Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Whatever happened to Valtro?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SnWnMe
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2007
    • 6897

    Whatever happened to Valtro?

    I remember Jardine coming out with this line many years ago. Seemed to be so much vaporware in the end but someone did say he was too busy filling out orders for "the war".
    Frank Da Tank
  • #2
    Bill Steele
    Calguns Addict
    • Sep 2010
    • 5028

    There are Valtro's out there. I held one at Bullseye in SR one day. I think they wanted like $4-5K, maybe a little more can't remember, nice gun, didn't last long on the market.
    When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

    Comment

    • #3
      Cyc Wid It
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 4485

      Unless you're LEO/.mil/.gov or already own one of his products, you're S.O.L. when it comes to Jardine stuff. Oh, except his gun lube I think.
      WTS all BNIB: Colt S70 Repro, HK45c, Gen4 G19

      Comment

      • #4
        Sam
        Calguns Addict
        CGN Contributor
        • Jul 2008
        • 5205

        The website was last updated in 2003...

        Wasn't the semi custom line going to be built in Italy?

        Comment

        • #5
          offrdmania
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2008
          • 4053

          Jardine is the only importer, I talked to him a few times back in 2005, he has an office over in Milpitas. I bought a Valtro shotgun from him. The 1911's are very scarce. They are made in Italy to his specs, when they come here they are basic and no better than a Rock Island but then Jardine does his work to them and be prepared to spend 4K-5K for it when its all said and done. Not sure if he is still importing them though. The finish work is beautiful on them.
          Previous iTrader rating, over 150 Positive ratings

          Comment

          • #6
            xtalpimp
            Member
            • Feb 2006
            • 336

            How do these Valtros compare with other high end 1911s? $5000 is a lot of money for one pistol. Are you better off going with another brand?

            Comment

            • #7
              zfields
              CGN Contributor
              • Aug 2010
              • 13658

              Shot one that a guy had at bullseye. Damn nice gun.
              Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

              10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

              Comment

              • #8
                offrdmania
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2008
                • 4053

                Originally posted by xtalpimp
                How do these Valtros compare with other high end 1911s? $5000 is a lot of money for one pistol. Are you better off going with another brand?
                You arent paying $5000 for the gun, you are paying $800 for the gun and $4200 for Jardines blue printing
                Previous iTrader rating, over 150 Positive ratings

                Comment

                • #9
                  NSR500
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2006
                  • 19530

                  John Jardine builds an excellent gun.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    teflondog
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 4011

                    Originally posted by xtalpimp
                    How do these Valtros compare with other high end 1911s? $5000 is a lot of money for one pistol. Are you better off going with another brand?
                    I'm not impressed with my friend's Valtro. The trigger pull is around 4.5 lbs, which feels like crap compared to my Ed Brown's 3 lb trigger. But he insists that his gun has better quality and craftsmanship.
                    Originally posted by G. Michael Hopf
                    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      bug_eyedmonster
                      • Oct 2007
                      • 3639

                      Originally posted by teflondog
                      I'm not impressed with my friend's Valtro. The trigger pull is around 4.5 lbs, which feels like crap compared to my Ed Brown's 3 lb trigger. But he insists that his gun has better quality and craftsmanship.
                      If your friend is unhappy with his gun, I'd have him contact John. He will make it right, and make sure your friend walks away with a smile on his face. I've seen a 1911 worked on by John that was intentially set with a heavier trigger, mainly because it was a duty gun. Please keep in mind that John builds guns with a purpose. He tailors guns to their respective shooters, based on what the gun will be used for. If you do plan to have a gun built by him, expect to be asked hundreds of questions. I've had the honor of having a couple of guns worked on by John, while it's not easy, it's well worth it. I'm not a leg humper, but I do respect the craftsmanship of a fine gun, regradless of who built it. =)

                      Jerry
                      The inconvenience of poor quality lingers long after the thrill of a good bargain.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        xtalpimp
                        Member
                        • Feb 2006
                        • 336

                        Does valtro 1911s have a following outside of the nor cal where he is from?

                        Im just curious as to the resale value if it is highly rated just around here.

                        Kinda like Bob Chows work in the past.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Mr.1904
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 3310

                          Originally posted by jessegpresley
                          I wouldn't want a 3 lb trigger on any gun I own.

                          http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-...r-pull-weight/
                          The article you posted has to do with duty pistols. Talks about "high stress situations". Range plinking is not a high stress situation. I'm pretty sure most people who compete have around 3 LB trigger pulls or lighter also. Correct me if i'm wrong.
                          "Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            NSR500
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 19530

                            Yes, he does have a following outside of California. His rear sight is in use on the Chris Costa Nighthawk 1911.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              CrippledPidgeon
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2007
                              • 1765

                              Originally posted by bug_eyedmonster
                              If your friend is unhappy with his gun, I'd have him contact John. He will make it right, and make sure your friend walks away with a smile on his face. I've seen a 1911 worked on by John that was intentially set with a heavier trigger, mainly because it was a duty gun. Please keep in mind that John builds guns with a purpose. He tailors guns to their respective shooters, based on what the gun will be used for. If you do plan to have a gun built by him, expect to be asked hundreds of questions. I've had the honor of having a couple of guns worked on by John, while it's not easy, it's well worth it. I'm not a leg humper, but I do respect the craftsmanship of a fine gun, regradless of who built it. =)

                              Jerry
                              The reason why John ended his relationship with Valtro was because their quality control at the factory was crap, and he had to spend a lot of time fixing the guns before they hit market. At the time, you were buying essentially a custom gun in the sub-$2000 range. Now that he's stopped importing, and demand hasn't gone down, the value of his guns has increased significantly.

                              BE CAREFUL. NOT ALL VALTROS IN THE US WENT THROUGH JOHN. After John broke from Valtro, the guns started entering the states through Canada. Before you drop your $5K, make sure that you're actually buying a gun modified by him, and not a later import. And I can't speak for him, but if you approach him with one of those later guns, you're probably going to have to wait in line with everyone else.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1