Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Anybody Know About A Luger?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rangem4
    Member
    • Jun 2012
    • 407

    Anybody Know About A Luger?

    I have always liked the lines and style of the WW2 German Luger.
    Are they accurate, dependable?
    What issues do they have.
    Have you ever fired one?
    What do you look for if you were going to buy one?
    I know many of them were made by slave labor, I bet the quality suffered during those years.
    Thanks
    sigpicA well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
  • #2
    littlejake
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2008
    • 2168

    I had one made in 1939 by Mauser at Obendorf. They are striker fired. The toggle action is unique. They are designated as the P08. Originally designed for the 7.65 Luger cartridge; rather quickly adopted to the 9mm Parabellum. Yes, I have fired mine.

    Nearly every part is stamped with the last two digits of the SN -- you look for those numbers to match. Field strip is easy. One caution -- you must be absolutely sure the gun is clear as the receiver, barrel, toggle assembly can be fired without the frame. The sear bar is exposed when the frame is removed; and more than one person has found out the hard way to clear the chamber.
    Life Member NRA and 2A Foundation.
    My posts are my own opinions and do not reflect those of any organization I am a member of.
    Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice; if you need legal advice, see a lawyer.

    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt (1759-1806)

    Comment

    • #3
      XDRoX
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 4420

      I have one. Accurate yes, and reliable if fed 124gr or heavier rounds.
      The original 9mm bullets were just about 124gr.

      You hear about reliability problems on the net quite often, but they are usually do to 115gr bullets.

      If you want one for collectors value make sure all the numbers match and it's in good condition. It can get pricey very fast. If you just want a shooter you'll be able to find mix matched serial numbers for decent prices, especially at gun shows.
      Chris
      <----Rimfire Addict


      Originally posted by Oceanbob
      Get a DILLON...

      Comment

      • #4
        Root66
        Member
        • Feb 2012
        • 354

        I've owned a half-dozen Lugers over the years and had some reliability problems; most related to ammo, not the grain but the overall length.

        A well known Luger builder once told me than any ammo over 1.169" in overall length will most likely cause feeding problems and he was right.
        There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on politicians. ~ Will Rogers

        Comment

        • #5
          XDRoX
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 4420

          Originally posted by Root66
          I've owned a half-dozen Lugers over the years and had some reliability problems; most related to ammo, not the grain but the overall length.

          A well known Luger builder once told me than any ammo over 1.169" in overall length will most likely cause feeding problems and he was right.
          Ya, 1.169" is pretty long. But WWB comes in right about that or a little longer sometimes.

          I load all my 9mm to 1.140". This functions fine in all 8 of my 9mm's.
          Chris
          <----Rimfire Addict


          Originally posted by Oceanbob
          Get a DILLON...

          Comment

          • #6
            tboyer
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2006
            • 632

            Originally posted by Root66
            I've owned a half-dozen Lugers over the years and had some reliability problems; most related to ammo, not the grain but the overall length.

            A well known Luger builder once told me than any ammo over 1.169" in overall length will most likely cause feeding problems and he was right.
            Also the Luger seems to need a strong magazine spring.
            Originally posted by swat
            Too bad they caved in to the homosexual lobby and their agenda of destroying the morals of our society. Just like some of the "pink pistols" folks are trying to do to CalGuns!
            Originally posted by The Shadow
            Substituting the word "love" for getting sexual pleasure from someone of the same sex, is simply dishonest.

            Comment

            • #7
              hyeg35
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 522

              Where can I find one?

              Comment

              • #8
                goofcat
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2011
                • 565

                Originally posted by hyeg35
                Where can I find one?
                Martin B. in Culver City always seem to have a few in their display cases.
                sigpic#415

                Comment

                • #9
                  hyeg35
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • 522

                  Thanks bud, i'll check them out! Hears they have an excellent selection and customer service is top notch.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    saki302
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 7191

                    Accurate? Yes, very- but the triggers tend to be a bit heavy and hard to work with (when in good condition).
                    Dependable? YEs, at leas tthe WW2 models are when kept clean. Mine cycles well with even 115gr ammo- anything FMJ profile is gobbled up nicely. Haven't tried JHP, and don't have any desire to.

                    I don't believe many (if any at all) Lugers were done by slave labor. They didn't make them at the end of the war- these guns are NOT production line guns. It took over 100 operations BY HAND to finish a Luger. Which is also why a numbers matching gun is worth much more, and tends to shoot much better than mixmasters.

                    Make sure you get a numbers matching unit (if not, some mixmasters do work fine, but won't be as accurate- I wouldn't pay more than $5-600 for a mixer).

                    Matching mag and holster also adds to value. Make sure you get an original mag too- if you must use aftermarket, stick to Mec-Gar.

                    -Dave

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      zinfull
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 2733

                      The sights are more rifle than pistol and they are hard to see as you get old. I have a few and some work with out problems and the others you have to adjust parts to work properly. $600 will get you a shooter pistol but a nice shooter will be close to $800. This would be a matching with poor finish. The WWII pistol are tha most wanted and draw a higher price. Also one mismatch part number in a collector grade is not close to matching and will drop the value to shooter grade, example $1300 to $800.

                      If you go to collecting Lugers buy the books and take your time. It is a fun hobby.

                      Jerry

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        tankerman
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 24240

                        I sold mine about 5 years ago and have been kicking myself ever since.
                        It was one of, if not the most accurate pistols I've ever owned, I really enjoyed that gun.


                        I put orange nail polish on the front sight, but it was still difficult to see in poorly lit indoor ranges.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          BradleyAbrams
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • 3392

                          I had a numbers-matching 1938 model back in 1979. Best ergonomics I have ever experienced on a handgun,.

                          I sold it because it kept having feeding problems and at the time it was my one and only gun.

                          I ended up buying a MAC-11 and a PPK/s

                          I do regret selling that Luger.


                          -
                          The "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" was not created by the 2nd Amendment; it was merely an acknowledgement of an existing, un-Alienable Right

                          UN-ALIENABLE - Defined by Webster as: incapable of being alienated, surrendered, or transferred .


                          Joseph Johnston - 4/14

                          -

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1