I'm looking to purchase one of first hand gun and needed some help and knowledge. I'm not going to ask a dumb question like what is the best gun because that is so vague and open ended. I generally know what I want and need some help narrowing it down and what is CA compliant. I wanted to get a Sig P229 either the stainless steel, equinox, or elite. I wanted the stainless steel but is it CA compliant. Also the reason I wanted the stainless steel is the look and also for the weight in reducing the recoil. My question is does the weight really help in the recoil? I'm looking to get a 9mm which brings me to my second question. Does the equinox come in p299 in 9mm. I asked at my gun store and they said it did. I thought they only came in .40 and .45. I did try out the equinox at the store in the p226 .40 but it felt real wide in the grip and in my hand due to the double stack. The .45 is a single stack 8 round mag which felt much more manageable. I would imagine if it did come in 9mm the grip would feel more to my liking. I did try the p229 elite enhanced in 9mm and that felt good grip size but I was told that this was the same grip size as the .40 equinox am I crazy or is not cuz the elite felt much smaller. I really do like the p229 elite enhanced and would be perfect if I could get it in stainless steel but it seems like the SS is not CA compliant...am I wrong on this?
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Sig Sauer CA Compliant and Recomendations
Collapse
X
-
Sig Sauer CA Compliant and Recomendations
1. Misc AR-15 Parts/Accessories: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...7#post11407927
2. Arc"teryx Leaf Gear: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=719522
3. Ammo: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4#post11408114
4. Trijicon Glock Night Sights: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...6#post11408176Tags: None -
Click this link here and those are all of the handguns that are currently CA Compliant. This list would apply to new guns purchased at a retail/local gun shop. If it isn't on the roster, than you might still be able to buy one from someone that is selling one locally via Private Party Transfer or, if you want one badly enough, get one via Single Shot Exemption.
I'm looking to purchase one of first hand gun and needed some help and knowledge. I'm not going to ask a dumb question like what is the best gun because that is so vague and open ended. I generally know what I want and need some help narrowing it down and what is CA compliant. I wanted to get a Sig P229 either the stainless steel, equinox, or elite. I wanted the stainless steel but is it CA compliant.No Also the reason I wanted the stainless steel is the look and also for the weight in reducing the recoil. My question is does the weight really help in the recoil? yes I'm looking to get a 9mm which brings me to my second question. Does the equinox come in p299 in 9mm.yes I asked at my gun store and they said it did. I thought they only came in .40 and .45. I did try out the equinox at the store in the p226 .40 but it felt real wide in the grip and in my hand due to the double stack.{b]it feels wide due to the wood grips[/b] The .45 is a single stack 8 round mag which felt much more manageable. I would imagine if it did come in 9mm the grip would feel more to my liking. I did try the p229 elite enhanced in 9mm and that felt good grip size but I was told that this was the same grip size as the .40 equinox am I crazy or is not cuz the elite felt much smaller. I really do like the p229 elite enhanced and would be perfect if I could get it in stainless steel but it seems like the SS is not CA compliant...am I wrong on this? the enhanced elite does not come in full stainless. If you want full stainless, then you'll want a Stainless Elite, which is not on Roster.Last edited by Paperchasin; 07-02-2012, 7:06 PM. -
If you want a Sig, get the P229 E2 (E29R-9-ESE). And don't look back.(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Copy and paste this bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.!!!
sigpicComment
-
Find a dealer that will transfer one to you via SSE. If you are in SoCal, we can do it.Comment
-
I was leaning towards the Enhanced Elite if I couldn't get the Stainless Steel Elite which seems to be the case. The Stainless Steel Elite is not CA compliant which sucks. I basically want the stainless steel elite with the E2 grips. Looks like Sig didn't want to pay for the stainless steel elite, I guess they figured the stainless wouldn't sell as much as the enhanced elite.
The only other one I'd look at is the equinox in P229 in 9mm. Can someone confirm the 9mm. I don't see it on their website but I keep being told it comes in 9mm. Is this a limited run? Where can I get one? Can my shop order one and if so is it CA compliant?
Thanks1. Misc AR-15 Parts/Accessories: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...7#post11407927
2. Arc"teryx Leaf Gear: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=719522
3. Ammo: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4#post11408114
4. Trijicon Glock Night Sights: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...6#post11408176Comment
-
Any of the Sig models you are interested in can be exempted by a willing and able shop for a nominal fee. If you really like a particular gun, there's no need to compromise. The single shot exemption sticky lists all dealers who are performing conversions. There's likely one close to where you are.WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19Comment
-
Paragraphs would help. A wall of text is hard to read.
Those are good guns.
That is an interesting question. The stainless steel P229 is not on the list of handguns certified for sale in California, however it is legal to buy, possess, and use in this state as long as it is done in the proper way.
In order to get one you either need to be exempt from the roster of guns (by becoming a cop) or you can get one single-shot exempted by a dealer. There are many dealers in the state that can do this, if you tell us your general location we can help you find one.
Some gun dealers won't do the single shot exemption, so they will just tell you that they are not California compliant so they can try to sell you a different model.
Recoil is actually a change in the momentum of a object (a physics thing).
If you fire a heavy gun, it will have less recoil then a lighter-weight gun which fires the exact same kind of ammunition.
The change in recoil will be proportional to the difference in mass of the guns. A gun that weighs twice as much will have half the recoil, again assuming both guns shoot the same kind of ammunition.
Of course, the heavy gun is harder to carry around because it weighs more, which is why cops don't usually carry around 40lb handguns even though they would have practically no recoil.
The P229 equinox only comes in .40. That .45 you tried was probably a P220, which is also a nice gun, but it is not a P229. The magazine well on a P229 is not long enough for a .45 to fit in it.I'm looking to get a 9mm which brings me to my second question. Does the equinox come in p299 in 9mm. I asked at my gun store and they said it did. I thought they only came in .40 and .45. I did try out the equinox at the store in the p226 .40 but it felt real wide in the grip and in my hand due to the double stack. The .45 is a single stack 8 round mag which felt much more manageable. I would imagine if it did come in 9mm the grip would feel more to my liking.
Sig does occasionally make P220s in 9mm, but they are quite rare so they are expensive collector pieces usually.
If you want something like the P220 in 9mm you can try either a P239 or a P225 (which is sometimes called a P6). These guns are easily findable in the state, but they have the downside of having a shorter barrel then the P229, which makes it harder to aim due to a shorter distance between the front and rear sight and also has more recoil due to less weight.
The P229s (stainless, or otherwise) all share identical geometries of the grip area on the frame as they all take the same magazines. The difference is on the grip panels that are screwed into the frame.I did try the p229 elite enhanced in 9mm and that felt good grip size but I was told that this was the same grip size as the .40 equinox am I crazy or is not cuz the elite felt much smaller. I really do like the p229 elite enhanced and would be perfect if I could get it in stainless steel but it seems like the SS is not CA compliant...am I wrong on this?
The grip on the Equinox model is fatter because it has thick, pretty looking, wood grips.
Wood grips on Sigs are great for presentation, but not-so-good for shooting, at least with my hands.
The Enhanced Elite comes with (most of the time anyways) the E2 grips, which are almost the slimmest grips available for the Sig platform. Only the $100 each Hogue G10's are slimmer.
The Enhanced Elite also has a protrusion under the hammer (beavertail) but that does not affect the grips at all.Comment
-
Never had a 229 stainless, but i have a 226 in stainless. It is substantially heavier than the standard 226. Ide compare it to a loaded steel 5" kimber. If trigger reset is a factor for you, get the elite/enhanced from the get go. Save you from having to ship it out to sig for upgrades.,and our leaders allow themselves to be spoon fed with foreign BS and have forgotten that the great majority of americans do not live in secluded gated comunities with private security 24/7 like they do, while the rest of us are subject to defending ourselves without Police escorts whenever we need it. they dont realize we are subject to different dangers than they are, and we must have and keep the right do defend ourselves!Comment
-
,and our leaders allow themselves to be spoon fed with foreign BS and have forgotten that the great majority of americans do not live in secluded gated comunities with private security 24/7 like they do, while the rest of us are subject to defending ourselves without Police escorts whenever we need it. they dont realize we are subject to different dangers than they are, and we must have and keep the right do defend ourselves!Comment
-
,and our leaders allow themselves to be spoon fed with foreign BS and have forgotten that the great majority of americans do not live in secluded gated comunities with private security 24/7 like they do, while the rest of us are subject to defending ourselves without Police escorts whenever we need it. they dont realize we are subject to different dangers than they are, and we must have and keep the right do defend ourselves!Comment
-
One thing to think of if you are getting a 229 is that if you get a .40 S&W you can convert it to shoot .357 Sig and 9mm. Opens up some options for you.
I've got a 229 and wish I went this route, but will never part with my first handgun!
And BTW, recoil with a 9mm is not that bad at all, there is some, but it's not uncomfortable.Comment
-
I have a 226 with E2 grips and a 229 with Hogue G-10s, and the E2 grip definitely feels slimmer to my hand. And it's cheaper!
Good point. But if you get the 9mm you can't go the other way.
OP: you may want to find a range that can rent you a 9mm and 40 to compare recoil, to see if you find the 40 really that much harder to deal with.Comment
-
EBR Works Is Awesome!
I wasn't in SoCal, and I made the trip to EBR Works for my RIA tactical
They are great people, and the transaction was flawless. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a firearm that needs a Single Shot Exemption (SSE).
sigpic
"I find it extremely improbable that the Framers understood the Second Amendment to protect little more than carrying a gun from the bedroom to the kitchen."Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,213
Posts: 25,145,533
Members: 358,387
Active Members: 5,513
Welcome to our newest member, LakeLife.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 24936 users online. 37 members and 24899 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.


Comment