Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Uberti Single Action trigger question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JustJoshinYa
    Member
    • Jan 2013
    • 121

    Uberti Single Action trigger question

    I recently purchased a Uberti cattleman 1873 single action. I just took it to the range this evening it ran smoothly and I had no issues. But prior to the range trip you could not pull the trigger unless it was fully cocked as of getting home I went to clean it and I noticed that you can now complete pull the trigger without the hammer being cocked. You go to half cocked and the trigger stiffens right up. This model DOES have the hammer firing pin mechanism that has the spring that pushes on the firing pin when engaging the trigger.

    My question is should I be able to completely pull the trigger with the hammer not being engaged in any way shape or form? Was it working correctly or incorrect prior to going to the range, where you could not pull the trigger at all unless the hammer was cocked. Did something break on my first trip to the range? Or was the trigger not functioning and now after shooting its working properly? Im new to single action revolvers and just find conflicting info when i try and Google search. Thanks guys.
  • #2
    The Gleam
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2011
    • 13460

    Nice try Alec.

    ---
    -----------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Librarian
    What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

    If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

    Comment

    • #3
      JustJoshinYa
      Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 121

      Ok so I just finished cleaning the revolver and now the trigger is back to where you cannot freely pull the trigger at all until the hammer is cocked.... im assuming that this is how it is supposed to be all the time and after shooting it something to do with the trigger and hammer/sear was going on and now after removing the cylinder and cleaning and lubing the gun it has now re engaged and is working how it should now??

      Comment

      • #4
        MyOdessa
        Ban Islam
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Mar 2011
        • 2571

        I can't tell if OP question is serious or an attempt at parody. If serious, this is one of the first results from Google search describing single action trigger in revolver. And, if it was an attempt at parody, my sympathy.

        "How A Single Action Revolver Works.

        Here is how a single action revolver works. When the hammer is forward and in the safe position the trigger does not engage, does not discharge a round. By pulling the hammer halfway back you place the hammer in the halfcocked position.

        On the right side of the cylinder, you open the loading gate. This is how you load ammunition into the gun.

        With the hammer in the halfcocked position, you can rotate the cylinder, having easy access to put ammunition into or out of the gun. Pushing the ejector removes spent brass or unused ammunition from the individual cylinders.

        By pulling the hammer back all the way you place the gun in the full cocked position. By slightly squeezing the trigger and easing the hammer forward you place the gun in the safe position. The gun will not discharge.

        The gun also will not discharge in the halfcocked position. The trigger will only function and the gun will discharge ammunition only when hammer is actively placed in the full cocked position. A single action revolver cannot discharge a round unless the user has actively pulled the hammer back in the full cocked position and pulled the trigger.

        https://www.the-ppa.com/post/how-a-s...revolver-works "

        Comment

        • #5
          newbie1234
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2016
          • 3131

          "Single Action" the name said it all. For Single Action Revolver the hammer must be cock BEFORE pull the trigger. The hammer don't have to be cocked and you can pull the trigger that I do not know man, that is "double action revolver".

          Comment

          • #6
            foesgth
            Member
            • Aug 2010
            • 458

            If you can pull the trigger on half-cock there is problem with the notch on the hammer. If cleaning it fixed the issue it was probably just dirt in the notch. If if keeps happening you might need a new hammer or have the current one welded and re-cut.
            You do not have to be crazy to hang out with me. I'll train you!

            Comment

            • #7
              JustJoshinYa
              Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 121

              Originally posted by foesgth
              If you can pull the trigger on half-cock there is problem with the notch on the hammer. If cleaning it fixed the issue it was probably just dirt in the notch. If if keeps happening you might need a new hammer or have the current one welded and re-cut.
              Thank you for being the only one to actually attempt to give me a real answer. This is a brand new revolver I just got, cleaning it out with ballistol did fix it, as you can no longer pull the trigger when the hammer is forward. Maybe there was debris in there from the factory that got into the notches on the hammer when I was shooting the gun at the range. This is a brand new uberti and I only put 100 rounds through it last night at the range. I will definitely try and get back out to the range when I can to put more rounds through it and see if it does it again.

              Comment

              • #8
                JustJoshinYa
                Member
                • Jan 2013
                • 121

                Originally posted by MyOdessa
                I can't tell if OP question is serious or an attempt at parody. If serious, this is one of the first results from Google search describing single action trigger in revolver. And, if it was an attempt at parody, my sympathy.

                "How A Single Action Revolver Works.

                Here is how a single action revolver works. When the hammer is forward and in the safe position the trigger does not engage, does not discharge a round. By pulling the hammer halfway back you place the hammer in the halfcocked position.

                On the right side of the cylinder, you open the loading gate. This is how you load ammunition into the gun.

                With the hammer in the halfcocked position, you can rotate the cylinder, having easy access to put ammunition into or out of the gun. Pushing the ejector removes spent brass or unused ammunition from the individual cylinders.

                By pulling the hammer back all the way you place the gun in the full cocked position. By slightly squeezing the trigger and easing the hammer forward you place the gun in the safe position. The gun will not discharge.

                The gun also will not discharge in the halfcocked position. The trigger will only function and the gun will discharge ammunition only when hammer is actively placed in the full cocked position. A single action revolver cannot discharge a round unless the user has actively pulled the hammer back in the full cocked position and pulled the trigger.

                https://www.the-ppa.com/post/how-a-s...revolver-works "
                Not parody... I own several DA revolvers, i guess my explanation wasn't very clear.

                I know that the trigger on a SA revolver does not operate like a double action. But after i got home from the range you could pull the trigger completely back with no resistance when the hammer was forward. Then when you would engage the hammer the tension on the trigger would come back as expected.

                After cleaning the revolver now you can no longer pull the trigger when the hammer is forward. I wasn't sure if my issue with the trigger was something to do with ubertis weird firing pin safety thing or if my trigger was malfunctioning. But thanks for your help.

                Comment

                • #9
                  The Gleam
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 13460

                  Originally posted by JustJoshinYa

                  Not parody....
                  Well... given your user-name, wasn't too sure.

                  ---
                  -----------------------------------------------
                  Originally posted by Librarian
                  What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

                  If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    JustJoshinYa
                    Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 121

                    Originally posted by The Gleam

                    Well... given your user-name, wasn't too sure.

                    ---
                    I get it, but I truly was looking for info/help lol just because when I researched it some said that on the models with the firing pin safety that you actually can pull the trigger with the hammer forward as it has something to do with the spring inside the hammer but others said you should not be able to pull the trigger with the hammer forward and that if you can the spring may be broken or the hammer notches aren't cut correctly and not engaging. Was just trying to figure it out without opening up a single action since I have no experience with single actions and didn't want to mess anything up.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      dfletcher
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 14811

                      Originally posted by JustJoshinYa

                      Not parody... I own several DA revolvers, i guess my explanation wasn't very clear.

                      I know that the trigger on a SA revolver does not operate like a double action. But after i got home from the range you could pull the trigger completely back with no resistance when the hammer was forward. Then when you would engage the hammer the tension on the trigger would come back as expected.

                      After cleaning the revolver now you can no longer pull the trigger when the hammer is forward. I wasn't sure if my issue with the trigger was something to do with ubertis weird firing pin safety thing or if my trigger was malfunctioning. But thanks for your help.
                      FWIW, I'd say there are three distinct types of SA revolvers -

                      The conventional "4 click" Colt SAA types. the Ruger New Model transfer bar and the Italian import types that used a variety of "safety" features intended to allow carry of 6 rather than 5 rounds. The Colt SAA and Ruger New Model versions are pretty straightforward. There is no "half cock with the newer Rugers. The Uberti, Pietta, Cimarron types have evolved, so to speak.

                      Many of the imports now use a "3 click" action wherein the 1st click is eliminated and the firing pin free floating. There is hidden trigger actuated spring loaded pin transvering the trigger to the hammer. Which when cammed up by the dogleg sits behind the firing pin, holding it in its forward position. Hammer drops and "bang".

                      The 3 click types are readily recognized by the trigger sitting far forward in the trigger guard as compared to the 4 click types. And a very long after travel.

                      There are several ways to convert to 4 click, if one is inclined. Simplest approach is to buy an older Uberti, Pietta, etc.
                      GOA Member & SAF Life Member

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1