • socal619
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2012
    • 52

    First pistol for my son

    I was thinking 22lr rifle but I'm leaning away from that idea just because his interests seem to lean towards the pistols at the range over the rifles unless its the .50 BMG (I live in Texas now and the range has a rental) he loves watching that cannon go off but then is more intrigued by my 9 mm I let him shoot and me and my desert eagle 44 he likes as well. Any decent quality compact size 22's? By living in Texas I don't go by the roster list but will need something legal to own in ca since ill be back next year. Any help would be great.
  • #2
    socal619
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2012
    • 52

    And btw he's 7...young yes but has a great understanding of firearm safety and range rules as well. He handles my 9 well just not so well accuracy wise and tends to limp wrist understandably so and once the ejected brass lumps him on the noggin he gets frustrated lol. 22 pistol would alleviate the brass to the head and better control of the firearm instead of just the general direction it needs to be pointed. And of course he wears huge safety glasses so rounds to the head only irritates him instead of hurts.

    Comment

    • #3
      XDRoX
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 4420

      The Walther p22 is a great little 22. Ruger is now basically making a copy of it. I forget the name of it. But I hear it has almost zero problems. Walthers are known to have some cycling problems, but mine has been great.

      A 7yr old would probably kill to have either. Make him feel like James Bond
      Chris
      <----Rimfire Addict


      Originally posted by Oceanbob
      Get a DILLON...

      Comment

      • #4
        snypr
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 1142

        look into a Draco.... or a S&W 500....both are great starter pistol...

        get him a little buckmark and never look back......

        get him properly fitted safety gear, it will make all the difference...
        Last edited by snypr; 10-18-2012, 4:45 PM.
        Originally posted by Lone_Gunman
        American stormed the beaches of Normandy, not Europeans. Americans invented the airplane, personal computer, telephone, radio, TV, GPS, the DVR, automatic transmission, laser, and f'ing bubble gum. EUROPEANS DIDN"T. So until you asshats start providing the world with more innovation than Americans do how about you STFU about us?

        Comment

        • #5
          snypr
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2006
          • 1142

          Originally posted by XDRoX
          The Walther p22 is a great little 22. Ruger is now basically making a copy of it. I forget the name of it. But I hear it has almost zero problems. Walthers are known to have some cycling problems, but mine has been great.

          A 7yr old would probably kill to have either. Make him feel like James Bond
          Its an SR22P, ive got one, just havent shot it yet, so I cant comment, but I heard it eats any ammo....



          Last edited by snypr; 10-18-2012, 4:46 PM.
          Originally posted by Lone_Gunman
          American stormed the beaches of Normandy, not Europeans. Americans invented the airplane, personal computer, telephone, radio, TV, GPS, the DVR, automatic transmission, laser, and f'ing bubble gum. EUROPEANS DIDN"T. So until you asshats start providing the world with more innovation than Americans do how about you STFU about us?

          Comment

          • #6
            willerfortheworld
            Banned
            • Aug 2012
            • 308

            Ruger mkIII in 22 would fit the bill, or the more tactical looking Walter p22... see what he likes the look of.

            Comment

            • #7
              Mossy Man
              Calguns Addict
              • Jun 2011
              • 7641

              if you are a legal Texas resident now, and move to CA as a legal CA resident, then you can bypass the roster.

              If I'm not mistaken, that is.

              Comment

              • #8
                Press Check
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2011
                • 4879

                Mark III, 22/45. A brick of ammunition would keep him shooting and training for hours.

                Comment

                • #9
                  socal619
                  Junior Member
                  • Oct 2012
                  • 52

                  Originally posted by Mossy Man
                  if you are a legal Texas resident now, and move to CA as a legal CA resident, then you can bypass the roster.

                  If I'm not mistaken, that is.
                  That's correct...that's how I got my xdm 45..and it takes xd mags in 45 only so 10 rounders are easy to get later. But must own the guns in another state and bring them to Cali in full legal formation. Ar's and such need the bb and 10 rounders etc but yep can bring in just about anything but flat out outlawed calibers or rifles by name like most colt ar lowers (i think) and the .50 bmg rifles and the judge unfortunately.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    socal619
                    Junior Member
                    • Oct 2012
                    • 52

                    Originally posted by snypr
                    Its an SR22P, ive got one, just havent shot it yet, so I cant comment, but I heard it eats any ammo....



                    Is the sr22 small? He's a big kid but not like full size 1911 or anything otherwise I would get myself one with a 22 conversion lol. I like the idea of the Ruger. He hold my p95 ok and I'm lookin into getting a sr40 maybe so they would match.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Gothboy
                      Member
                      • Jul 2012
                      • 381

                      I have two reccomendations. My favorite 22 is my buckmark. It shoots exactly where you point it, and the heavier barrel gives it practically zero recoil. Reasonable priced too.

                      Another thing to consider is the 1911-22 It's a replica 1911 miniaturized and shoots 22. I havent shot one, but it has the look of a "big boy gun" since its based on the 1911. A little more pricy, but something to consider.
                      Every facet, every department of your mind is to be programmed by you.
                      And unless you assume your rightful responsibility and begin to program your own mind, the world will program it for you.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        socal619
                        Junior Member
                        • Oct 2012
                        • 52

                        Damn that sr22 is 400 bucks! That's more then I paid for my p95 lol!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          socal619
                          Junior Member
                          • Oct 2012
                          • 52

                          Although since I would use it for practice myself the cost is justified more. If I got a crickett rifle etc that does nothin for me as well. Hmmmmmm

                          Whatcha guys think of the Sig Mosquito? I saw one at a lgs the other day at 330 but he didn't hold it so size wise I don't remember. Any sub compact versions out there?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            cwin
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 1438

                            I recommend a Ruger SR22. Small, reliable, easy to shoot and maintain.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              socal619
                              Junior Member
                              • Oct 2012
                              • 52

                              Need reliability so we can easily determine if its him or the pistol to work on whatever it is that's causing the jam

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1