Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First time out with a handgun...ever

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • roushstage2
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 2782

    First time out with a handgun...ever

    So I finally found a bit of time to take my first ever handgun out yesterday. I picked up a "Service Model" Springfield XD-40. Now, being a rifle guy, I apparently started out too far back for my own experience level (about 50 feet IIRC), hence the spray of bullets from the first 30 rounds everywhere besides on the 6"x8" target. I was also figuring out the 6 o'clock aiming. I'm used to aiming on the target I want to shoot, with my rifles. I moved forward somewhere into the 15-20 foot range, and started hitting the target. The next 3 mags were on target.



    For the most part, most of my shots went in a 1'x1' area (the red square). I mean, for absolutely no prior handgun experience and no guidance from someone who knows what they are doing, I didn't do horrible with a .40S&W, did I? Obviously it's a case of practice, practice, practice, but hopefully I'll be able to go to the range with someone who can correct flaws in my form and technique.
  • #2
    fullrearview
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2008
    • 9371

    Not bad. Try this next time... Start at 2 yards (yes, that close) and try and put every single round in the exact same hole. Take your time, focus ans squeeze the trigger.

    Again. That is not bad at all for your first time.
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."~M.Twain~

    Comment

    • #3
      G-forceJunkie
      Calguns Addict
      • Jul 2010
      • 6475

      Not bad. I would suggest some basis training, its so hard to brake bad habits formed when you just try and figure it out yourself. A couple hours of basic instruction will at least show you the proper methods so that you are practicing them correctly. Practicing the wrong way just makes you really good at doing it wrong!

      Comment

      • #4
        ElvenSoul
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Apr 2008
        • 17431

        Good job!
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          roushstage2
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 2782

          Originally posted by fullrearview
          Not bad. Try this next time... Start at 2 yards (yes, that close) and try and put every single round in the exact same hole. Take your time, focus ans squeeze the trigger.

          Again. That is not bad at all for your first time.
          Will do! That sounds like a good exercise to practice consistent hold, aiming and trigger pull. Thanks as well!
          Originally posted by G-forceJunkie
          Not bad. I would suggest some basis training, its so hard to brake bad habits formed when you just try and figure it out yourself. A couple hours of basic instruction will at least show you the proper methods so that you are practicing them correctly. Practicing the wrong way just makes you really good at doing it wrong!
          Yes, that is something I do indeed want to do. I want to try and save a bit to do a class over the summer. I want to do a rifle one, but I need more help with a handgun than a rifle.

          Originally posted by ElvenSoul
          Good job!
          Thank you!

          Comment

          • #6
            m98
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • 4088

            Thats pretty good for first timer. I've seen shooters completely miss the whole target or bullet strikes ground 10yds out. Last range session i went to a whole group of thugs was shootin thier glock 9's and fo tays and their shootings riddles the entire man size target. Many holes outside the man target and many many completely miss paper. They shot aleast 500rds between all of them. There wasnt 500 holes on target. Lol
            "Screw U guys, I'm going home"...:the great Eric Cartman

            10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>

            Comment

            • #7
              FalconLair
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2012
              • 3985

              my first gun a Colt King Cobra 4" Stainess .357 magnum I took with me to the Long Beach Police Firing Range, this was back in the early 80's when they allowed the public to shoot there too. Not even sure if the range is there anymore, there's a Walmart Store right by where it was, anyway, I remember gettting so frustrated after firing about 50 rounds at about 25 feet and not one hit. "This gun is defective", thats what I thought to myself, even though deep down inside I knew it was me.

              I walked over close to another guy firing his gun and he was doing pretty well and at the end of his round I just started flat out talking to him and I told him it was my first ever gun purchase and I couldn't hit the side of a barn at 25 feet. He actually took some time to give me some pointers with my stance and lining up my sights, some breathing tips and not too long after that I started raking up hits and started to get the feel for my first hand gun.

              I still have that "defective" Colt King Cobra, in my safe, prolly only put about 250 rounds through it before I got my second gun, a Browning Hi-Power 9mm, so it looks like the first 2 guns I ever bought and kept still have a pretty good resell value to them. FYI, they are NOT for sale, my son gets them both lol, its just strange how one event lead to others.

              Enjoy your purchase, roush, may you have many rewarding days and memorable experiences and, in short, you never know where it might lead you. And I guess a good moral would be, if you're ever in doubt, don't hesitate to ask for help.
              Last edited by FalconLair; 05-12-2012, 5:03 AM.
              Originally posted by Barang
              I! hate! you! FalconLair.
              Originally posted by JagerDog
              I hate you FalconLair!
              Originally Posted by JTROKS
              I hate you FalconLair! I double hate you if you get it before Christmas!
              Originally posted by gcvt
              They hate you FalconLair
              Originally posted by Greta
              HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair

              Comment

              • #8
                lilro
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2011
                • 2374

                One thing that's helped me get a straight trigger pull is to pretend the trigger "slides" like a sliding door instead of a hanging trigger on a hinge. Pretend it's on rails. Don't know if that makes sense. But a class with a good instructor is definitely a neccessity.
                Last edited by lilro; 05-12-2012, 10:03 AM.
                There is no justification for the public servant police to be more heavily armed than the law-abiding public they serve...Unless...the government's intention is to be more powerful than the people.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bobula
                  Calguns Addict
                  • May 2007
                  • 9386

                  Hit me up. I'll help
                  Originally posted by Kestryll
                  Yeah, don't tell that rat bastard Kestryll, he'll shut it down.

                  Fascist pig....

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    jimster716
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 839

                    Originally posted by m98
                    Thats pretty good for first timer. I've seen shooters completely miss the whole target or bullet strikes ground 10yds out. Last range session i went to a whole group of thugs was shootin thier glock 9's and fo tays and their shootings riddles the entire man size target. Many holes outside the man target and many many completely miss paper. They shot aleast 500rds between all of them. There wasnt 500 holes on target. Lol
                    Explains why you always hear or read about the innocent bystanders who get shot. I, too, have seen thug life shoot at ranges many times only to see some seriously horrible shooting.
                    LA County CCW Renewal Progress
                    4/01/21: Mailed CCW app w/GC: Yellow.
                    4/14/21: $30 App Fee check deposited
                    5/25/21: Request for interview
                    6/03/21: Interview completed and Livescan submitted w/CA and FBI completed
                    6/14/21: Firearms Livescan: completed
                    8/16/21: Request to complete firearms training
                    8/22/21: Gun training completed/Certs submitted
                    10/11/21: Call to pickup
                    10/13/21: CCW permit picked up

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Sac-AR15
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2011
                      • 881

                      Not bad at all for being your first time with a handgun. Congrats
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        MrChubbyMcLard
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 503

                        Congrats on your new pistol! Next time buy Glock! Remember, squeeze, don't pull the trigger.

                        Originally posted by roushstage2
                        So I finally found a bit of time to take my first ever handgun out yesterday. I picked up a "Service Model" Springfield XD-40. Now, being a rifle guy, I apparently started out too far back for my own experience level (about 50 feet IIRC), hence the spray of bullets from the first 30 rounds everywhere besides on the 6"x8" target. I was also figuring out the 6 o'clock aiming. I'm used to aiming on the target I want to shoot, with my rifles. I moved forward somewhere into the 15-20 foot range, and started hitting the target. The next 3 mags were on target.



                        For the most part, most of my shots went in a 1'x1' area (the red square). I mean, for absolutely no prior handgun experience and no guidance from someone who knows what they are doing, I didn't do horrible with a .40S&W, did I? Obviously it's a case of practice, practice, practice, but hopefully I'll be able to go to the range with someone who can correct flaws in my form and technique.
                        Thank You,
                        Mr Chubby McLard

                        Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          nocomply25
                          Member
                          • Oct 2011
                          • 273

                          good job, the 40 is not a easy introduction to shooting handguns! Keep it up and you will be on target from 50 yards in no time.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            MrChubbyMcLard
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2011
                            • 503

                            Originally posted by m98
                            Thats pretty good for first timer. I've seen shooters completely miss the whole target or bullet strikes ground 10yds out. Last range session i went to a whole group of thugs was shootin thier glock 9's and fo tays and their shootings riddles the entire man size target. Many holes outside the man target and many many completely miss paper. They shot aleast 500rds between all of them. There wasnt 500 holes on target. Lol
                            While growing up I was one of them "thug lifes!" Thank the good Lord I grew out of that CRAP!

                            I started shooting quiet young and I wasn't bad at all. Last year I qualified for my CCW with an LCP 380, Glock 27, and Taurus Tracker 357 mag. The instructor complimented me on my shooting, I scored 99%. I got cocky with the last shot and just pulled the trigger without really aiming, and I hit the 9 point section instead of the 10, lol!
                            Thank You,
                            Mr Chubby McLard

                            Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              MikeDre
                              Junior Member
                              • Oct 2011
                              • 63

                              My newbie advice that has gotten me pretty proficient in a few months and usually leaves my friends shooting much better than earlier in the day. Your results may vary.

                              The thing that helped me the most is realizing that the error was all because of me and not my gun
                              Next, the error is mostly from manipulating the gun right before pulling the trigger obviously since your sights arent wavering that much when you are holding steady, right?

                              Now, realize that if you just pull the trigger before you manipulate the gun's aim it will hit where you want.
                              So, how do you do that? First off dont be afraid of the gun jumping out of your hand. It wont happen. Next up, calm down, get the gun solidly in your hand and pushed back against your palms so if you tighten your grip a bit more it doesnt dip the muzzle, get your left hand and thumb in there to keep it all nice and solid

                              If your shot doesnt go where you want, quickly load up a snap cap and shoot until you dont flinch. You will realize that you are doing something when you try to shoot like pushing the gun forward. Using the snap cap think about feeling the trigger break, and not flinching before that point. Keep shooting the snap cap until you dont flinch for a few times and then go back to shooting the same way as you did with the snap cap, just with real bullets.

                              Rinse and repeat.
                              Last edited by MikeDre; 05-23-2012, 10:03 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1