Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 Detail Stripping

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Osprey
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 1410

    1911 Detail Stripping

    I've always wanted to detail strip my TRP. Why? Because I'm a dork and like taking stuff apart and putting it back together, and also because I think she's due for a very deep cleaning. Plus there are some aftermarket parts I'd like to instal.

    Any insights? Bad idea? Can this adversely affect accuracy? From what I've read detail stripping is fairly easy and low risk if you can read and follow directions well, am I mistaken? Any common pitfalls I should take care to avoid?
    Coastie. LEO.
    sigpic
    4006 TSW, 1950 Model 17-3, M&P Bodyguard .380 w/CT, Lombardi LAW-15. Next: S&W MP40
  • #2
    Knauga
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 1383

    Nothing wrong with detail stripping your 1911. *I* wouldn't be changing out parts on a TRP but that's me.

    I'm assuming the TRP has the ILS (Integral Locking System) that all Springers have, the only difference in detail stripping a Springer from other 1911's is the ILS. With the hammer down, use that key they gave you to lock the gun. The lock will act as the main spring retention pin, unless you are going to remove the mainspring and cup lock it because it is more difficult to put back together, not impossible, but more work involved. Just remember to unlock it once you put the main spring housing back into the gun and reinstall the pin.

    Good resource on detail stripping your 1911

    Comment

    • #3
      Res
      Senior Member
      • May 2006
      • 1633

      Here is an online animated video of a complete 1911 assembly

      Also go here if you want a hi-res download
      How to reassemble your M1911 (courtesy of Mexicoxican)
      --------------------------------------------
      Dusty Miller
      Sacramento

      Matthew Jackson Miller: 8-6-07 to 10-15-07
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        Aldemar
        On Everyone's Ignore List
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2007
        • 4707

        Try this site http://forums.1911forum.com

        Go to the Kimber forum and there is a sticky on assembly and disassembly at the top.
        AL
        CGF Contributor
        NRA Golden Eagle

        Being north of
        70 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1