Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

wheel gun! help me choose...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mif_slim
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Apr 2008
    • 10089

    wheel gun! help me choose...

    Okay, I'm stepping away from semi and going into wheel gun to expand my firearm knowledge and skills.

    There are two things I want to do with revolvers. First is to learn how to operate it correctly and use it in self defense courses. Second is USPSA. I don't have anything picked out nor know anything about them so any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks ahead of time.
    Originally posted by Gottmituns
    It's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.
  • #2
    G-forceJunkie
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2010
    • 6477

    686 with a 4" barrel.

    Comment

    • #3
      CK_32
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Sep 2010
      • 14369

      GP100
      For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

      What's Your Caliber??


      My Youtube channel

      Comment

      • #4
        shooting4life
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2009
        • 5770

        For gun games like uspsa the 625 is the only choice

        Comment

        • #5
          gorenut
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2010
          • 3072

          If you're going to compete, its best to try going the basic production route. Which would limit you to 4" barrel or shorter and 6 shots.

          Most "successful" for production competition would be S&W 625 shooting 45 ACP. The shorter and stouter brass helps in faster reloads which is essentially the name of the game with revolvers.

          If you want a 357mag so you can shoot 38sp also, my recommendations would be:
          Ruger GP 100 in 4"
          S&W 686 4" 6 shooter (rather than the 7 shooter model)
          S&W 686 SSR - this one is part of the S&W's PRO series and its essentially decked out to perfectly fit in the production class criteria.

          Moonclips are the standard but if you prefer speedloaders, I would highly suggest Safariland ones over twist types like HKS.

          Comment

          • #6
            Virus55
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2012
            • 1697

            Go with some type of smith...i have a model 19-4 .357
            Active Law Enforcement
            Certified Glock Armorer
            Hunter & Fisherman
            God Bless The USA
            Lets Go Brandon!!!

            Comment

            • #7
              TKM
              Onward through the fog!
              CGN Contributor
              • Jul 2002
              • 10657

              625s and 610s.

              A quick video that you've already seen.



              And hundreds of moonclips.

              http://www.ranchproducts.com/ They are old school and you actually have to spit on a stamp and send a check but you won't find a better deal.

              Fastest reload around and no more lost brass. Good times.
              Last edited by TKM; 10-08-2012, 10:07 PM.
              It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

              Comment

              • #8
                Tanner68
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 2147

                Comment

                • #9
                  big fancy
                  Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 144

                  Originally posted by G-forceJunkie
                  686 with a 4" barrel.
                  +1

                  i mean literally +1. the 686+

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    far from tactical
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 1381

                    S&w 500

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      mif_slim
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 10089

                      THanks a bunch guys!

                      So by any chance would revolvers have 40sw? haha, Im currently shooting 40sw for USPSA and wanted to see if I can just bring 1 type of ammo instead of 2...just wishful thinking..
                      Originally posted by Gottmituns
                      It's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        paul0660
                        In Memoriam
                        • Jul 2007
                        • 15669

                        Originally posted by mif_slim
                        THanks a bunch guys!

                        So by any chance would revolvers have 40sw? haha, Im currently shooting 40sw for USPSA and wanted to see if I can just bring 1 type of ammo instead of 2...just wishful thinking..
                        Charter arms and Taurus make .40 revolvers, but you can't get them here.

                        And all the previous posters would act like they smelled something bad if you got one.

                        Some 4 inch in .38/.357 is the best choice for what you want. .45 ACP is super sexy and hard to find. .44 spl/ mag is great too. Choose your speedloaders carefully, I like Safariland. There are lots of Jerry Miculek vids on revolvers, and all are good. Reloading should be with left hand holding and opening gun, right hand with speedloader. If your left thumb can fit on top of right thumb when shooting, do it. (assuming RH of course).
                        Last edited by paul0660; 10-09-2012, 10:47 AM.
                        *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Marthor
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2011
                          • 1644

                          If you want it for self-defense, then Ruger LCR 357.
                          Very concealable. The 357 version of the LCR is better because it has a steel frame.

                          The major advantage of a wheel gun for self defense is best reliability. No failure to feed.
                          National Rifle Association (NRA) Life Patriot Endowment Member
                          Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) Member
                          Concealed Handgun License
                          Originally posted by Marthor
                          You have been scammed bigly. Epic hype. Time to snap out. YW

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Grumpyoldretiredcop
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Sep 2008
                            • 6437

                            Originally posted by mif_slim
                            So by any chance would revolvers have 40sw? haha, Im currently shooting 40sw for USPSA and wanted to see if I can just bring 1 type of ammo instead of 2...just wishful thinking..
                            You can if you find a S&W 610, it will fire .40 S&W as the moon clips will provide the necessary headspacing. Just don't try to load .40 into a 610 without moonclips as the rounds may be driven into the charge holes by the firing pin, which won't be fun.

                            The down side is that they are harder to find than the 625; I've been looking for one for some time.
                            I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              snubbyfan
                              Member
                              • Aug 2012
                              • 274

                              Personally, I'd get the 4" S&W 686 and modify it to my liking. I'm familiar with S&W revolvers and have done trigger job/spring replacements on many. A custom holster and double speedloader pouch and you're ready to go.
                              When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1