Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Thoughts on 9mm 1911?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • odslim
    Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 283

    Thoughts on 9mm 1911?

    Looking into getting a 9mm, so I was thinking in a 1911 platform. Is there such a firearm that's entry level or really I should ask if there's one that's affordable and won't put a big hole in the wallet? What manufactures make such a gun that's CA compliant and can be readily available in socal or even at a online dealer that will ship to CA? I'd ask about purchasing extra mags as well since that's one of the factors to consider on choosing a gun, but recently after buying extra mags for my .22 rifle and my m&p .45, prices on mags are getting up their, so mainly I'm not too concerned with mag prices only other thing is availability. If all else fails, I'll probably end up with a m&p 9mm to brother up with my .45

    Opinions and suggestion is greatly appreciated.
  • #2
    Press Check
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 4879

    Hard to address that question without knowing what you consider affordable. Springfield and Kimber are the more popular choices in 9mm. Following tax and DROS, you can generally expect to pay just north or south of $1,000, excluding any applicable fees associated with having the pistol transferred from another vendor.

    Comment

    • #3
      KDTS
      Member
      • Mar 2012
      • 312

      Pretty sure there's a Rock Island Armory 9mm 1911 on the cheap end. May be worth looking into, but I've never shot one.

      Comment

      • #4
        Ripon83
        Calguns Addict
        • Jan 2011
        • 6686

        The RIA is advertised at about $425ish online. It is not a CA rostered gun though and few 9mm 1911's are. So you need a SSE or be LE I guess. It will likely run you close to $575 or so for the RIA if you can find a seller and FFL to help with it.

        Kimber ( I have ) and springfield both make rostered 1911 9mms but are about $1k in price range I believe.

        There is a series 70 Colt 9mm full size in he market place for $2k.
        Remember the Mighty Midgets



        Comment

        • #5
          odslim
          Member
          • Feb 2012
          • 283

          Thanks guys, after researching more into it last night, RIA would seem to be the contender in my price range especially after browsing the 1911 price range. Im just wondering now..How does RIA come out with a $400 1911 compared to others that are priced in the $800+...

          Comment

          • #6
            Press Check
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2011
            • 4879

            IMO, after transfer fee, interstate tax, and the cost to rent a barrel for 10 days, the RIA is not worth that much.

            Comment

            • #7
              jpm804
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2012
              • 1609

              I have RIA 1911 9mm and love it for the price. Let me try out the 1911 platform, but shoot the cheaper 9mm.

              Like most said you will have to SSE it and after everything is said and done, it will probably be close to ~$600. While exactly not ~$400 cheap, the alternatives are going to cost at least $300 more like the SA 1911 loaded or Kimber 9mm which are on roster.

              Comment

              • #8
                InGrAM
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2010
                • 3699

                Go 9mm RIA tactical. I have never had a problem with my 38super/9mm conversion even after "home smithing"/butchering it.

                People swear by their RIA's, myself included.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Ripon83
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 6686

                  The 45 ACP I bought was an RIA tactical and after a year I sold it and got all my money back. I was kind of jazzed and I used that to buy the Kimber 1911 9mm I enjoy now. If I could easily get the RIA tactical (not GI) in 9mm I probably would do it - right now. Its not that I don't like the Kimber its just I walk in some places where the chances of it getting messed up are higher then I'd like for an expensive gun. I never had any issue with my RIA45 so I have faith in the 9mm. I know many here bought the legal 38 super RIA and then a 9mm barrel for conversion but I'd just spend the money on the SSE from a dealer willing.
                  Remember the Mighty Midgets



                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Ripon83
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jan 2011
                    • 6686



                    This particular dealer isn't CA friendly, its where I bought my on roster 45 but I don't know if they'd help out with a SSE or not - I haven't called to ask - they show out of stock right now which is not unusual at all for the 9mm, but I've seen it in stock quite often.
                    Remember the Mighty Midgets



                    Comment

                    • #11
                      LB49er
                      Junior Member
                      • May 2012
                      • 50

                      Colt 38 super... cant go wrong there. If you're looking for entry level that's about as good as it's gonna ge imo...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        cwin
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 1438

                        I'm pretty happy with my 9mm Springfield. So much cheaper for me to shoot than my .45 1911s.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Ripon83
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Jan 2011
                          • 6686

                          Pricey

                          Not on the roster is it? The last time I'd seem them listed in the market place they seemed well over a grand? I'd love a Colt but a basic model (GI) for more than 1k seems over the top for the name - to me. I wish they'd make a nice XSE or Gold Cup in 9mm and roster it - I'd wait - be on a list - pay the price....

                          is the Colt 38 super easy to convert to 9mm like the RIA is?


                          Originally posted by LB49er
                          Colt 38 super... cant go wrong there. If you're looking for entry level that's about as good as it's gonna ge imo...
                          Remember the Mighty Midgets



                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Lexustech48
                            Member
                            • May 2012
                            • 358

                            Why not look into a Glock G17 gen 3? Full frame size, and right at home in 9mm.
                            California Ex-pat, now in free America for good.

                            Dont Tread On Me

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              cal3gunner
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • 1629

                              ...
                              Last edited by cal3gunner; 09-10-2013, 8:27 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1