Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

A Sight for "Older" Eyes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wolflodge
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 27

    A Sight for "Older" Eyes

    My Sig 1911 has Trijicon Night Sights. I have been thinking of changing out the front sight to a highly visable sight but leaving the rear as is. Even with my prescription glasses, the front sight is difficult to see. I hope some of you guys out there can offer some suggestions. Thanks!
  • #2
    htfan
    Member
    • Nov 2011
    • 178



    Good question! I need some options too.
    -

    "God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically." Albert Einstein

    Comment

    • #3
      Bill Steele
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2010
      • 5028

      I too have fading vision issues.

      I just installed a set of Truglo TFO's on a gun and was pretty impressed. I got the Green/Yellow set (green front, yellow rear). These are the best night sights I have ever used.

      They get a lot of complaints about longevity in online reviews, something you won't likely see with Trijicons, but man they are terrific right now.
      When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

      Comment

      • #4
        reddot556
        Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 455

        i put a set of the xs sights on my hi power..i really like them...http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=si...ts&sID=handgun

        Comment

        • #5
          JRJCP
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2010
          • 695

          We apologize for the inconvenience. We recently redesigned our website and many of our links have changed.…
          Repair, Perform services and Custom work on 1911s

          Comment

          • #6
            stevie
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 3856

            On my 1911's I left the front sight in place and used a 10-8 with .156 notch to give more light between the front and rear sight. This worked much better for me.

            Comment

            • #7
              Press Check
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2011
              • 4879

              Dawson's FO sights are definitely hard to miss at any age.

              Comment

              • #8
                markw
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2007
                • 821

                The dawsons are great. Have them on my 1911. Doing the same for the SP01 I just ordered from czcustom.

                Comment

                • #9
                  littlejake
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • 2168

                  My distance vision changed around age 40. Still correctable to 20/20 with glasses. Distance correction generally requires a negative diopter corrective lens. I found after getting glasses that I shot best without correction; and the front sight was in good focus without correction and the target slightly blurred. Naturally I still wear safety glasses.

                  These days for target shooting, I've gone to a .22 and use an ultradot 1x optical sight. Nice thing about 1x optics, it puts the target and red dot at infinity so, I can shoot with my corrective lenses.

                  Where I going with this is: OP have you tried shooting without your corrective glasses?
                  Life Member NRA and 2A Foundation.
                  My posts are my own opinions and do not reflect those of any organization I am a member of.
                  Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice; if you need legal advice, see a lawyer.

                  "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
                  William Pitt (1759-1806)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Eirerogue
                    Member
                    • Dec 2010
                    • 495

                    I'm using 10-8 .156 rear sight coupled with XS small dot front sight. Just perfect for me and my aging eyes!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      9mmepiphany
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 8075

                      A fiber optic front will really improve your ability to pick up the sight.

                      You'll see a huge improvement if you replace the rear sight also. The best combination for the F/O front would be a plain black blade with a wide rear notch...the 10-8 rear sight is an excellent example and the Heine 50+ sight is also very good
                      ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        morfeeis
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 7605


                        I suffer from low vision and XS big dots make it much easier to pick up the front sight. The above picture is XS big dots mounted on my Ruger SR9 but they make sights for the 1911 also. From this day forth, every pistol i own will have them.
                        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
                        Originally posted by Ayn Rand
                        You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Old4eyes
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 1757

                          What is the ultimate goal - target shooting or self defense?
                          The reason I ask that, is that I can offer a couple of solutions that work well for target but don't work well for a self defense scenario.

                          I use safety glasses that have prescription inserts. I normally wear progressive bifocals, but for the shooting I went with a hard line bifocal, and had the "close" portion of the lens made large. With my head at neutral shooting position, I am viewing through the "close" portion of the bifocal and the front sight is in clear view. I tilt my head down to view the target clearly. This setup works well for target shooting, but bad guys at the bedroom door may not wait for me to put on my special glasses.

                          Option two for target shooting:A Merit optical attachment - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/978...th-suction-cup

                          You would use this on a pair of glasses where you see the distance clearly. Put this on the glasses and view the target thought the iris of the attachment, and you'll see the target and the sight in focus together ( or at least a lot better than you normally would). I find this works for me at 25 yards better than at 10 yards or closer. It is a little cumbersome to set up, but for target shooting with iron sights, it works nicely. Again, not something to use in a self defense scenario.

                          Both of those solutions works with the existing sights, so if you have multiple guns, you are getting a single solution for multiple problems.

                          Now if you are looking for the self defense solution, it may be something like an XS Big Dot, but your vision still may not work well with that scenario.

                          Sucks to get old. Been there, doing that.
                          Send Lawyers, Guns and Money - On second thought, hold the Lawyers.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            rtk
                            Junior Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 99

                            Originally posted by stevie
                            On my 1911's I left the front sight in place and used a 10-8 with .156 notch to give more light between the front and rear sight. This worked much better for me.
                            +1.

                            I installed Heine sights with the .156 rear notch and it's a huge difference over the previous .125 notch. The .177 rear notch (I believe) on my Wiley Clapp Commander makes front sight acquisition a breeze.
                            Last edited by rtk; 05-19-2012, 5:47 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              g_conway
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2011
                              • 572

                              I have the same vision problems. I put the TruGlo TFO's (green fron / yellow rear) on mine and now I have NO problems with the sights in ANY lighting condition.

                              I will put these on any gun I can, they are that good.
                              G_Conway
                              ______________________________________________

                              Smith and Wesson... The original Point and Click interface.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1