Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

More 1911 Q's

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • KDTS
    Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 312

    More 1911 Q's

    So, I've just installed a Wilson Combat ultralight trigger, deluxe sear and sear spring, and things are tightening up beautifully. I already like the trigger feel so much more. Alright, on to the questions:

    1. I notice that my thumb safety has a lot of wiggle to it. Is there a way to tighten that up? Do I need a new detent pin/spring, or new thumb safety, or both? Or something else?

    2. More of an opinion. I'm considering bead blasting the frame because I think the bead blasted look with VZs can be pretty sexy. Would it look good or just weird if I bead blasted the frame and left the slide polished? Matte frame with polished slide good/bad?

    Thanks
  • #2
    jeffrice6
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2006
    • 5173

    For the thumb safety you can:

    Drill & deepen the detent on the safety ~ Cheap, easy & works good.

    OR

    Get an SVI Optifit safety. http://sviguns.com/1101.php?indx=19 Requires fitting but works great!
    WTB: S&W 617 4" 10 shot Pre-Lock

    Comment

    • #3
      KDTS
      Member
      • Mar 2012
      • 312

      Hm, may try drilling the detent slightly, and although I'm willing to do some custom fitting, I may just use a professional gunsmith to fit the thumb safety.

      As far as the mismatched slide/frame goes, I may just bead blast both and then re polish if I don't like the look.

      Comment

      • #4
        cindynles
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 2806

        You probably need a new thumb safety. The thumb safety is fitted to the sear. Since you changed the sear the orginal thumb safety is not fitted properly to the new sear (which is probably why you now have play in the safety).

        You should function check your new set up and make sure that your thumb safety is still functional, it may not be.
        Last edited by cindynles; 07-11-2012, 7:18 PM.
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin,1759

        Comment

        • #5
          KDTS
          Member
          • Mar 2012
          • 312

          It's still functional, and there was the same amount of play before I changed the sear. May just have been warn down, it appears to be pretty used.

          Another thing, I notice I get a lot of powder build up right at the feed ramp. Is this normal or is there a problem? Again, it's been like that, but I got the gun used so I'm not totally aware of some of the problems it may have.

          Comment

          • #6
            KDTS
            Member
            • Mar 2012
            • 312

            On my phone (no edit button?), making a new thread about powder build up.

            Comment

            • #7
              Snoopy47
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2010
              • 3899

              I might reconsider bead blasting the rails on the frame and slide
              Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.

              Comment

              • #8
                KDTS
                Member
                • Mar 2012
                • 312

                I was planning on (attempting) to avoid the rails and all internal areas. I may scrap the idea entirely, but I'm still considering touching up a few bits.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1