Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What can cause a gritty slide feeling

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • alvin06
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 49

    What can cause a gritty slide feeling

    The slide on my new Springfield Range Officer has a grainy feel to it. When I first picked it up the slide was tightly fitted and felt like butter. I mean smooth. I took it home, cleaned and lubed, no problems. Then I shot a 100 rounds of Remington UMC which I noticed left more residue than any other ammo I had put through my other guns. I did the clean and lube routine, put it back together and now it feels like there is sand in trapped in the gun.
    Could it be the ammo? I've only used Federal and Winchester white before.
    Have any of you guys dealt with this?
  • #2
    The Cable Guy
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2008
    • 1277

    Maybe the gun is dirty. Just a wild guess. Don't quote me on it.

    www.theshootersblog.com

    Comment

    • #3
      zfields
      CGN Contributor
      • Aug 2010
      • 13658

      Sounds dirty. I doubt that it could have peened or anything else where it would have deformed the metal with that low of a round count.
      Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

      10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

      Comment

      • #4
        drkphibr
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 2462

        Was it always there or post range trip? Permanent gritty could be a slide fit issue or a burr(s)...

        Comment

        • #5
          alvin06
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2012
          • 49

          It happened after the range. I am meticulous when it comes to cleaning. I'm crazy with the q-tips in every little crack and corner. I've also never had a gun with a match barrel and fitting this precise. I'm just wondering if that is an issue with dirty ammo. I have a colt 1911 and never had this problem.

          Comment

          • #6
            nightwolf0215
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2012
            • 1728

            I dont know if this is related, but my frame and slide has the same problem I think. The slide feels smooth until it hits about a half way point and it feels like something is pushing on it and theres some friction between parts in the gun. Weird. Both my TRP and my LB Operator has that feel so it must be a mechanism kind of thing.
            I'd rather be at the range!

            Comment

            • #7
              robcoe
              Calguns Addict
              • Apr 2010
              • 8685

              My guess would be it feels gritty because of grit. Try going through the corners on the slide with a toothpick, a lot of times a qtip will miss the stuff that gets right into those 90 degree corners.
              Yes, I am an electrical engineer.
              No, I will not fix your computer.

              Comment

              • #8
                AeroEngi
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2010
                • 2887

                Originally posted by nightwolf0215
                I dont know if this is related, but my frame and slide has the same problem I think. The slide feels smooth until it hits about a half way point and it feels like something is pushing on it and theres some friction between parts in the gun. Weird. Both my TRP and my LB Operator has that feel so it must be a mechanism kind of thing.
                That's your slide sliding over the disconnector.

                Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

                Comment

                • #9
                  Brandon04GT
                  In Memoriam
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 3016

                  Originally posted by nightwolf0215
                  I dont know if this is related, but my frame and slide has the same problem I think. The slide feels smooth until it hits about a half way point and it feels like something is pushing on it and theres some friction between parts in the gun. Weird. Both my TRP and my LB Operator has that feel so it must be a mechanism kind of thing.
                  I would think that's when the firing pin stop reaches the hammer and goes past it with the resistance of the hammer spring?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    johnthomas
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 7001

                    Take everything out of the slide and fit it back on the gun and run it back and fourth. If it runs smooth put it together and try it. could be internals rubbing somewhere. Inspect every piece to see any wear.
                    I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Spdjunkie
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 1977

                      What are you using for oil: method; spots-where; manuf.type; etc.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        IPSICK
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • 4259

                        Toothpicks and Q-tips. Then a good amount if Slide-Glide. Gritty feeling should disappear after a good cleaning and again if you haven't discovered Slide Glide you'll thank me later.

                        Also, Rem UMC in 45ACP is the dirtiest ammo I've ever used and that includes some gun show reloads.
                        Last edited by IPSICK; 06-05-2012, 12:32 PM.
                        "When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

                        "Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          21SF
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 3491

                          Grit
                          SA TRP Half rail, Glock 21SF, Spikes St-15, Ruger Alaskan .44, Saiga 7.62, GSSF Member
                          Diablo Rod & Gun Club
                          Originally posted by keenkeen
                          "What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            alvin06
                            Junior Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • 49

                            What are you using for oil: method; spots-where; manuf.type; etc.
                            I start of with compressed air to blow everything out. Then I'll use Breakfree CLP with a brush and q-tip to do the cleaning. Then I'll hit it with the air again to dry everything up. Then I lube the rails with Ballistol and use Mobil1 grease where ever I see wear. I've done this routine with 2 Sigs and a Colt 1911 and never experienced a gritty feel.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              jonzer77
                              • Jul 2010
                              • 8525

                              Originally posted by alvin06
                              I start of with compressed air to blow everything out. Then I'll use Breakfree CLP with a brush and q-tip to do the cleaning. Then I'll hit it with the air again to dry everything up. Then I lube the rails with Ballistol and use Mobil1 grease where ever I see wear. I've done this routine with 2 Sigs and a Colt 1911 and never experienced a gritty feel.
                              Put a little light coat of oil on the recoil spring spring and that could get rid of that gritty feeling.
                              Originally posted by barrage
                              That's because Excelsior threads are like toilet bowls. They're made for crapping in and occasionally pissing on the side of.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1