Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

IWB arrived help with break in

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mr821907
    Member
    • Sep 2011
    • 480

    IWB arrived help with break in

    This is my first IWB holster. It's from Tommy Theis. For me I like it between the 3 and 4 o'clock position. The holster is made out of kydex and horsehide. I noticed that the horsehide bends good but it seems the kydex edges are not. It's not a big deal for me but I'm just wondering if anyone has done anything with their holster to remedy it. I like the holster and It's made very nice. Also does anyone know how to properly break it in. I know you have to wear it to break it in but some areas of my job I can't carry so would it be bad to break it in without the gun?



  • #2
    stevie
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 3856

    Kydex does not require a breakin. It does not really mold to the person like a leather holster. I have never used a hybrid so not too sure if the horse backing requires a breakin.

    The only way to bend the sides of the kydex exterior will be to heat it until its flexible, then bend it.

    Comment

    • #3
      GuillermoAntonio
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 1526

      I broke my leather/kydex crossbreed holster in like a week of wearing it at home,for a few hours after work.
      Hungry for ammo?
      San Diego Ammo GB from Bullet_man911 ****THE SAN DIEGO AMMO GROUP BUY****!

      Comment

      • #4
        mr821907
        Member
        • Sep 2011
        • 480

        You guys think it would not hurt wearing it without a pistol.

        Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

        Comment

        • #5
          SouperMan
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 1463

          Originally posted by mr821907
          You guys think it would not hurt wearing it without a pistol.

          Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
          I did it. No ill effects. Just feels a tad more different without a gun in it.

          Comment

          • #6
            mr821907
            Member
            • Sep 2011
            • 480

            Originally posted by SouperMan
            I did it. No ill effects. Just feels a tad more different without a gun in it.
            Yeah I know what you mean. The lc9 doesn't even feel like It's there when It's on. It's a ill squeaky but i think some conditioner or mink oil might help. Mabey some sweat also. Lol

            Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

            Comment

            • #7
              vintagearms
              Calguns Addict
              • Jan 2009
              • 6841

              Body heat and time.

              Comment

              • #8
                c3 rolling
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2011
                • 726

                Sweat, bending, and time will fix that, atleast the comfort issue. the Kydex wont change though,

                Comment

                • #9
                  giantsfan
                  Member
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 339

                  I have the same holster for my SP101. I really like it but it is a bit noisy. A little baby powder or some of those felt pads used for the bottom of chairs in between the clips and the horsehide I've heard work well to quiet it down.

                  I've been wearing mine around the house with and without my revolver in it. I think a little sweat will do the trick as well.
                  I can resist everything...except temptation. Wilde

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    FeuerFrei
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2008
                    • 7455

                    i have used baseball glove oil for leather holsters before i went rogue and use only kydex holsters now.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Bug Splat
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2007
                      • 6561

                      Thats why I don't like kydex as a conceal holster. It just does not mold to your body like leather. Kydex makes a nice OWB holster but not IWB.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        HondaMasterTech
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 4338

                        Breaking in a holster isn't much more than wearing it. You can use oils to soften the leather so it doesn't crack, which is a good idea. You should definitely have the gun in the holster while wearing it. Otherwise, the shape it takes won't be natural. The leather backing will deform to match the shape of the gun.
                        Originally posted by Paladin
                        (Please skip the lame "two weeks" replies.)
                        Originally posted by Ford8N
                        If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. Senator Dianne Feinstein, CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, February 5, 1995

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Liberty Customs
                          Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • 102

                          just wear it

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1