Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ruger LC9 Good for CCW?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mrvash
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 2309

    Ruger LC9 Good for CCW?

    Good Evening Fellas!

    I just put a Ruger LC9 with the Lasermax mod from factory in 10 day jail, and I'll be getting to my CCW permit soon after (my county's sheriff is CCW friendly) Does anyone have any experience with this sub compact pistol and are there any CCW holsters for it that would conceal nicely under dress shirts?

    Thanks!


    Last edited by mrvash; 05-11-2012, 7:20 PM.
  • #2
    zdragon
    Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 414

    LC9 is a great concealment weapon...deadly reliable. i had the mag disconnect disabled with mine but left all ignition parts stock.
    i like your Avatar btw....cause that's one of my 1911s.

    By zdagon52 at 2012-04-22
    Last edited by zdragon; 05-10-2012, 10:39 PM.

    Comment

    • #3
      SA227driver
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2010
      • 1373

      May want to look into a DeSantis Nemesis Pocket holster for it. I hear they are good.

      I would recommend taking a good tac pistol class and become comfortable drawing from concealment. I know the LC9 has a long trigger pull, a manual safety, and a mag disconnect. All factors you need to consider when carrying this pistol. If that manual safety engages during a stressful moment no bang bang. If in the heat of the moment or in a scuffle with a bad guy your mag release gets bumped; again, no bang bang.
      Find a place to carry a spare mag...or two. (www.abetterholster.com)

      and most importantly...

      Practice, practice, practice!!!

      Not at an indoor range where you're just standing there plinking away but in simulated timed/stressful scenarios under the guidance of a competent instructor.

      You're very lucky that your county is LTC friendly and enjoy your LC9.
      NRA, CGF, GSSF, SAF member
      Certified Glock Armorer 2011, 2016

      "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. -Psalm 144:1

      Comment

      • #4
        CJJohn
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 1216

        I've got one and love it. The trigger pull is not an issue that training won't fix. I stopped counting rounds at about 3500, but I have to be close to 5k through it. I have had no issues at all. I personally think it's a little too big for pocket carry so I carry IWB. When I got mine there was a long wait for a holster so I made my own. SA22 hit the nail on the head too.

        Comment

        • #5
          gimmejr
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 1613

          Made my own, might redo it a little different.

          Im a genuine E-thug, because talking s**t in person is dangerous.

          Comment

          • #6
            coy80176
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2010
            • 1917

            Depending on the pants pockets size...

            Normally roll with a IWB tuckable from the Holster Store

            If the pocket is big enough, I use a Desantis Nemesis.

            Also removed the mag disconnect safety, otherwise rolling stock....the LC9 is a great little 9mm.



            "When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power... like God must feel when he's holding a gun." - Homer

            Comment

            • #7
              SA227driver
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2010
              • 1373

              As stated above, some guys have elected to remove the mag disconnect safety; which I would personally prefer not to have in a carry gun and I agree on a fundamental level as to why individuals choose to do it (which is why I carry a Glock) just please fully consider the legal ramifications of removing a factory installed "safety device", especially here in Kali.
              NRA, CGF, GSSF, SAF member
              Certified Glock Armorer 2011, 2016

              "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. -Psalm 144:1

              Comment

              • #8
                SDM44
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 3899

                Originally posted by SA227driver
                May want to look into a DeSantis Nemesis Pocket holster for it. I hear they are good.
                The Nemesis pocket holster is a good one, but it will make for a huge package in your pocket with a LC9. I have a Nemesis pocket holster for my LCP, and it already fills the entire pocket and puts a decent bulge in my pants. It works better in my baggy shorts with deeper pockets or in the cargo pocket.

                If I had to put a LC9 in my front pocket, it would be way too big for me and wouldn't work well. Therefore I'd recommend a good IWB holster that fits you well. For me, I found a Pwii holster at my appendix hides very well and fits me comfortably with either LCP or LC9.

                However, this will obviously differ for everyone since people wear different size clothes and what not. But just giving you an idea from my own personal experience.



                As for the long trigger pull on the LC9, it's really not bad once you start shooting the gun and getting used to it. My advice it to do a lot of repetitive shooting with it (like taking a handgun course using the LC9) so you're basically building muscle memory with the trigger pull. That way you're more accustomed to the trigger if/when you ever need to use the gun in any situation.

                Comment

                • #9
                  mrvash
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2010
                  • 2309

                  Thanks everyone for the great input, does anyone recommend a good shoulder rig or IWB holster that can accommodate the LC9 with the factory installed LaserMax laser mod?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Deadon
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 9975

                    I just bought one and one of these also.
                    The original holster that hides in plain sight. Glove-quality leather and ballistic nylon, custom-fit to your firearm. Expedited shipping available.
                    Lions not sheep.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Exile Machine
                      No longer in Business
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 9551

                      I'm currently carrying an LCP w/Lasermax in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. It does bulge a little bit, but no more than a thick wallet would. Been carrying this way for a few days and no one's yet commented on the bulge in my shorts...

                      We carry a whole bunch of LC9 holsters and other accessories, check 'em out: https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/se...rd=LC9&x=0&y=0

                      -Mark
                      Manufacturer of CA AWB Compliance Products from Oct 2009 to Nov 2018

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Subotai
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jun 2010
                        • 11289

                        Originally posted by Exile Machine
                        I'm currently carrying an LCP w/Lasermax in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. It does bulge a little bit, but no more than a thick wallet would. Been carrying this way for a few days and no one's yet commented on the bulge in my shorts...
                        -Mark
                        Well you did say it was small, they didn't want you to feel self-conscious!
                        RKBA Clock: soap box, ballot box, jury box, cartridge box (Say When!)
                        Free Vespuchia!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Ken Woodford
                          Member
                          • May 2012
                          • 328

                          I have the DeSantis IWB holster(The Insider) and I love it. The spring is strong just the opposite of an Uncle Mike's.

                          I orginally bought the Soft-Tuck but the plastic swivel extended too far below the holster and it was wearing a hole in my Blue Jeans so I sent it back and bought the insider. It fits quite low and doesn't imprint.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bigcalidave
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 4489

                            Great CCW gun, made my own holster as well, maybe I'll post a pic if I remember
                            ...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              p1choco
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2007
                              • 583

                              Made my own holster too. I modded my LC9 with some Galloway parts. Long trigger pull is a thing of the past and they offer stiffer recoil springs and ae other parts. 700 rounds and so far I haven't had a failure other than a couple of squib loads.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1