Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New Springfield 1911's. Who's had problems?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Farrier-1
    Banned
    • Mar 2009
    • 246

    New Springfield 1911's. Who's had problems?

    I had to send my 1911 back to Springfield before I even got to shoot it. The barrel link was poorly fit and stuck in place. It was usable but difficult to assemble because of it and the recoil guide also looked like it had been chewed on. Either SA did a poor job of assembly or Impact Guns sold me a used gun at a new price. No way to tell for sure.

    Last night I get a call from an acquaintance, who also recently bought a new Springfield 1911. Took it out yesterday and after a few rounds, the front sight removed itself from from the slide.

    He calls SA th is morning and received the same great response from them as I did. I have no doubt that SA's customer service is awesome and that our arms will be fixed but I can't help but to wonder If their assembly line is is lacking some pride.
  • #2
    SDRider858
    Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 492

    Which model? My SA 1911 loaded hasnt had any issues except for a few FTF which i attribute to mags. Mine was made in Brazil, and not one of the US marked NM models.
    Last edited by SDRider858; 08-27-2012, 12:42 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      littlejake
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2008
      • 2168

      Not likely a dealer would try to sell a used gun as new since the DROS software requires input of "new" or "used." That would be a crime to misrepresent the gun on the DROS document.

      In my opinion, what's missing are the inspection points in the manufacturing process. Inspection costs money and eats into profit.

      In many consumer products the business model is to let the consumer be the final inspector. If it doesn't work, send it back and we'll fix it is cheaper than putting in multiple inspection processes for QC.
      Life Member NRA and 2A Foundation.
      My posts are my own opinions and do not reflect those of any organization I am a member of.
      Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice; if you need legal advice, see a lawyer.

      "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
      William Pitt (1759-1806)

      Comment

      • #4
        Farrier-1
        Banned
        • Mar 2009
        • 246

        Originally posted by littlejake
        In many consumer products the business model is to let the consumer be the final inspector. If it doesn't work, send it back and we'll fix it is cheaper than putting in multiple inspection processes for QC.
        I know this is correct but is so wrong at the same time.

        Comment

        • #5
          cindynles
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 2806

          I bought a parkerized loaded a little over a year ago. I had a few nose dives during the initial break in period. Once I got through the break in and found mags that it liked, mine has been very reliable. I'm at approximately 7,000 rounds and the only thing I have had to do is replace the recoil spring (just because it had compressed quite a bit).

          I shoot it in USPSA single stack with no problems. Mine is also a Brazil model made in 2011 (date stamped on the frame).

          I have noticed the finish wearing more than I expected. Its almost gone under the trigger guard and on the back of the frame by the mainspring housing. But that is probably because of my sweaty hands and how much I shoot it.
          Last edited by cindynles; 08-27-2012, 1:58 PM.
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin,1759

          Comment

          • #6
            kpblade
            Member
            • Mar 2006
            • 193

            I had purchased a TRP with Black ArmoryKote. It shot well, but the disconnector was hanging up the slide slightly. When I took it down for cleaning, on inspection of the slide release, the back side of it (the surface against the slide) was 1/2 unfinished bare metal in a diagonal pattern. They were prompt in turning it around. The disconnector was now smooth, they also smoothed out some burrs on the barrel, but it looks like they just touched up the release with cold blue, you can still see the diagonal transition line. I know it may be asking much for them to completely re-finish the release, or fit a new one that was properly coated, but it is still irksome that I paid for firearm that did not have a complete factory coating

            Comment

            • #7
              Cuda440
              CGN Contributor
              • Sep 2010
              • 3289

              This guy: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=456053

              And this guy: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=598400

              And this guy: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=130471

              I'm sure there's more. No manufacturer is perfect, but the best warranty is the one you never need IMO.
              Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

              Thomas Jefferson

              Comment

              • #8
                dfletcher
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Dec 2006
                • 14810

                Originally posted by Farrier-1
                I had to send my 1911 back to Springfield before I even got to shoot it. The barrel link was poorly fit and stuck in place. It was usable but difficult to assemble because of it and the recoil guide also looked like it had been chewed on. Either SA did a poor job of assembly or Impact Guns sold me a used gun at a new price. No way to tell for sure.

                Last night I get a call from an acquaintance, who also recently bought a new Springfield 1911. Took it out yesterday and after a few rounds, the front sight removed itself from from the slide.

                He calls SA th is morning and received the same great response from them as I did. I have no doubt that SA's customer service is awesome and that our arms will be fixed but I can't help but to wonder If their assembly line is is lacking some pride.
                I've always thought they should put the head of the repair department in charge of QC.

                I've bought a few guns from SA, most have had to be sent back for correction. A 3" 1911 had an unfinished extractor that wouldn't pull out a single round from the start. There's no way the gun was properly checked. Any idea how ticked off a person gets when they load up their range bag, drive 30 miles only to have the darn thing not work from the start? I do ....

                SA has always corrected the issue free of charge. But it just gets tiring after a while. I look elsewhere for now.
                GOA Member & SAF Life Member

                Comment

                • #9
                  Press Check
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 4879

                  Originally posted by Cuda440
                  No manufacturer is perfect, but the best warranty is the one you never need IMO.
                  In a perfect world, sure, but since that's not the case, it's nice to deal with a manufacturer that has the best warranty in the business.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ChaneRZ
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2011
                    • 2041

                    My local LGS lets me inspect the firearm before I purchase it. I field strip it and function check before buying. Can't go wrong with SA customer's service. They are great!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Press Check
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2011
                      • 4879

                      Originally posted by dfletcher
                      I've always thought they should put the head of the repair department in charge of QC.
                      There's no repair department. Where the pistols go for repair is the Custom Shop, and the Director is Dave Williams. It would take an entire QC department as opposed to a single person to manage the volume of 1911 pistols that Springfield manufacturers.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Cypriss32
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jul 2004
                        • 5987

                        I had issues with one of mine. Its not wise to post it online the tin hat brigade will get you. They have a HUGE following on here. Mine had some major issues. I tend not to worry, its water under the bridge and I sold it awhile back. Bought a HK and COLT and never looked back.
                        "Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."
                        -- Thomas Paine


                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1