Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Thoughts on Beretta 9mm's...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BlackReef
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 3616

    Thoughts on Beretta 9mm's...

    I have been told alot of different things about Beretta, mostly negative. However I have always like the way they look, and wanted to get some opinions on the gun. How does it compare to my Glock 35


    thanks

    -J
  • #2
    Noypi916
    Member
    • Jun 2007
    • 286

    I think if this is being used by the US Military, i'd got to be good and realiable. IMHO

    Comment

    • #3
      plinkmeister
      Member
      • Sep 2007
      • 214

      The 92/M9 series is a good, proven design and they`re dead accurate, which can`t be said about Glocks.

      Some people say they`re way too big for a 9mm...which might be a problem for a person with small hands, personally I think it`s well balanced and comfortable to shoot.

      There were issues with cracked slides , but these have been addressed, once in a while (about every 15-20K rounds )you might have to repace the locking block. Mine hasn`t missed a beat on about 6K rounds fired. It`s not finicky about ammo and ate everything I fed it without a hiccup.

      Comment

      • #4
        aca72
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 3250



        I'll offer another side to this: I'm a former Army officer, and my career spanned both the M1911A1 and the M9 issue. I preferred the Beretta M9 to the M1911A1 for several reasons:

        1)Better sights-by far. The M9 set-up was much more visible, easily acquired, and provided a better sight alignment/sight picture system than the miniscule sights on the military M1911's. The only downside had to do with the M9's front sight being integral with the slide-if you bent the front sight, you'd need a replacement slide, for all practical purposes. In reality, I never heard of/personally experienced this as much of a real-world problem-the sight was sufficiently sturdy and thick.

        2)Better safety set-up. You (or your organization) had several options with the M9, all of them within an acceptable realm of safety for carry/use: a)Chamber loaded, safety ON; b)Chamber loaded, safety OFF, c)Chamber empty, full magazine loaded. With a 1911, there realy are only 2 safe options: a)Chamber loaded, cocked and locked(safety ON); or b)Chamber empty. Similarly, the M9 was far easier and safer to de-cock with a loaded round in the chamber. (Actually, regarding the M1911, preferably you'd just bypass the entire de-cocking process entirely, either totally unloading or merely putting the gun "on safe" regarding a chambered round).

        3)Increased magazine capacity. Let's see-15 + 1, versus 7 + 1, with ball ammunition having roughly the same documented real-world one-shot stopping power (approximately 64%) in both 9mm and .45 ACP-and a 9mm round having the additional advantage of being smaller and lighter. The NATO 9mm ball round has also been found to have superior penetrativeness to the .45 ACP ball round.

        4)The M9's combination of aluminum alloy frame and Bruniton-coated carbon steel slide and other components)is far more weather impervious to the M1911's parkerized steel frame and slide.

        5)Accuracy-Let me be careful here-I found the M9 to have superior accuracy to the service-issue M1911's that I personally experienced. In fairness to the 1911's, the newest was manufactured in 1945, and often they suffered from indifferent maintenance-particularly regarding recoil spring replacement (something that now is beginning to plague the M9 inventory, according to an excellent article by Larry Vickers in Shotgun News earlier this year).

        6)Fewer small-parts breakage/finickyness issues with the M9, and easier unit and echelon maintenance regarding major components. For example, if a locking block cracked, it was both still safe to use for 700 rounds, and far less expensive to replace than an entire barrel and/or slide, regarding the M1911's locking lugs and/or the barrel foot retaining the swinging link. Yes, the M9 is a more complex and parts-intensive gun, but I persoanlly regard it as being more reliable, due in primarily to both its design and manufacturing quality.

        7)Far better holster/magazine pouch; the Bianchi issue M12/UM84 is a far better in terms of design, materials used, operation, weather resistance and system flexibility and adaptiveness in several configurations than the various leather flap and shoulder holsters provided for the M1911 by the military.

        8)More controllable first shot-the single-action M1911 possesses an EASIER first shot, the DA/SA M9 has a more CONTROLLABLE first shot, especially in an high-adrenalin/degraded fine motor-skill situation.

        9)Easier operator disassembly/assembly regarding field-stripping, and overall better control parts ergonomics.

        All this said, I do agree with P22SAO that if given a choice today, my preference would be towards a Glock, either the G17 in 9mm or the G21/G21SF in .45 ACP, due to the overall simplicity, durability, reliability, and weather-imperviousness of both the basic pistol AND their magazines to hostile elements.

        I relatively recently handled and fired one of the M9A1's,and was very impressed with the refinments to the M9, and its triggerpull and DA-to-SA transitions, and accuracy. I currently own a 92D, which I tremendously enjoy and trust. If I were to get another 92-series gun, it would be a M9A1, in 9mm. If I chose to go the .40 route in a Beretta, it would be a PX4 (or similar Beretta/Stoeger Cougar in an aluminum framed gun) or 90-Two, due to their respective superior design (accomplished through experiences with the 96 series) incorporations making them capable of increased durability/longevity when firing the .40 round over time.

        Best, Jon
        Long live CALGUNS!

        Selling: ✮ GLOCK ✮ Beretta ✮ SIG Sauer ✮ Stuff ✮

        Comment

        • #5
          Stanze
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 3301

          Originally posted by Noypi916
          I think if this is being used by the US Military, i'd got to be good and realiable. IMHO
          *cough, lowest bidder, cough*
          Constitutionally, officials cannot license or register a fundamental right.

          "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin


          "Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze

          Comment

          • #6
            plinkmeister
            Member
            • Sep 2007
            • 214

            Originally posted by Stanze
            *cough, lowest bidder, cough*
            Lowest bidder among those who have met the standards, set by the mil.
            Only Sig and Beretta qualified and the beretta was a bit cheaper...

            Comment

            • #7
              Stanze
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 3301

              Originally posted by plinkmeister
              Lowest bidder among those who have met the standards, set by the mil.
              Only Sig and Beretta qualified and the beretta was a bit cheaper...
              I'm sure the M-16 ammo used in 'Nam was mil-spec and slightly cheaper as well. Anywhoo, you get what you pay for.
              Constitutionally, officials cannot license or register a fundamental right.

              "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin


              "Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze

              Comment

              • #8
                plinkmeister
                Member
                • Sep 2007
                • 214

                Sure, if you say so...

                Comment

                • #9
                  Holocanthus
                  Member
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 383

                  I bought mine because it feels right in my hand and I loved the safety mechanism on the beretta. Something to consider though. Beretta was designed to be a 9mm. The 40 is still a 9mm gun with just a bigger barrel and tends to be not as reliable. Can't go wrong in the 9mm though.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    461
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • 619

                    I too am prior military and my career also spanned the 1911 and M9 periods. I agree with everything posted by the prior Officer. I've seen (really seen) the Beretta deal with stuff that would make a 1911 cry and keep on ticking. There were indeed a few small issues at first but the bugs were worked out and the gun has had a good reputation since, the bugs in the 1911 are still there and folks can't seem to get enough of them.

                    In my opinion the Beretta is a great weapon that's been tested and proven like few other pistols on earth and has come out a winner.

                    I agree on the .40 vs 9mm statement, the 9mm would be my choice in the Beretta.
                    -Tim-

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      5968
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 3557

                      I spent a considerable time in the Army carrying the M9. I personally didn't care for it. I didn't like how the safety flipped, but some people really liked it. I also didn’t like the fact that it was a 9mm. The pistol felt alright in my hand and I was able to qualify expert with it. Depending on the pistol; some were very accurate while others groups were all over the silhouette during qualifications. I had no experience with Berettas prior to my time in the service. Most of my experience was with Rugers, Sigs and HKs. I have been out of the service for some time now. I have added many Sigs, HKs and even a Glock to my collection, but no Berettas. For a little bit more money, I think you can find a far superior pistol.
                      sigpicIf you loan someone twenty dollars and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
                      Originally posted by hoffmang
                      NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BlackReef
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • 3616

                        Thanks for the responses. I think I may be buying another Glock before I buy a Beretta, but they do fit my price range. Its nice to know they are at least a decent gun for the money.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          The Bacon Eater
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2007
                          • 2332

                          I have two and they are both excellent. Accurate and reliable i would not hesitate to buy another
                          Calguns member formerly known as Long Beach

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            1911su16b870
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Dec 2006
                            • 7654

                            I really like my 92FS. The fit nicely in my hands and are more than accurate for combat. I like the grip angle and weight of the pistol. I believe I shot a 594/600 for my qual with the 92FS. I would not hesitate to use this firearm. One day I'd like a 92G with the de-cocker only.
                            "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

                            NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
                            GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
                            Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
                            I instruct it if you shoot it.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Ech0Sierra
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2007
                              • 944

                              I love my Berettas, but Glocks and 1911s still have a place in my heart. If you want to plink, a Glock and a Beretta both will never let you down. The Beretta has the best aesthetics of everything in my safe, and is easier to field strip to boot.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1