Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Gun Cleaning and Oiling Materials

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Plaz
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 20

    Gun Cleaning and Oiling Materials

    I will be receiving my first gun soon which is a Sig 220. I know there are a lot of gun cleaning and oil materials out there that are probably pretty good. I know nothing about them. I sure would like to hear the recommendations from you folks on the forum who obviously have a lot of experience with different gun cleaning and oiling materials?

    Thank you.
  • #2
    apbrian112
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2007
    • 3279

    i use non-clorinated brake cleaner (same as gun scrubber w/o the cost) and breakfree CLP on all my firearms... no problems so far.
    CRPA Lifetime Member

    Comment

    • #3
      USN CHIEF
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2007
      • 11540

      CLP is the best. I used to use Q-tips for hard to reach places but I recently became aware of a company that a fellow Cal Gunner has that is called "Bear Metal Clean", they sell the best Swabs that I have ever seen for cleaning a gun in those hard to reach areas. The below is a link to their website plus if you order before 31JAN08 you get a 10% discount with this cuopon (MB-101-1207).

      Last edited by USN CHIEF; 01-08-2008, 8:45 AM. Reason: Spelling
      Originally posted by tankerman
      I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.
      Originally posted by Douglas711
      Is everybody stocking up on guys now? Just curious some gun prices seem to be getting high.

      Comment

      • #4
        Jeffrock
        Member
        • Feb 2006
        • 406

        MPro-7 to clean, TW25B or CLP to lube.

        Comment

        • #5
          What Just Happened?
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2007
          • 2504

          I've been using Hoppes #9 to clean and CLP to lubricate. Using old toothbrushes to apply both.

          Comment

          • #6
            thedonger
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2006
            • 1080

            Hoppes #9 and CLP for me as well. Has worked for years Some time I use a little Gun Scrub or other Cleaner but only if its really dirty like after hunting.
            sigpic

            TheDonger.CalGuns@gmail.com

            Comment

            • #7
              spencerhut
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Oct 2006
              • 1264

              Hoppes Elite. No oder and works better than the smelly stuff.
              www.spencersfirearms.com
              14402 Hwy 41, Madera 93636
              Mon-Fri 10AM to 6PM
              Sat 10AM to 5PM
              559-822-4369
              I am a US Marine, an active shooter, lifetime NRA, USPSA, ICORE & Calguns member and I own a gun store.
              Living the Dream 24x7

              Comment

              • #8
                caldude
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2007
                • 1253

                I haven't tried a lot of cleaners/lubes. Currently I am using Prolix (bought direct from mfg), based on recommendations I've found in other sites. It's a clean/lube/protectant that doesn't smell much, cleans well, and protects and lubes. Plus it's reusable. I have a plastic bin I fill to use for cleaning gun parts. Basically, after disassembling I soak the parts and then dry them off (kind of like doing dishes). When I'm done, I just filter the Prolix back into a sealable container.

                Comment

                • #9
                  JamesY
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 2652

                  I use Hoppes #9 for the bore and CLP for lubing. Works great.

                  Also, I got into a discussion with some fellow gunnuts the other day... Hoppes is pronounced "Hope-pees" right? My friend thinks it's "Hops"

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Astig Boy
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2006
                    • 1016

                    Sig now recommends grease on their rails. RIGs works best for me. If you have a P220ST, RIGs also makes a stainless steel grease. Ive tried all kinds of lubes also...and now I am back to where I started, Breakfree CLP.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1